IGNORED

If You Owned An Atari 7800 Growing Up, What System Did You Buy After It?

nosweargamer

I was an Atari die-hard, so I demanded a 7800 even while the Toys 'R' Us salesperson was trying to convince my mother we'd be happier with an NES. After the market dried up and Atari didn't offer any new console for the 16-bit era, I went with the Sega Genesis.

I also bought a Game Boy while they were still popular, but then the Atari Lynx hung around longer than I had expected it to, so I actually switched from the Game Boy to the Lynx. Of course the Lynx market then fell apart shortly afterward...

• Like 1

Atari 7800.... to a wii... I did Gaming PCs though in between, also picked up a trs-80 because the one my parents had disappeared at some point.

Great transition! For gaming the wii is probably one of the top systems.

I really like my coco2 from childhood.

I never had a 7800 as a kid tho. Only 2600's we seen in my area.

We got an NES in 88, but I'm fuzzy on how long after getting the 7800 that was. Six months, a year? I was pretty young at the time. My parents mostly went after a 7800 because they wanted the system that worked with all the 2600 games they had from the post-crash clearance sales after the 2600 broke, but I think seeing the NES in action at my uncle's house sold them on it.

NES. I bought my 7800 in February of 1987 or 1988 with money I got for my birthday. The salesman (and my family) was trying to convince me to go with an NES, but I stayed strong and got the ProSystem and Asteroids. I was happy with the 7800 as I continued to pick up 7800 and 2600 games as gifts or with gift money for the next few years. My dad got me my NES for Christmas 1988. The two systems lived side by side (along with future systems) until my 7800's proprietary ac adapter died and I did not replace it until 2005 or so.

I got a 7800 in the late 1980s. I loved it and was not swayed by Nintendo until I saw The Legend of Zelda. The game was a revelation. Bionic Commando didn't hurt.

However, I never owned many NES games. I ended up continuing to play the 7800 more and collecting more cartridges, ultimately loving the system until I moved onto the Lynx.

The 7800 in our house, while technically a gift to my brother, ended up being mine because he wanted an NES.

Even so, it never got as much play as the C64 I already had.

From there I progressed to the PC in '91, before getting a PSX in '96.

Edited by Laner

We had a 2600, I was first introduced to Atari in '82. I never owned a 7800 back in the day. My brother and I were given a Gyromite NES for Christmas in '86. I played on the NES and would also play on the 2600 up in my room by myself. I remember being able to play one game of 2600 Mario Bros for many, many hours in one sitting. Atari was always cooler to have because everyone had one and it was way easier to trade games.

The 7800 was my first system in 1989. Bought an NES with Adventure of Link a couple of years later. Both lived side by side for years until I gave my 7800 away to some friends down the street. Luckily, I was able to find one again a few years later, and now have a very large 7800 (and 2600) collection.

• Like 1