IGNORED

NTSC/PAL/Agnus chip question A500

nd2003grad

I recently installed the licensed 3.1 Kickstarter so I can use DF1 with Gotek (all of this and the machine are new--well, vintage new). I learned pretty quickly that I need a DF0 switcher--that's on the way. However, I'm curious about loading PAL/NTSC...am I correct in that you need a certain Agnus (I'm not sure on the number, but my other 500 has this and this one does not) to be able to select at the boot menu? I'm also not sure if Agnus is socketed--if so, maybe I should just swap the chips. My menu says "press a key to switch between NTSC and PAL," but nothing seems to happen. Once again this is on a FIVE HUNDRED! Thanks, guys. This is quite the journey, but it's already been quite rewarding.

Correct. You need an 8372A or 8375 Fat Agnus chip which can switch between NTSC and PAL modes.

Earlier 8370 chips could not do this.

The chip should be socketed but be careful and ideally use a chip puller. I have used tiny screwdrivers to remove and reseat them in the past but PLCC chips are a little more delicate than DIP.

• Like 2

The chip should be socketed but be careful and ideally use a chip puller. I have used tiny screwdrivers to remove and reseat them in the past but PLCC chips are a little more delicate than DIP.

Not to mention the sockets by now are brittle as hell. I have seen more than one 500 motherboard with a broken Agnus socket, obviously from trying to pry her out without using a puller.

No prying with proper puller, see my video comment here.

https://www.facebook.com/SExmortus/posts/10206970892982775

You're a hero. I'd been doing this for some time and your post helped me do this easily. THANKS! Now hopefully I didn't destroy the df0 selector that I broke a pin on and soldered back on (fingers crossed).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Correct. You need an 8372A or 8375 Fat Agnus chip which can switch between NTSC and PAL modes.

Earlier 8370 chips could not do this.

Just a minor detail.

The 8375 is locked at NTSC and is not switchable.