IGNORED

Why didn't America get the gamepad?

MewMeowCat

It seems like Atari Corp was under the impression that the NES controller was a bit of a fad and that the American public would come running back to the Joystick? The 7800 and XEGS both heavily advertised the fact that they had "real joysticks" in t.v. ads.

Edited by empsolo
  • Like 2

It seems like Atari Corp was under the impression that the NES controller was a bit of a fad and that the American public would come running back to the Joystick? The 7800 and XEGS both heavily advertised the fact that they had "real joystick" in t.v. ads.

Makes sense, but almost every controller has a D-Pad now. Only a few have like a real arcade joystick. The fighter controller for the 360 comes to mind.

Makes sense, but almost every controller has a D-Pad now. Only a few have like a real arcade joystick. The fighter controller for the 360 comes to mind.

As shown by the Video Game Crash of the 80's, not everyone is right when they assume something is a fad. Atari was wrong, and we got the painline controllers because of it. :)

• Like 1

The joypad controller is better than the ProLine joystick, but only marginally. It feels a little flimsy, the thumbstick is really tough to direct accurately, the D-pad can really cut into your thumb, and the position of the fire buttons is kind of awkward. You're essentially trading a case of carpal tunnel for either really squirrelly thumbstick control or a sore left thumb. :P (IMO, of course.)

As to why we never got the joypads in North America, even belatedly, I couldn't tell you. I do wonder if maybe they were available direct from Atari Corp, though; I've got two boxed ProLine joysticks that show the CX40, ProLine, XE Lightgun, and Joypad controllers on one of the sides.

Not sure why we didn't get them in the first place, but I ordered 4 of them from BEST in 2005 and I've never looked back. They are Great!

I'm with you on that one! I just got a CX-78 joypad from Best Electronics last month and I love mine. A lot of people don't seem to care for the D-pad on it but I actually like it better than the one on the NES controller. Even though there is a hole in the middle I still find it more comfortable to use since the edges of the D-pad (and the controller itself) are smooth and nicely rounded. I like the big squishy rounded fire buttons too, even if they can't be pressed simultaneously. The whole controller just feels very comfy to me from an ergonomic standpoint and it's quickly become my favorite factory produced controller for both Atari 7800 and 2600 games since I got it. :)

• Like 1

Checked that, saw the sticks, looked nice but pricey, saw the adapter and I thought looks alright

The adapter is tops IMO.....there's so much nice (and relatively cheap) Sega Genesis gear floating around. Great pads, arcade sticks, joysticks, stuff with turbos, etc.

Seems to me some of my six button stuff had issues with it though, I'll have to try that out, I can't recall which gear gave me the issues.

• Like 1

My feeling on this was they were starting to wind down the 7800 in North America around the time they were releasing 7800s with joypads in Europe. That's how it felt at the time. The joypads were featured in Atari's posters and also on Atari Canada and Atari US direct price lists but every time I tried to order them, that part of the order got rejected.

• Like 1

I don't consider it a big loss. While the joysticks are awful, the gamepads weren't a big improvement. In my opinion, they have a lot of issues.

I feel the same way. I was so excited to pick up some 7800 gamepads at CGE a while back, but in reality I use the Painlines just as often. Some games work better than others with each one. I use 2600 sticks for every game that doesn't require 2 buttons.

• Like 2

Am I the only one on the world that likes the 7800 joysticks better? LOL

I recently upgraded a pair of mine to the Best Lifetime boards and will admit now since breaking in, they're a lot nicer than I ever gave them credit for. Then again, so is a nice minty NOS pair. Couple of things though… key here is that the foam adhered to the top plastic that helps keep the actuator in place, is intact - else there's too much sloppy play. Other major consideration are the dome contacts and tape adhesive over them. If these things are all good, the "painline" controllers aren't that bad. For a while anyway. Even on most games where you'd think there should be a lot of rapid fire cramp-induced triggering, seem to be rapid-fire enabled anyway. All in all, I've grown to appreciate the CX-24 more these days - but make no mistake about it, nothing beats a good Genesis pad for certain games or the CX-40 for *most*. I'll always keep a nice pair of Painlines around for my 7800 though, just because it's what the system was born with and from a nostalgic or "authentic" 7800 experience, nice to have. :)

• Like 1