IGNORED

The 2 buttons: Xevious and Asteroids Deluxe

Tangentg

I've been playing Xevious and Asteroids Deluxe on EMU7800 and ProSystem (Both 7800 emulators) and I noticed something strange regarding the buttons:

In Xevious, for ProSystem (which doesn't support the second button) and MESS, one button both shoots normal bullets and bombs (in MESS, both buttons have the same effect of doing both simultaneously), whereas in EMU7800, the 2 buttons shoot and bomb respectively, separately. Though the manual seems to say that 1 button does both...

As for Asteroids Deluxe, on EMU7800, button 1 shoots and button 2 activates the shield, while the down button does nothing (in Xevious, the down button moves your ship down, so "down" probably didn't just map to button 2). Whereas in ProSystem, where button 2 isn't supported, pressing down activates the shield.

Why is that?

Also, I always thought the 7800 version of Xevious wasn't as good as the NES version cause you couldn't fire and bomb separately, but this seems to take the argument away.

Edited by Tangentg

Xevious - Console difficulty switches setting matters. For MAME/MESS, make sure you have it set accordingly:

post-18-0-10766800-1475404676_thumb.png

For the Prosystem emulator version you are utilizing, difficulty switch selection is not properly emulated.

EMU7800 evidently already has the console position set to "B - Left Position".

Asteroids Deluxe - Down should do nothing when an independent two button controller is connected. The ProSystem emulator is mapping shields to down, because it is not properly emulating two independent button joystick inputs, and the game believes you have a one button controller connected. When a one button controller is connected, down = shields.

EMU7800 evidently, like MAME/MESS, properly emulates two independent joystick inputs.

*EDIT:

Oh I just learnt about the difficulty switches on Xevious. It seems to be determined by those for that game.
And the difficulty switches don't seem to work on ProSystem...

The ProSystem emulator version posted here has the difficulty switch issue fixed.

P.S. Zophar's Domain, was great in the late 90's/early 2000's. So was Archaic Ruins and Damaged Cybernetics too. Lots of drama. :P

• Like 1

Xevious - Console difficulty switches setting matters. For MAME/MESS, make sure you have it set accordingly. .

attachicon.gifXEVIOUS_DIP.PNG

For the Prosystem emulator version you are utilizing, difficulty switch selection is not properly emulated.

EMU7800 evidently already has the console position set to "B - Left Position".

Asteroids Deluxe - Down should do nothing when an independent two button controller is connected. The ProSystem emulator is mapping shields to down, because it is not properly emulating two independent button joystick inputs, and the game believes you have a one button controller connected. When a one button controller is connected, down = shields.

EMU7800 evidently, like MAME/MESS, properly emulates two independent joystick inputs.

*EDIT:

The ProSystem emulator version posted here has the difficulty switch issue fixed.

Whoops, I found that out right before you posted.

For two buggy emulators, these are all more sophisticated than I thought, though it's probably the games themselves rather than the consoles.

I'm pretty sure the version I have is already the latest, but I'll check it out. Then again, if the second button doesn't do anything, I doubt it really matters.

I thought the 7800 totally abandoned the difficulty switches cause the difficulty is usually set on-screen and that it was just for 2600 games. Guess I was wrong, fortunately.

Thanks.

Edited by Tangentg