735 replies to this topic

#726 Simius OFFLINE  

Simius

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 442 posts

Posted Fri Sep 1, 2017 9:53 AM

Can you please explain:

bit4 PMCTL controls additional color in hi-res mode.

0 -  1 color, 2 luminances (default)

1 -  2 colors

#727 Philsan OFFLINE  

Philsan

River Patroller

• 3,365 posts
  • New Orleans Saints Super Bowl XLIV Champions

Posted Fri Sep 1, 2017 9:55 AM

0 -  1 color, 2 luminances (default)
1 -  2 colors

PMCTL is memory location number?

#728 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,593 posts

Posted Fri Sep 1, 2017 10:30 AM

$D01D. But it was written that there's no way to detect the hardware, so I can't see how software is supposed to know bits 3/4 of $D01D do anything. Unless the device is 100 per cent passive, there should be a means of establishing its presence (unless there is and I missed it).

Edited by flashjazzcat, Fri Sep 1, 2017 10:31 AM.

#729 Philsan OFFLINE  

Philsan

River Patroller

• 3,365 posts
  • New Orleans Saints Super Bowl XLIV Champions

Posted Fri Sep 1, 2017 3:30 PM

So,

POKE 53277,23 turn on 2 colors high resolution

POKE 53277,15 or RESET turn off 2 colors high resolution

POKE 709,X change color (X=1-255)

BTW, attract mode is nice because colors change...

#730 remowilliams OFFLINE  

remowilliams

Quadrunner

• 10,209 posts

Posted Tue Sep 5, 2017 11:53 AM

A new thing that Sophia has made possible for me - running PAL software on a real machine.  I just dropped a PAL Antic in this morning and voila, PAL software running with color video!  :D

#731 Lavalamp OFFLINE  

Lavalamp

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:15 PM

Sophia connected to Atari SC1224 'ST' RGB Monitor

Live picture 1088XEL in PAL Mode

HCMxGRn.jpg

This will not work from a standard Sophia board, since the SC1224 Monitor requires higher level signals than VGA (or likely other RGB monitors). The Sophia only puts out 0.75 volt RGB and CSYNC when set to RGB mode (at least my Sophia running the 'B' core did). The SC1224 requires 1 volt RGB and close to logic level CSYNC. So the first thing I did was change a resistor on the Sophia board to increase the video output from the ADV7125 Triple High-Speed Video DAC chip.

Increase Video Output Level Mod (opps I see there is an extra '2' shown for the monitor part number :P )

2lDYj23.png

Next we need a buffered logic level CSYNC to substitute for Sophia's low level one, so we'll steal that from the CD4050 chip on the A8.

TQVf0Nw.jpg

And assuming all the Mods were done correctly you should now see a beautiful full color display on the SC1224 Monitor coming from your Sophia upgraded A8. And depending upon what video mode you use on your A8 (NTSC or PAL), you might need to tweak some of the back panel controls for V and H Hold, and possibly Vertical Position and Height, as well as Horizontal Position. I have only tested this on the 'JVC' version of the SC1224, so I have no idea if it'll work correctly on either the Goldstar or the Samsung models.

Disclaimer: This Mod is done at your own risk, will probably violate any warranty you may have, and is not endorsed what-so-ever by Simius (creator of the Sophia board).

- Michael

Hi, which pin does Sofia RGB use for Audio? I assume its pint 1 looking at the plug, Do all Revs of the board use the above pin outs? I'm trying to figure out how to wire up a SCART cable for it as my board did not arrive with the cable or any docs...

#732 Simius OFFLINE  

Simius

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 442 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:09 PM

http://atariage.com/...10#entry3685392

http://atariage.com/...10#entry3685409

#733 Lavalamp OFFLINE  

Lavalamp

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:29 PM

Thanks! Your awesome.

#734 Lavalamp OFFLINE  

Lavalamp

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:03 PM

Hi Simius, my Sofia is installed and up and running. I have mounted the DB9 successfully in the bottom case, I do have a couple of questions:

1. I'm starting the SCART cable tonight, in your wiring diagram it shows you are also passing through Composite Video. Is this required as well as the RGB? I'm concerned my HDMI converter will pick up the Composite video instead.

2. When installing the Sofia it sits high with the GTIA piggy backed on it and couldn't re-fit the top shield to the XL, is this safe and expected?

#735 Simius OFFLINE  

Simius

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 442 posts

Posted Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:52 AM

1. It is required, because RGB signals don't contain the sync component. But it isn't the Composite Video signal. The Sophia board don't produce such signal. Your HDMI converter is safe from this. :)

2. It is expected and safe. But if you are determined to re-fit a shield, you can cut a hole in it.

#736 Lavalamp OFFLINE  

Lavalamp

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:10 AM

1. It is required, because RGB signals don't contain the sync component. But it isn't the Composite Video signal. The Sophia board don't produce such signal. Your HDMI converter is safe from this. :)

2. It is expected and safe. But if you are determined to re-fit a shield, you can cut a hole in it.

Thanks, I actually figured it would be sync and happy to report I have successfully got beautiful RGB out from my XL very pleased, thanks Simius!

Behold my Gyrus running at SCART to 1080p HDMI... :)  :thumbsup:

File_000.jpeg

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users