IGNORED

new batch of 7800 games coming to the AA store

RevEng

I've survived this long without subscribing (15+ years!) and I've bought an awful lot of stuff from the AA Store in that time anyhow heh... I can wait... but as said, I just hope there's enough left when it's opened to everyone heh.

I hope they don't kick me out of the club for sharing this secret.

I am making available 25 copies of each of the above games to AtariAge Subscribers. To keep things fair, only one copy of each game per person, please.

Don't worry about them being all bought up. :) Being a subscriber certainly increases your chances though, plus it supports this site. Bentley Bear is going to go quick when sales open to the general forum.

• Like 2

Is it too late to subscribe now for the upcoming games?

Depends on what games you want to try to get early. I am pretty sure that Bentley Bear sold all 25 copies for subscribers. There was only one left when I ordered my others. And I was on the late side of the notice.

The 2600 & 5200 offerings should be know problems but the 7800 titles pre-sold very well on the subscriber allocation. BB is pretty much gone or probably is gone the the other 2 were in single digits. a week ago.

Albert has not really updated how many are left.

I hope like tep392 said offering this info doesn't get me booted from the club.

• Like 1

Depends on what games you want to try to get early. I am pretty sure that Bentley Bear sold all 25 copies for subscribers. There was only one left when I ordered my others. And I was on the late side of the notice.

The 2600 & 5200 offerings should be know problems but the 7800 titles pre-sold very well on the subscriber allocation. BB is pretty much gone or probably is gone the the other 2 were in single digits. a week ago.

Albert has not really updated how many are left.

I hope like tep392 said offering this info doesn't get me booted from the club.

Yeah this. I think Albert is swamped right now. Give him time to answer questions but it's nigh unlikely that any more Subscriber "early bird" Bentleys are left. It's been one remaining for days now and many people have posted "PM sent" messages since then, and likely more lurking subscribers that didn't post in the thread.

I guess you can get lucky though if you're quick when they go on sale to the general public. I think he's only doing runs of 50-60 copies for the Pokey games (Bentley and Circus) but don't quote me on that. More will come whenever the Hokey replacements are ready for prime time. I think he may also accept Ballblazer donors in exchange for Pokey games after the initial batch runs out, but again don't quote me on that.

The rest of the games will likely be available for some time, even as loose carts after the initial run of boxes sell out. Albert is generally very good about keeping their back catalog in stock, at least with Atari games, but it's supply and demand with Pokey games, and the demand outweighs the supply. I imagine Ballblazer will continue to rise in price until it isn't economical to sacrifice carts for homebrew anymore.

• Like 2

It sure would be nice if the (now not-so-secret) Subscriber benefits had been mentioned some time back, but having said that, I can wait for the general sales - my hobby money needs to be rationed in favor of reality anyway (mortgage, car, kids in college ... food :) )

Also, it would be nice to hear how HOKEY is coming along (if it is - wasn't Fred working on that too, along with Concerto?) It's been a LONG time since Al teased us with images of a prototype.

• Like 1

It sure would be nice if the (now not-so-secret) Subscriber benefits had been mentioned some time back, but having said that, I can wait for the general sales - my hobby money needs to be rationed in favor of reality anyway (mortgage, car, kids in college ... food :) )

Also, it would be nice to hear how HOKEY is coming along (if it is - wasn't Fred working on that too, along with Concerto?) It's been a LONG time since Al teased us with images of a prototype.

A.) It was never a secret, it clearly states this in the membership benefits.

B.) Fred posted a picture of his prototype in a standalone thread he started in 2014, not Al. ;)

• Like 2

A.) It was never a secret, it clearly states this in the membership benefits.

B.) Fred posted a picture of his prototype in a standalone thread he started in 2014, not Al. ;)

A) Oops. You're right. I missed that very last line in the subscriber benefits. But to be fair, the other night when I looked I had to Google for the subscriptions page. I thought it would be something advertised prominently in the Store (I couldn't find it there) or with a link on the site front page (nothing there unless I missed it). I never noticed "Subs" at the top of the Forum because, well, I'm usually just reading or posting. :)

B) I know I didn't see that post; I'm pretty sure Al reposted that pic at some point on the AA Facebook group page, or perhaps the 7800 group ... Anyway, that makes me wonder even more what's coming of the project. It's been going on longer than I realized. :(

A) Oops. You're right. I missed that very last line in the subscriber benefits. But to be fair, the other night when I looked I had to Google for the subscriptions page. I thought it would be something advertised prominently in the Store (I couldn't find it there) or with a link on the site front page (nothing there unless I missed it). I never noticed "Subs" at the top of the Forum because, well, I'm usually just reading or posting. :)

B) I know I didn't see that post; I'm pretty sure Al reposted that pic at some point on the AA Facebook group page, or perhaps the 7800 group ... Anyway, that makes me wonder even more what's coming of the project. It's been going on longer than I realized. :(

Advertising this in the store isn't a bad idea. :) I don't push the subscriptions hard in the forums, as I don't want people to feel obligated to buy a subscription. Mostly it's just nice little extras to have, such as a larger PM inbox and a longer edit window. Nothing anyone needs to take make full use of the forum. Does help pay the hosting bills and other costs related to keeping the site online.

Offering games to subscribers first is listed as a benefit, but it's not one I've put into use too often. Figured it was time again, especially as I'm still waiting on a few things before I add all the new titles to the store.

I probably have posted a photo of the HOKEY at some point. I know I've certainly mentioned it on Fracebook more than once.

..Al

• Like 7

Advertising this in the store isn't a bad idea. :) I don't push the subscriptions hard in the forums, as I don't want people to feel obligated to buy a subscription. Mostly it's just nice little extras to have, such as a larger PM inbox and a longer edit window. Nothing anyone needs to take make full use of the forum. Does help pay the hosting bills and other costs related to keeping the site online.

Offering games to subscribers first is listed as a benefit, but it's not one I've put into use too often. Figured it was time again, especially as I'm still waiting on a few things before I add all the new titles to the store.

I probably have posted a photo of the HOKEY at some point. I know I've certainly mentioned it on Fracebook more than once.

..Al

Well Al, I just bought a subscription so that going forward I will be in the know.

I dont mind supporting Atari Age and if subscribing does that its great.

But just like others have said there's only so much hobby money to go around.

Anyway sent you some PM's.

Well Al, I just bought a subscription so that going forward I will be in the know.

I dont mind supporting Atari Age and if subscribing does that its great.

But just like others have said there's only so much hobby money to go around.

Anyway sent you some PM's.

For what it's worth, I'll be sub'ing myself next week. I get enough out of the site that I really ought to do so. :)

• Like 5

For what it's worth, I'll be sub'ing myself next week. I get enough out of the site that I really ought to do so. :)

I plan on doing similar now that loans are just about cleared up. May still have to wait until the summer though. :)

3 year option??? Please elaborate... 8)

Well, If you subscribe for two years instead of one, you'll pay $50. Pay for another two-year in two years, pay another $50. Then when you're paying for the third time for another two-year sub, another $50, you'll pay only $150 in total for six years. Whereas, if you pay $30 one-year subscription, for every year for six years, then that's $180 in total. So, really it's a better buy if you subscribe and renew for three years with the two-year option.

post-18158-0-91604000-1491650322_thumb.jpg

I wish there was a 5 or 10 year option. Like 100 for 5 and 200 for 10. I wonder if that would get more subscribers?

And offer less for non subscribers as well. Many forums I have found cut many features for non subscribers. This forum is almost fully unlocked with a zero pay option.

And offer less for non subscribers as well. Many forums I have found cut many features for non subscribers. This forum is almost fully unlocked with a zero pay option.

For instance?

Frankly the benefits for subscribing...are nothing impressive. That's JMO, but I do think it's 100% true. The best reason to subscribe is to support the site, period. I don't know that removing already free features from the forum is going to do anything but upset people who weren't going to pay anyway.

• Like 2

My intention with subscriptions is to give people a way to monetarily support the site if they wish, but it's not something I would ever want to shove down everyone's throat. There are no benefits anyone really needs, they are just niceties. Like having a much larger PM inbox, although the standard inbox is already larger than most forums I frequent. Being able to edit your posts for 30 days instead of 60 minutes is also nice. Stuff like that.

I have seen several forums really constrain what users can do unless you are a paying member. There's one forum I visit where members cannot even upload attachments unless you buy a subscription. Which is pretty boneheaded in my opinion, as it strongly discourages people to generate new content for your site, which is exactly the opposite of what you want to do.

Running the site is an expensive proposition. I'm using two dedicated servers that are over $500 a month, and there's numerous software licenses that need to be renewed or purchased every year. I'm also hosting several other websites for free, such as AtariMagazines.com, AtariArchives.org, AtariProtos.com, AtariMac.com, bataribasic.com, xegs8bit.com, videogamevariations.com, and more.. To say nothing about the time involved in keeping the servers online, updating software, validating users (which is done by hand and why you rarely see spammers on the forum here), answering emails and PMs, and so forth.. So, I definitely appreciate the subscriptions.. :)

..Al

• Like 20