IGNORED

WTB: Scooby Doo Mystery Genesis / question about region lock/Game Genie

karokoenig

To my utter surprise, I recently learned that a point & click adventure exists on the Genesis. And being the LucasArts/Sierra/Westwood fan that I am, I naturally want to play it.

So if any of you guys has Scooby Doo Mystery for Genesis and would want to part with it for a reasonable price, that would be sweet, Cart only will be fine (and less expensive), since I don't expect to have a lot of problems with the gameplay mechanics. Shipping will be to Germany.

One more question: I checked, and like most late Genesis games, this seems to have an on-cart region lock. I do have a Game Genie, and on this site http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/916377-genesis/faqs/60595it says the following:

Scooby Doo Mystery
(Japan PAL code)
AABT-AN22
AABT-AN3J

Would that code work for a European Mega Drive? It doesn't make complete sense, since the game doesn't seem to have a Japanese release, and Japan uses NTSC, as far as I know. How do I read this entry?

Most earlier Genesis games run fine on a european Mega Drive, just a little slower than intended. Only later, they started to hardwire a region lock into the carts. What then happens is that it actually tells you on the screen that you have to use this cart in a US system.

It's even nastier in some SNES games, by the way. The US version of Demon's Crest, for example, lets you play halfway through the introductory stage, then abruptly freezes and tells you to get a US system or f*** off.

Most earlier Genesis games run fine on a european Mega Drive, just a little slower than intended. Only later, they started to hardwire a region lock into the carts. What then happens is that it actually tells you on the screen that you have to use this cart in a US system.

It's even nastier in some SNES games, by the way. The US version of Demon's Crest, for example, lets you play halfway through the introductory stage, then abruptly freezes and tells you to get a US system or f*** off.

Right that's what I thought as well I thought it was after 1993 the carts began to have lockouts. But the good old Game Genie can bypass that.

I wonder if you can use the mouse with Scooby Do now that would be cool.

Tempting... but a little risky as long as it's not clear what those available codes actually do.

Those codes bypass the region check. I had to do the same thing to Golden Axe 3. They may have been different codes. At any rate I would have no way of checking the game anyhow to verify it works properly on Pal.

If you have a programmer and can solder I could tell you how. I could patch the file for you and send you it. I could also send you an eprom programmed already and you could solder it into a donor board as well. Or you could just get the real game and game genie it lol.

Those codes bypass the region check. I had to do the same thing to Golden Axe 3. They may have been different codes. At any rate I would have no way of checking the game anyhow to verify it works properly on Pal.

If you have a programmer and can solder I could tell you how. I could patch the file for you and send you it. I could also send you an eprom programmed already and you could solder it into a donor board as well. Or you could just get the real game and game genie it lol.

All this for just one game but there are some good options out there. Are we up to a price point where an Everdrive might be the best way to go?

All this for just one game but there are some good options out there. Are we up to a price point where an Everdrive might be the best way to go?

An eprom is only $2. I wasn't going to charge him for modding the rom. At any rate would the rom unmodified still cause problems on his system or no? I'm not well knowledgeable on everdrives but unless it has software built in to bypass the region check he would still need to use a game genie or input game genie codes if the everdrive has one built in.

An eprom is only $2. I wasn't going to charge him for modding the rom. At any rate would the rom unmodified still cause problems on his system or no? I'm not well knowledgeable on everdrives but unless it has software built in to bypass the region check he would still need to use a game genie or input game genie codes if the everdrive has one built in.

Nope you are right Everdrives would still be region encoded sadly. Eproms being at $2 though yeah that would be a good way to do it for cheap though. I like the thought of it for sure.

• 3 weeks later...