IGNORED

The FlashROM and the new Side-Car 32K is changing my computing habits...

Omega-TI

The hobby is changing for me...

I had been on a never ending quest for more storage space. The HDX, the Lotharek, a modified FDC, I was able to 'justify' them all. I even had my sights on a bigger FDC... then the FlashROM 99 happened. I find I can store so much on it and load stuff so much faster that I'm beginning to wonder if I should continue expanding my P-Box. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to abandon my 'silver tank' as there are some things I do that still require it, but for the gamer only types, the FlashROM 99 and the 32K kicks serious butt and may be all you ever need.

I've also started running with two different SD cards now. The first SD card is the P-Box version, which consists mainly of utilities and application programs, the other SD card is for games and JediMatt42's 32K device. Since I've been testing/playing with this new DYNAMIC DUO, I've noticed I've not used my P-Box for at least a week... I'm not sure if that's good or bad yet.

• Like 2

The Flashrom99 and CF7 is my default configuration 75% of the time.

Strangely Legends II doesn't like the CF7 (crashes when entering dungeons) and while Jeff Bunting's 1987 version of Space Station Pheta works perfectly, Tad Woods 1985 version crashes after the first level. Not sure if it's wonky memory or the custom disk format of the CF7 that is the culprit, but whatever it is, those two still require real disks.

Of course both those examples also require XB, as does all of my mindless tinkering, so using modern add-ons will never completely replace original hardware for me.

Now if GROM emulation appears in a future FlashRom99 iteration, that could change everything - again.

Remember though that a year ago we all had XB 2.7 nearly-permanently inserted in our cart ports, so who knows what 2017 will present us with, that we will not be able to imagine having lived without!

• Like 2