IGNORED

Homebrew ROM's (Unreleased or Incomplete)?

ZillaRUSH

Hasn't the whole Boulder Dash ROM topic already been run into the ground? Why stir it up again?

What we know is that digital distribution had a number of requirements that made it challenging both practically and financially for Elektronite. One of those challenges / barriers was ROM distribution. I.e. FSS didn't want their intellectual property put up on a ROM sharing site.

I'm sure nobody here would violate the wishes of FSS, but "scout's honor" likely won't cut it for them. You have to remember FSS is a business that uses their intellectual property to, you know, make money and pay their employees. Sure, the Intellivision Boulder Dash ROM might only end up buying a team lunch in the long run, but if they break the practice of keeping their I.P. controlled on one platform, that may cause trouble for them on other, more profitable platforms.

So, good luck with that. It'd be great if the ROM becomes available, but based on the exhaustive discussions already dealing with this particular game, a different outcome seems ... unlikely.

• Like 2

Well, I wasn't part of that thread, so it's automatically nullified. It never happened. :-D

You did post on that thread. Not much, but you did.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/239553-boulder-dash-rom-will-not-be-released/?p=3273029

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/239553-boulder-dash-rom-will-not-be-released/?p=3274719

... and a few more ...

From the few I saw, I can't tell if you were just posting to post -- they didn't seem to actually discuss the topic at hand.

You did post on that thread. Not much, but you did.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/239553-boulder-dash-rom-will-not-be-released/?p=3273029

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/239553-boulder-dash-rom-will-not-be-released/?p=3274719

... and a few more ...

From the few I saw, I can't tell if you were just posting to post -- they didn't seem to actually discuss the topic at hand.

Wow, you are spending a lot of effort in researching old threads for a topic you have admitted yourself had been beaten to death already. Even your previous response was significantly larger than Eric's comments.

Why not just ignore Eric and his antics?

Wow, you are spending a lot of effort in researching old threads for a topic you have admitted yourself had been beaten to death already. Even your previous response was significantly larger than Eric's comments.

Why not just ignore Eric and his antics?

Eric....can not be ignored. He is the latest and best sensation to hit these here boards in a millenium!

• Like 1

Well, guys... I tried...

At least I wasn't afraid to contact them, and give it a go!

It's not like I've lost faith in humanity... yet... I mean, I'm sure they're still nice people...

And I stand by what I said before... sometimes, all you have to do is ask. Just be ready to be disappointed, sometimes, I guess...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Thank you for your prompt reply and clarification.
Since we continue to actively publish and otherwise commercially exploit Boulder Dash (for example, 7 days ago we released the PC & Mac versions of Boulder Dash-30th anniversary on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/502320/ ) we can not condone non-commercial distribution of any platform version of any of the many games in the Boulder Dash series.
To do so would not be fair to our partners who have made, and continue to make, significant investments in supporting the Boulder Dash brand. Further, we have fiduciary responsibilities to third party royalty participants to protect the Boulder Dash intellectual property.
Those are just some of the reasons why we can not grant permission to release a free version of the ROM of the Intellivision, or any other version(s), of Boulder Dash Vol. 1 ... or any of the other games in the Boulder Dash series.
We very much appreciate your kind consideration and your asking us directly about this and do hope that you can understand our (necessary) position on this topic.
I believe First Star Software, Inc. and Boulder Dash may be different than most, if not all, of the other 'retro' titles that have been ported to Intellivision due to our continued development and publishing activities.
I'm sorry if this is a disappointment.
Best regards,
Dianne
First Star Software, Inc.
Edited by Eric7100
  • Like 2

Posted Yesterday, 10:28 AM

From my experience in talking with them, the people at First Star seem very nice and reasonable. I bet if you ask them for permission, they'll agree to just about anything. I don't see a future ROM being a problem. But that's just my opinion. Obviously, I am not in a position to promise anything.

Eric, you really are out to lunch in so many ways. (For the non-native English speakers that means having no idea what is happening)

It is quite ironic that you believe your efforts to bring a 'free ROM of Boulder Dash' to the Intellivision community' are actually moving the possibility forward. If anything, you are ruining any remote chance that there will ever be a ROM release of that game.

All you have to do is 'ask them for permission' and 'they'll agree to just about anything'?!!!! What ARE you smoking?

Why do you ALWAYS have to ignore the facts when they don't correspond to your idea of what you believe or wish the situation really was?

Boulder Dash® has a 'registered trademark' symbol on it. That means that it is a commercial property.

I emailed them. We'll see what happens. :)

EDIT: Although I fully acknowledge that I can't make any promises, we all have to remember that these are human beings and gaming enthusiasts like us. They are not out to make our lives miserable. Sometimes, all you have to do is ask.

Gaming enthusiasts? Really? Where did you get the impression that FSS were NOT a video game company and just a group of 'gaming enthusiasts'? What part of 'Boulder Dash is not homebrew' did you not get the first couple of dozen times we said it? If you were going to ask for a ROM release, you could have at least gone to them with a proposal and money in hand. You actually expected them to just say 'OK, no problem....we'll agree to just about anything....as long as you ask permission....here's the game'.......you must have thought that I gave them some buttons and beach rocks to co-publish the game, right?

Finally, as per usual, you have NO sense of discretion. That response from FSS was considered private and confidential. Yet, you go post it in a public forum. I know from experience that anything I say to you will not be kept private, even if I make a specific request for you to keep it private. However, I should have warned Dianne about you. But, I thought your days of emailing FSS were through.

I'd have sent this to you privately, but I know that there is no sense in it as you'd have posted it in the forum. I really wonder if your total lack of filters in real life cause you problems? Do you keep anything private?

Eric, you really are out to lunch in so many ways. (For the non-native English speakers that means having no idea what is happening)

It is quite ironic that you believe your efforts to bring a 'free ROM of Boulder Dash' to the Intellivision community' are actually moving the possibility forward. If anything, you are ruining any remote chance that there will ever be a ROM release of that game.

All you have to do is 'ask them for permission' and 'they'll agree to just about anything'?!!!! What ARE you smoking?

Why do you ALWAYS have to ignore the facts when they don't correspond to your idea of what you believe or wish the situation really was?

Boulder Dash® has a 'registered trademark' symbol on it. That means that it is a commercial property.

Gaming enthusiasts? Really? Where did you get the impression that FSS were NOT a video game company and just a group of 'gaming enthusiasts'? What part of 'Boulder Dash is not homebrew' did you not get the first couple of dozen times we said it? If you were going to ask for a ROM release, you could have at least gone to them with a proposal and money in hand. You actually expected them to just say 'OK, no problem....we'll agree to just about anything....as long as you ask permission....here's the game'.......you must have thought that I gave them some buttons and beach rocks to co-publish the game, right?

Finally, as per usual, you have NO sense of discretion. That response from FSS was considered private and confidential. Yet, you go post it in a public forum. I know from experience that anything I say to you will not be kept private, even if I make a specific request for you to keep it private. However, I should have warned Dianne about you. But, I thought your days of emailing FSS were through.

I'd have sent this to you privately, but I know that there is no sense in it as you'd have posted it in the forum. I really wonder if your total lack of filters in real life cause you problems? Do you keep anything private?

To quote [ignored User]:

"Oh, FFS... :("

I am so disappointed that his powers of persuasion failed us all :mad:

Where is the First Star Software office, maybe he should ask to be on the next board meeting, that'll convince them...

I think it would be acceptable to publicly post a summary or description of an email or private message; unless it specifically says private and confidential. But regardless, as GFYI said, you should not post a copy of the email or private message without their permission. As far as doing damage, I think video game companies are use to getting all kinds of letters from all kinds of people of various ages.

• Like 1

For what it is worth, First Star Software are no different than any other company who retain their intellectual properties. You don't have to compare them to Nintendo, it is enough to compare them with Paul McKenna, who was about to make big money on cellphone versions of his old games, thus the old versions may not float around on the Internet as those would work against his sales on the remakes.

• Like 1

All you have to do is 'ask them for permission' and 'they'll agree to just about anything'?!!!!

However, I should have warned Dianne about you. But, I thought your days of emailing FSS were through.

Everyone has a price. If you offer them enough money, they'd bite. But of course, I don't have that kind of money. It was still worth a try. I have no regrets.

It's not like I'm emailing them "on your behalf." I am acting as a private civilian. I have every right to email who I choose, without YOUR permission.

• Like 2

Everyone has a price. If you offer them enough money, they'd bite. But of course, I don't have that kind of money. It was still worth a try. I have no regrets.

It's not like I'm emailing them "on your behalf." I am acting as a private civilian. I have every right to email who I choose, without YOUR permission.

Did you ask them about what that "kind of money" would look like? Perhaps it's not as impossible as you may think. Perhaps it is, but we don't know, right?

(They did give you the opportunity to tell them what sort of arrangement you were looking for, they just rejected "free".)

Content Deleted - Why try to explain anything. Back to Facebook for some Trump shit.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: (Classified) This AtariAge Intellivision Forum message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information or otherwise be protected by law. This notice serves as a confidentiality marking for the purpose of any confidentiality or nondisclosure agreement. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this reply. Please notify the sender immediately by message, if you have received this message by mistake and delete this delete from your system. AtariAge Intellivision Forum transmissions cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or contain viruses. The sender, therefore, does not accept liability for any errors, omissions or damage caused by any virus transmitted by this error.