IGNORED

New development: GTIA in CPLD

Simius

So I saw a reference which seemed to imply that a Sophia-equipped Atari would have more colours available:

Other developments:

Inspired by the new Sophia GTIA upgrade which allows true 16 level shading in all ANTIC modes and an independently programmable PF1 color in Graphics 0

Can someone expand on this and what it would mean for available colours in any given graphics mode ?

Cheers :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I have installed SOPHIA DVI on an 800XL (with Ultimate 1MB), using Dell UltraSharp 1708FP Monitor, the picture is absolutely perfect. I have tried other solutions, nothing beats this.

Thank you so much Jacek.

My feelings exactly :)

Received my SOPHIA DVI, thanks Jacek!!! Ok, hooked it up and the Ultimate Bios Boot screen came up, then timed out (per settings) to boot SpartaDOS X to a vertical stripped screen. But, when I press the Sophia video cabling with my fingers the screen cleans up nicely. So, is this a grounding or shielding issue with the cable?

post-16380-0-92120900-1516998561_thumb.jpg

post-16380-0-48339900-1516998763_thumb.jpg

Yes, the ribbon cable between the Sophia and DVI board.

attachicon.gifsophiaCable-1.mp4

That kind of looks like you are acting as a ferrite core there. It's hard to see as your hand is off the bottom of the screen for most of the vid. If you hold the cable and move it about (ie waggle the connections on the ends) does it come and go? Does touching the cable with something like a screwdriver improve the display?

If just holding the cable and not moving it improves the display I'd suggest some shielding, looks like you have a lot of noise. If you have to wiggle things to get an improvement it looks like there is a connection problem somewhere, try a different cable.

That kind of looks like you are acting as a ferrite core there. It's hard to see as your hand is off the bottom of the screen for most of the vid. If you hold the cable and move it about (ie waggle the connections on the ends) does it come and go? Does touching the cable with something like a screwdriver improve the display?

If just holding the cable and not moving it improves the display I'd suggest some shielding, looks like you have a lot of noise. If you have to wiggle things to get an improvement it looks like there is a connection problem somewhere, try a different cable.

That is what I was thinking, but saw no such requirement or situation in this thread that suggested that one was necessary. The connection is sound and the only thing that improves it is me squeezing the ribbon cable between my fingers and holding it. My Sophia is installed in my 1088XEL connected to a Dell 1708FP.

a good picture of your actual cable could shed some light,

move the cable with a plastic pen the same way as with your finger... if the same result happens ... you've got a bad connection at a ribbon crimp. I've seen similar behavior and replacing the cable or disassemble, trim and re crimp fixed it.

also I've seen different gauge wire in a cable make all the difference in the world as well.

ever see the the same pin cable but more conductors cables used in hard drive and cdrom cables?

yep had to swap those for the other kind to solve I/O issues...

You should not need a taroid/ferrite solution here, something is causing this to be possible if it doesn't turn out to be connector cable issue..(which it probably will)

Double check connection and socket wipes.

A taroid/ferrite solution might help or get you by, but the underlying cause will still exist.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Maybe the airwaves where you are are particularly dirty? Poor shielding on some bit of kit around there, dodgy earth connection on a washer/dryer or government surveillance or alien invasion or something. Try turning electrical things off to see if the display improves, move the 1088 away from the display, it might be the screen, when was it last degaussed?

Maybe a smoothing cap on the 1088 isnt doing its thing properly or as the doctor says it could be a bad connection on that idc connector that isnt quite good enough.

Edited by Mr Robot

MrR LMAO!!! The 1088 and screen are next to each other, so I'll need to try moving them further a part. My monitor is new and I'm not sure it has a degaussing, although I'll check that when I get back to the shop later this evening. Thanks for your assistance. I'm sure its something I'm doing.

Doc - I'm not home at the minute but I'll provide a pic of my cabling later this evening. Thanks for your help.

That is what I was thinking, but saw no such requirement or situation in this thread that suggested that one was necessary. The connection is sound and the only thing that improves it is me squeezing the ribbon cable between my fingers and holding it. My Sophia is installed in my 1088XEL connected to a Dell 1708FP.

Virtually the same set-up as mine, and I've never seen any noise issues.

Ok, I'm embarrassed as I have found the culprit and I should have done this earlier rather than sounding the alarm of manic. Maybe somewhat worth it to read Mr Robot's rundown of possible causes earlier;-) As I was cleaning my area and moving my 1088XEL away from the monitor that it had dawned on me that I have not tried another DVI cable as I was suspecting something from the ribbon cable to the connectors instead. Sure enough I swapped the cables to the DVI switched on the 1088XEL and watched it booted up to the most beautiful screen display I have ever seen from a Atari computer. Head tilted to the floor in shame.

@Simius - My apologies for the false alarm. Your Sophia board is a miracle, thank you.

@Doc and Mr Robot thank you for your assistance in getting me to think a bit more about my cabling.

@Michael - Your are right there is no noise coming from out of our awesome 1088XELs!!!!!

• Like 5

Everything you guys have done, I've done better, as in all the things one can possibly do wrong ;) . Remember I still hold the world's record for killing U1MB boards (I'm up to three now). Also plugged in my first Sophia DVI ribbon cable backwards and pushed it in so hard that I broke off that index pin trying to get it to go in. So you see no worries, it'll be quite a while before you catch up with me :D .

BTW, congrats on solving the noise issue :thumbsup:

• Like 5

Don't be too hard on yourself. It's not like you worried about a failure to boot for 24 hours only to determine you'd plugged the U1MB in offset by one row of pins and completely failed to notice. :P

DrV - We knew the journey would have its challenges, but weren't aware that they would be self made. Any way my case, top and rear panels, and cartridge guide came today. Tomorrow I will assemble everything including my Mouse Select and Panel Status indicator. The XEL-CF is completed but just missing the 44 pin ribbon cable which is due to arrive any day. Getting close to complete.

Everything you guys have done, I've done better, as in all the things one can possibly do wrong ;) . Remember I still hold the world's record for killing U1MB boards (I'm up to three now). Also plugged in my first Sophia DVI ribbon cable backwards and pushed it in so hard that I broke off that index pin trying to get it to go in. So you see no worries, it'll be quite a while before you catch up with me :D .

BTW, congrats on solving the noise issue :thumbsup:

Well you set the bar and I hope my achievements never reach it but I do try everyday :grin: Your support has been much appreciated.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...