IGNORED

Chicago TI International World Faire

Airshack

Yeah, no idea who had it before. Jim says the 384k PFM will be the flash boot, and it has the 192k upgraded 9938 RAM. It is missing the zero wait-state mod. Jon recommended I send it up to you (if you have time) or Richard Bell to have a look-see before I try using it, just in case, and I would rather be safe than sorry.

1. Not sure which 0-wait state mod Jim is referring to. It might refer to the Turbo video PAL (from WHT) which doesn't appear to be installed. The 384K memory option is 0-wait state.

2. Agreed, the 192K video mod is present.

3. The 384K is not PFM/flash; that is high speed RAM. It replaced the standard 32K chip with 384K , using two installation methods: 3 x 128K chips stacked or a single 512K chip. The latter was mostly installed by me after I took over Myarc repairs from Cecure.

4. The PFM is either two stacked 29c010 chips (2 x 128K flash) or a single 29c040 chip (512K flash) . Both have their nuances. The single-chip mod was installed by me and later, by Richard.

You will need a video cable for either composite output or RBG w/appropriate analog RGB monitor, and a keyboard. If you get that far, firing it up in a PEB is pretty simple. It will boot whatever OS is loaded into the flash, most likely MDOS 5.00 unless the previous owner updated the OS. If you are comfortable installing cards in a PEB, I see no reason not to try it yourself. Be sure the case is ON before inserting, otherwise the Geneve will rock and in turn, short pins within the PEB backplane connectors.

I often wrote my initials and the date on the back of each updated/repaired card, usually within the square solder points from the gate array socket. My guess is this was modified in 1997.

I may have misunderstood what Jim said about the 384k chip in there. In any case, I expect it will arrive for me late next week and I will get to try it out. Like Vorticon, I would love some documentation. In particular the video port pin-out will be useful (though I am led to believe in composite mode the port acts like a 99/4A video port for composite so cables are compatible.) I can work out the RGB connection when the time comes.

I may have misunderstood what Jim said about the 384k chip in there. In any case, I expect it will arrive for me late next week and I will get to try it out. Like Vorticon, I would love some documentation. In particular the video port pin-out will be useful (though I am led to believe in composite mode the port acts like a 99/4A video port for composite so cables are compatible.) I can work out the RGB connection when the time comes.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/223677-gbs-8220-to-sgcpu-or-geneve/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3407238

• Like 1

Tim, I got a standard Geneve at the Faire, but I am completely unfamiliar with it's operation. I'm looking for a manual and the latest MDOS disk to get started. Is there an online resource available for this?

Check the Geneve folder on ftp.whtech.com. The distribution copy of Geneve OS (MDOS) 6.50 is there as is a modified Geneve manual. Michael's wiki has some good information as well.

Someone was re-writing the Geneve manual years ago to being it more in line with today's OS and hardware setups, current as of MDOS 6.00. I may have the doc in Word format or WordPerfect... I haven't a clue where it is right now, though, and I won't be able to look until the weekend at the earliest.

Sounds like a good time, guys! I just started with the TI-99 about two weeks ago when I got my very first one unit (the beige one, but got a good price on it, so couldn't pass it up), so I am still exploring the system, but maybe next year I will feel confident to swing by the Faire. :)

• Like 1

Sounds like a good time, guys! I just started with the TI-99 about two weeks ago when I got my very first one unit (the beige one, but got a good price on it, so couldn't pass it up), so I am still exploring the system, but maybe next year I will feel confident to swing by the Faire. :)

Welcome aboard! If you got hold of a v2.2 model make sure you understand the limitation of only being able to run GROM-based cartridges (natively, anyway.) That will eliminate much cussing when some carts do not work as expected.

Check the Geneve folder on ftp.whtech.com. The distribution copy of Geneve OS (MDOS) 6.50 is there as is a modified Geneve manual. Michael's wiki has some good information as well.

Someone was re-writing the Geneve manual years ago to being it more in line with today's OS and hardware setups, current as of MDOS 6.00. I may have the doc in Word format or WordPerfect... I haven't a clue where it is right now, though, and I won't be able to look until the weekend at the earliest.

Thanks Tim. Appreciate it!

Welcome aboard! If you got hold of a v2.2 model make sure you understand the limitation of only being able to run GROM-based cartridges (natively, anyway.) That will eliminate much cussing when some carts do not work as expected.

Yes, I got v2.2. This is fine with me, since I think for the first few months, I will stick to the TI-branded carts. If I REALLY need to play Atari games, I can just fire up the XEGS. ;)

Grabbed me a nicely-expanded Geneve :)

I bought that Geneve new (I remember saving and debating whether I should plunk down the money. It was a lot of money for me at the time). I think I hand-carried it to Cecure (somewhere near Chicago, I think) to get it modified. I met with Don Walden and said that this computer was my baby. I don't remember if all of the mods were done at the same time. I can't find my paperwork from Cecure. I was hoping to find it in advance of the show, to take with me.

I hope it works well for you (as well as all of the other equipment that others picked up). Thanks for all of the help from you (and everyone else) while I was at the Faire (and the very interesting demos). I had a great time. I had forgotten how much fun the computer shows are to attend. It was great to see people that I haven't met in person in about 20 years, as well as meet many new people.

• Like 5

I bought that Geneve new (I remember saving and debating whether I should plunk down the money. It was a lot of money for me at the time). I think I hand-carried it to Cecure (somewhere near Chicago, I think) to get it modified. I met with Don Walden and said that this computer was my baby. I don't remember if all of the mods were done at the same time. I can't find my paperwork from Cecure. I was hoping to find it in advance of the show, to take with me.

I hope it works well for you (as well as all of the other equipment that others picked up). Thanks for all of the help from you (and everyone else) while I was at the Faire (and the very interesting demos). I had a great time. I had forgotten how much fun the computer shows are to attend. It was great to see people that I haven't met in person in about 20 years, as well as meet many new people.

Wow... that is awesome testimony and it adds even more value to it for me. Thank you, again. I hope all goes well for you and we get to see you again next year.

Damn nice find, man!

I just fetched the box in which I shipped my goodies only to find that the FedEx on Green Bay Rd in Evanston used absolutely NO packing materials what-so-ever. I have not checked out everything, but the fact that my console has no keys broken off of it and the Geneve has no apparent visible damage is nothing short of a miracle.

post-27864-0-57839200-1477351095_thumb.jpgpost-27864-0-20512800-1477351107_thumb.jpgpost-27864-0-97316200-1477351117_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Damn nice find, man!

I just fetched the box in which I shipped my goodies only to find that the FedEx on Green Bay Rd in Evanston used absolutely NO packing materials what-so-ever. I have not checked out everything, but the fact that my console has no keys broken off of it and the Geneve has no apparent visible damage is nothing short of a miracle.

attachicon.gifDSC01226.JPGattachicon.gifDSC01228.JPGattachicon.gifDSC01229.JPG

Holy crap. And they probably charged you an arm and a leg for the postage, right? Geez! I'd send FedEx these pics on Twitter and ask for my money back. You paid them for a service (packing and postage) and they miserably failed at one of those two things.

• Like 1

Holy crap. And they probably charged you an arm and a leg for the postage, right? Geez! I'd send FedEx these pics on Twitter and ask for my money back. You paid them for a service (packing and postage) and they miserably failed at one of those two things.

I have been in contact with FedEx and raised a helluva stink. The local manager is looking into what happened and the store will be refunding everything but the shipping (my request, since they did at least get the stuff to me.)

I suppose, then, it was a good thing Klaus got that Rave-99 and not me... it might have been destroyed!! ;)