IGNORED

vcs double mega cart

universal2600

hello I recently picked up another 2600(jr), and in the process of making a reprogrammable 2600 cart, I have a question, I saw this page about a 1(actually up to 2 megs) meg cart, and wondered could one make a cart instead using a am29f040 512k chip with 32-64k sram, you'd and a12 -a11 together to enable a series of shift registers, as a 8bit parallel to serial shift register on the data bus, would feed into a 16bit serial to parallel then back into two 595's which could be latched, this would be used to select the 16bit address by loading lower 8bits, then upper, then enable the latch and then enable the sram and provide the the information on the data bus (to write sram just be sure the overflow bit is set to 1 on the upper 595 and invert it to active low to supply oe leave it high to read), 29f040 could be banked using a12 or a11 as enable with a 4 bit shift register/latch to provide the a12-a16 to select different banks from the chip. this is probably over complicated but it was an idea i just wanted to know (its probably doable but not in this fashion) would some sort of scheme like this work?

Edited by universal2600