IGNORED

Sega 32X makes the screen a little darker and colors more saturated

eightbit

Is this normal? Backstory:

I purchased a Genesis 2 (VA4 board) which has a phenomenally bright and clear picture. I found a second VA4 that is the same. I also purchased a 32X unit on ebay which I am using with one of the Genesis consoles, so now I can compare the video quality on two genesis VA4 models one with 32X and one without.

Everywhere I read the consensus seems to be that the 32X enhances the video output. Not in my case. The video coming out of it is a lot darker and the colors are much more saturated. I have to increase the picture and brightness and lower the color on the TV in orde rto make it look better.

With the other VA4 (without a 32X) I have to re-adjust the TV and turn up the color and DOWN the picture and brightness because it is that bright and clear (after using the console with 32X attached)

Has anyone else experienced this using a 32X? The screen darker? The output does not look as crisp as without it as well...but it is overall still pretty nice looking.

Edited by eightbit

My 32x s-video modded has such a better picture over my genesis model 1 with its s-video that I've left the 32x permanently attached and all video is output from it now. I can't speak on the model 2s as I've honestly never used a 32x on a model 2. I have a few model 2s laying around but just always used my model 1.

So in a nutshell my 32x produces a much better overall picture on my flat panel as opposed to my genesis by itself.

• Like 1

Fixed my own problem. This is what I get from splitting composite video connections in order to accommodate more systems :) Direct connection to the TV yields a very bright and clear picture :)

How are you splitting it? If you aren't using a video amplifier, then the picture is going to significantly degrade like you experienced.

I have a Marantz amp that is basically currently acting only as a big switchbox (no room anymore for speakers since my move) and I used up all of the composite connections on it. I was down to the last available connection and simply used a composite splitter on vid and audio left/right...sharing the Genesis with a Jaguar (not both turned on at the same time of course). The Jag looked great...the Genesis not so much. I also tried powered Terk MOD-41 switches which always worked fine for me in the past, but now they seem to "pull" the composite signal on the top edges of the screen on the Genesis for some odd reason. I am starting to think the video input #1 on my Trinitron has an issue but I have been too lazy to pull that heavy sucker out :)

Edited by eightbit

I know. I should know better. Not my first rodeo on hooking things up :) I figured it would work at least ok...and it did to some extent. The Jag looked the same as direct connected...but the Genesis was darker and muddier. Funny how that works. I am just glad it wasn't an issue with the 32X. I received this 32X "untested" from ebay and it initially did not work at all until I reseated the internal ribbon cables. That is what had me worried, but all for nothing. The 32X works like a dream. Now I can see Virtua Racing :)

Edited by eightbit

Wonder if there is a market in making a low cost composite video amp in here .... hmm

And Osgeld, yes, if you can make something that deals with the Genesis composite in switchbox form I am all in. It seems the Genesis (I have tested two model 1's and two model 2's) all act "funny" when connected to a composite switchbox and not directly connected to the TV. All of the other consoles I have (NES, SNES, N64, Jag, C128) seem to be fine with it. The Genesis seems really demanding :) And again the switchboxes I was using (two of them) are powered as well. Really strange.

Edited by eightbit

Composite video amps are pretty cheap if I remember correctly. Cheap enough at least to where there might not be a need for a cheaper alternative.

A few years back I picked up something like this (minus the S-Video port), and it was under $20 after shipping for two (since I needed it for recording purposes, figured it was good to have a backup just in case). http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-1172-Radio-Shack-1x4-S-Video-Audio-Composite-Video-Splitter-Amplifier-/272397576195?hash=item3f6c292803:g:9D8AAOSwpLNX78t~