IGNORED

Ace Tracker - pops n clicks?

uji

Hey guys,

Still early days for me, got all my upgrades on order but finally got a USB floppy drive for my PC at least. I've been trying out Ace Tracker but I've noticed pops and clicks coming from the right channel when I run the software. These pops n clicks happen randomly even when not playing music.

I *have* read through google searches of other ppl experiencing this on ace tracker. One person started getting these issues after installing a DSP. Another person I read was just stock. Anyway, these pops n clicks only seem to happen in Ace Tracker so far.

Any thoughts?

I am hoping after I install my PSU upgrade from exxos it might help with over-all sound quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update - not all good, not all songs play at a higher Khz and cause CPU overload due to using more channels. Nobody else experienced this before with Falcons? I've even tried going through a FDI > Optical to a DAC and it still does it.

Does the tracker use the DSP ? Does your Falcon have the clock patches done ?

Ace tracker definitely uses the DSP, it's famous for being the best DSP tracker for the Falcon. I haven't had any clock patches, they look so difficult to do. I was just surprised that someone would write software that depended on people having a clock patch, surely the developers would have mentioned it in their documentation if that was the case, I would have thought.

Ace tracker definitely uses the DSP, it's famous for being the best DSP tracker for the Falcon. I haven't had any clock patches, they look so difficult to do. I was just surprised that someone would write software that depended on people having a clock patch, surely the developers would have mentioned it in their documentation if that was the case, I would have thought.

The clock patch solves noise and glitches in the clocks which can cause things like the DSP to "skip" a clock cycle which causes audio artifacts. Mostly there should be a resistor in series with the DSP clock which might be enough to solve DSP audio problems without the patch. This is a pure hardware fault and has nothing to do with any software used.

I see, that makes sense. I realise you're a busy man but is there any chance you could be so kind as to guide me in putting that resistor in? I don't know if you have a photo available that you could show me, or draw on. Thanks man.

I don't think there is any guides or image or anything of it being done. I did it on my Falcon some 20 years ago, but later took them out as it was part of nemesis upgrade.

Though I found a image here..

http://atariage.com/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2008/post-6701-1209333214.jpg

bottom right, looks like a track being cut.. I would cut that track and fix a small SMT resistor there. Something like 47R.

The DMA IC (U36) has a black wire.. thats the clock to the DMA. some guides say solder a resistor to GND, but I didn't like that as it loaded the clock line to much. Though that goes back to the "clock patch" IC where that mod should be done aswell. I assume the clock patch solves the DMA clock issue.. I will have to try and scope it out next time I have my test Falcon connected up.. Really the clock patch should have some resistors in series with the clock lines, but I haven't ever seen that done yet.

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/falcpatch/index.htm