excel magazine digital download

8 replies to this topic

#1 Bob The Bug OFFLINE  

Bob The Bug

Star Raider

• 69 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2016 7:53 AM

Hello to all Atari 8-bitters

If you find the postage costs of mailing out the printed magazine to your part of the world too expensive, I have been pondering on the idea of making the magazine available as a digital download, i.e. a PDF file available from the website @ £1 per issue.

Good idea... or crazy talk...?

#2 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Gridrunner

• 16,143 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2016 8:27 AM

Good idea. I don't really bother with physical magazines any more, so would consider it. Maybe a free preview would be good too, eg title page, contents and part of an article or something.

#3 ndary OFFLINE  

ndary

Dragonstomper

• 525 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2016 8:28 AM

i like physical magazines, but would mind paying for both

#4 orpheuswaking OFFLINE  

orpheuswaking

Quadrunner

• 5,833 posts
  • 1088XLD in progress

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2016 8:34 AM

Personally I prefer the printed magazine - really reminds me of the old days :) but I think having the option isn't a bad thing as long as it doesn't end up killing the print version. 

Is 1 gbp a good price?

#5 morelenmir OFFLINE  

morelenmir

Stargunner

• 1,544 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2016 8:53 AM

I have just been recommended the 'Excel' Magazine by a good friend on here and I have been wanting to give it the once over.  A *.PDF version would be an ideal way for me and other prospective subscribers.  I have no doubt that once we have a taste then we'll be wanting a physical magazine to add to our archives as well!!!  Although I fear my wife will not be pleased if I add more to my Atari paper collection/unsteady pile of 30 year old magazines!!!

#6 olix OFFLINE  

olix

Space Invader

• 46 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2016 9:04 AM

This is really a great magazin. I live in germany and ordered all 2 issues. The PDF version is really a good idea to save postage costs, but i think, you can ask for the same price as for the printed version, or at least 3,99. I will continue to order the printed edition but if i could additionally download the pdf version, i would be happy :)

#7 Larry OFFLINE  

Larry

River Patroller

• 4,109 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2016 10:09 AM

Good idea, but too cheap (IMO).  Maybe double that or so?

Presume that you have a method to control the downloads.

-Larry

#8 Fred_M OFFLINE  

Fred_M

Dragonstomper

• 567 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2016 10:50 AM

Great idea! I prefer to own the magazine on paper, but this would be an alternative.

Maybe another suggestion: can you combine shipping costs when multiple issues (on paper) are ordered?

#9 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Retro Madman

• 6,684 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2016 1:02 PM

Tricky situation here, the PDF is definitely worth at least £2.00 imho but a couple of the buy-able printed magazines with PDF version go for free (the PDF version only) on the C64 scene. Personally I'd start out on 2.00 and see how it gets on.

Hopefully you will get stuff sorted on the distribution side, I know you are trying desperately for that but people need to realise its the weak pound and a rip off postal system here causing the issues, not the magazine itself..

On a side note, I HATE PDF mags, too fiddly and there's just something that feels right with a real mag in your hands..PDF's loose the magic the mag had, better than nothing but the real thing roolz :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: excel, magazine, digital, download

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users