Photo

822 Thermal Printer

11 replies to this topic

#1 gilsaluki OFFLINE  

gilsaluki

Dragonstomper

• 682 posts

Posted Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:57 AM

Does anyone on this planet have an Atari 822 Printer?  If so, what do you use it for.   I wish I had bought one "back in the day".  Impossible to find now.

#2 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• 1,191 posts

Posted Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:41 PM

There was one on EBay UK recently and I remember another one a couple of month ago. It would probably be nice for program listings if you don't care for longevity.

#3 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• 1,191 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:52 AM

Another one with a price that makes the last one that I found too expensive for me look like a bargain....

#4 gilsaluki OFFLINE  

gilsaluki

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 682 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:32 AM

Whoa! I remember them brand new for $15 at San Jose Computer. He couldn't get rid of them. In fact, sometimes he'd throw in one for free is you order two software titles. My, my, supply and demand.
  • slx likes this

#5 Bill Lange OFFLINE  

Bill Lange

Dragonstomper

• 849 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:56 AM

I have one. It sits there and looks pretty. I'm planning on using the three early printers: 820, 822, 825, in my next VCF exhibit next year.

• slx likes this

#6 DGS-Atari OFFLINE  

DGS-Atari

Star Raider

• 62 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:49 AM

I can't believe how much these things are selling for. I remember Derek Fern (Micro Discount) had a load of them out of the Atari UK warehouse he'd cleared out in about 1990 time. They were all returns, but most did actually work. I think he sold me a few of these things for about £10 each. Sold them all though not long after. Should have kept them! Getting the paper was the problem, but if you knew somebody with an industrial saw you could get a roll of thermal fax paper and cut it to the correct width.

• slx likes this

#7 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• 1,191 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:47 AM

Never saw one in the wild here in Austria but always thought it would be a neat, compact period device to have. At current prices, I'll pass. I suppose that thing is heavier than it looks, though, with an all-metal case.

(And I shouldn't have given away my EPSON FX-80.....)

Edited by slx, Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:47 AM.

#8 Bill Lange OFFLINE  

Bill Lange

Dragonstomper

• 849 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:16 PM

Here is a photo of my 820 and 822. These things are beasts! They look great along side the Atari 800 tank of a computer! The 822 is quite a bit bigger, but not actually that much heavier.

IMG_0947.JPG

Edited by Bill Lange, Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:58 PM.

#9 tschak909 ONLINE  

tschak909

Stargunner

• 1,857 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:20 PM

irony here is that both of these mechanisms came from the industrial printing world originally for things like cash registers or monitoring stations, the 822 is a re-badged Trendcom with the centronics circuitry removed, and the 820 is a re-badged Eaton 7000+ printer, again with serial interfacing removed. 

The only full carriage printer that Atari sold out of the lot was the 825, which was a straight re-badge of the Centronics 737 (Centronics refused to sell Atari a bare mech, so this was one of the driving forces behind the creation of the 850)

-Thom

#10 gilsaluki OFFLINE  

gilsaluki

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 682 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:01 PM

I have been using an 820 for thirty years. Yeah, a real beast. San Jose Computer guy sold it to me for $15. I said, "Why do I need one of those?". His response, "Why not?" For that price, he was right. Should have gotten the thermal printer (822) as well.
  • slx likes this

#11 KLund1 OFFLINE  

KLund1

Moonsweeper

• 478 posts

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:21 PM

I have a 822, partly working. That all metal housing, and internals make it quite heavy. I think we had it on display this year at VCF-W, along with an 820 and 825, both working.

#12 wood_jl OFFLINE  

wood_jl

Quadrunner

• 6,851 posts

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:58 PM

The 822 was my first printer!

I bought it out of a bargain bin in the toy section of JC Penny, in the early 1980s.  At that time, it was several hundred dollars for something like an Atari 825 or Epson MX-80, plus the expense of an Atari 850 Interface (remember how expensive those were).  It was the only way I could print anything out of my Atari for a while.

I remember other Atari BBS SYSOPS used the 820 on their BBS, and used to tell me about hearing the noisy 820 from bed across the house, as people would leave a "Message To SYSOP" at some ungodly hour.  I missed out on the 820.  I tried for a while to look for 'em, but they're just too rare, expensive, and not so usable to me now.  I stocked up on Epson FX-80s (well, 2 is a stock now) so I can do a vintage Print Shop printout, now and then.  That's about all they are good for.

About a year ago, I heard an old-school dot matrix impact printer going at the Bone and Joint clinic.  I hadn't heard one in years.  I was waiting for it to print across the perforation and make that really loud sound, and it did!  I couldn't believe it.  Isn't it cheaper to have a laser printer print two pages than tear apart those archaic tractor feed multi-part forms?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users