IGNORED

Ideas for re-printing the Analog Computing Pocket Reference?

Larry

I've tried this before, but my printers have all been for letter-sized paper only. When you try to shrink or even cut/paste individual sheets, the results are pretty unsatisfying. Mine fell apart from use years ago, and I think this would be an excellent "re-image." project.

Ideas?

-Larry

• Like 3

I've tried this before, but my printers have all been for letter-sized paper only. When you try to shrink or even cut/paste individual sheets, the results are pretty unsatisfying. Mine fell apart from use years ago, and I think this would be an excellent "re-image." project.

Ideas?

-Larry

Printing actual size is fine if you carry a sheet magnifier, but they certainly did pack a bundle of info into the reference booklet!

I've been intending to see about coming up with a way to make it easier on my aging eyes, but am currently preoccupied with inventorying and testing all of the Atari hardware I've been purchasing these last several months, and planning out repairs for the items needing attention. So, I'd be very interested in this discussion and some of the ideas that get floated by participants!

--Tim

Printing actual size is fine if you carry a sheet magnifier, but they certainly did pack a bundle of info into the reference booklet!

I've been intending to see about coming up with a way to make it easier on my aging eyes, but am currently preoccupied with inventorying and testing all of the Atari hardware I've been purchasing these last several months, and planning out repairs for the items needing attention. So, I'd be very interested in this discussion and some of the ideas that get floated by participants!

--Tim

After reading your comment about aging eyes I dug out my copy of the Pocket Reference Guide. Sure enough, a reprint isn't going to help me either.

Anyone have the coding chops to reconstitute the information into phone and/or tablet friendly apps? Alternate choice would be a well designed web page.

After reading your comment about aging eyes I dug out my copy of the Pocket Reference Guide. Sure enough, a reprint isn't going to help me either.

Anyone have the coding chops to reconstitute the information into phone and/or tablet friendly apps? Alternate choice would be a well designed web page.

I could - but I don't have a copy of the guide.

Hi Steve!

If you had a good clean copy that was say 10-20% larger, would that work for you? I don't actually have any issue with the present print size, but putting it into the fold-out format is a problem. Long time ago I scanned the card while it was still in good shape and then laminated it onto three sheets. This will be a good project for me, but ideas are always welcome.

-Larry

Hi Steve!

If you had a good clean copy that was say 10-20% larger, would that work for you? I don't actually have any issue with the present print size, but putting it into the fold-out format is a problem. Long time ago I scanned the card while it was still in good shape and then laminated it onto three sheets. This will be a good project for me, but ideas are always welcome.

-Larry

Hi Larry!

Looking at some of the tables, which I can still read with naked eyes but with considerable effort (one eye in focus and one not), I'd have to say 20% larger wouldn't suffice. Additionally, if we were to go any larger than 20% then the guide would start to resemble an old travel map.

A PDF would probably be the best way to satisfy all the ageing eyeballs, making it usable from any device. And Mr Fish could add it to his website for everyone to easily find and download when needed. Unless I'm mistaken, it sounds like Brent is working on something that could be put into this format.

- Michael

• Like 2

Those are nice quality scans! Is anybody good at removing the background color? If the yellow is removed and combined in a PDF then it should print out nicely.

I have most of the reference card typed up in Word. Should I finish it, or are these new scans sufficient?

D'OH!

I should have scanned them in black and white!

Brentarian, I'd like to have the information in digital form. I didn't know anyone was going to the trouble. Thanks.

I didn't even try to OCR the scans.

If you could scan them in B&W that would great, as I'm sure people still want a good original copy that can be printed. Only if you have time that is.

Plus, I need a good image of the ANALOG logo. :)

I'll try to finish the digital version of Analog this weekend.

Thanks!

Edited by Brentarian
  • Like 1

Ideas?

-Larry

This is my approach. I guess the original is on legal size sheets, 4 folded?

Anyway, it is now reworked for PDF including index and ocr, greyscale pages. May be this is more suited to be printed.

APRC_OCR_i.pdf

• Like 6

I'm thinking perhaps an updated reference card could be nice. One that has more modern stuff in it, for instance TurboBASIC and BASIC XE commands, and SDX commands. Also some things like the full set of 6502 addressing modes, PIA control bits for memory banking, ANTIC opcodes and POKEY control bits could be added. And the color values could actually include colored swatches.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 2

This is my approach. I guess the original is on legal size sheets, 4 folded?

Anyway, it is now reworked for PDF including index and ocr, greyscale pages. May be this is more suited to be printed.

Yes, now that is a really nice scan/PDF!

-Larry

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm a bit late. Meanwhile people (Timothy Kline and GoodByteXL) have again been working on this. Yesterday I had redone the scans in black and white but neglected to upload them here.

Two color mode saves a lot of space and eliminates reproducing the original paper's dye colors visible in the earlier scans.

-SteveS

ANALOG_Pocket_Reference_Card_BW.zip

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 4

So now we have good data to print. I would think the ideal would be to have one folded document, like the original. But that means joining sheets. (?) Any ideas on that?

-Larry

Could save each page as a BMP or PNG, and join to a big document that way. Not sure how large people want these printed though.