IGNORED

pyatasm: MAC/65 in python - wrapper around ATasm

I know everyone has been clamoring for a MAC/65 compatible assembler in python. Well, wait no more!

https://github.com/robmcmullen/pyatasm

It's basically a wrapper around the ATasm assembler, allowing you to get the assembled bytes & label definitions without leaving your python program or calling the external ATasm binary. It works on linux, mac, and windows, and it's installable through PyPI.

• Like 1

I don't really have a big desire to code in assembly for the A8 myself, but I think this is very cool anyway! I wish there was an implementation of Python for the A8, but I know that's probably just not really even possible due to the size of even just the standard library. So it's Action! for me. Now a CLI driven Action! cross compiler would be the duck's guts. And a CLI driven native Action! compiler isn't far behind in my wish list either. I think Jac is sort of working on that.

Okay now the big question, what cool advantage can one get from assembling 6502 source from within Python vs. from using ATASM directly? I have to believe there is else this wouldn't have been done and no one would clamor for it.

Edited by fujidude
  • Like 1

Okay now the big question, what cool advantage can one get from assembling 6502 source from within Python vs. from using ATASM directly? I have to believe there is else this wouldn't have been done and no one would clamor for it.

For my purposes, it's for the Jumpman level design contest. I've integrated pyatasm into Omnivore so you can build custom code into the levels. It's much easier this way than building it manually, because I can pull out some special labels and automatically put references into the jumpman level definitions to your custom code.

Kevin and I are still testing it, but I'll release it soon.

For my purposes, it's for the Jumpman level design contest. I've integrated pyatasm into Omnivore so you can build custom code into the levels. It's much easier this way than building it manually, because I can pull out some special labels and automatically put references into the jumpman level definitions to your custom code.

Kevin and I are still testing it, but I'll release it soon.

Thanks for attempting to help me understand. I'm a bit ignorant of much of what you're talking about so it's no surprise that I'm not fully "getting" it. Perhaps if/when I see the release it will become more clear to me. In the mean time, keep up the good work.