IGNORED

Ughghh...bait-and-switch at a local store...

Dauber

So on Sunday I stopped into a video game store and bought a few CIBs for a reasonable price. I saw they had a few consoles for sale (and a CIB Vectrex for $400...wow...)...what they do is, if they don't have the original box, they put the consoles in custom white cardboard boxes with a picture on the lid and an itemized list.

So I saw...a box with a Tele-Games console. The description on the box said it was a Tele-Games console. The picture on the box was of a Tele-Games heavy sixer, which I'm kind of on the market for....love how those things look!...so of course I'm drooling....just been fully tested and cleaned...comes with a joystick, A/V cable, switchbox, power supply, and Tank Plus. Price tag is a bit more than I would have liked, but given the neighborhood the store is in, they can be a bit pricier than usual most likely because the rent is outrageous. But still a price that won't break me. I decided not to buy it, as I'd have to explain to my wife why I bought an Atari when my 7800 works perfectly well. :)

Anyway...my wife had to work late last night, wasn't going to be home until close to 9. (And she's a teacher. So much for that wonderful "your work day is over at 3" myth, eh?) That store is on my way home...I can stop in, buy the Sears sixer, and bring it inside while she's still gone! mwaaahahaahahahaaaaaahaaa!

I go there, and it's still there, same price. Same box....Sears heavy sixer pictured on it. Just to inspect it I open it up, and...

.....it's a Jr. (!!!!!!!) I didn't realize there were Sears re-branded "Jr." models. But yeah...NOT what was pictured on the box. I was pissed.

I then noticed another box with the same picture on it, but the itemized list actually specifically said "light sixer" on it. I opened it, and sure enough, it was a Sears light sixer...yet the picture on the box was of a heavy sixer.

Then I notice they have an Atari heavy sixer....same deal -- tested and cleaned, joystick, switch box, power adapter, A/V cable, and Combat...$189!!!! Seriously?!!? Just for laughs I opened the box, and the thing looked terrible....yoiks...scratched and dented all to hell...and I think back to that eBay lot I bid on some years back (circa 2007, 2008) solely because it had some games I was looking for...grand total was under fifty bucks and it included TWO heavy sixers (only one was in the picture on the auction, interestingly) and a Jr. model...

So....yeah....that was my Wednesday night.

Hey, at least they put a price on it. I spotted a pretty nice Sears heavy sixer at PRGE on Sunday. Looked all over the thing for a price and couldn't find one. I guess I could have asked the guy, waited for him to check ebay prices on his ipad and then quote me some ludicrously high price, but decided to skip all that and just not buy it since most likely I wouldn't have anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...