IGNORED

Nano PEB's back in Production!

Shift838

All,

I thought some of you may find this as a nice piece of news.

I noticed Jamie put a couple of Nano's up on ebay and they are gone of course.

I did send him a message and he responded to say that he had to fine a new source of components and is now starting to produce them again.

So keep your eyes open.

I'm working on finding out some more information like if he will be launching a store or just ebay auctions. Once I have that I will post it here.

• Like 5

Some questions. NanoPeb vs CF 7 - one is parallel the other serial, otherwise same device?

With the nano peb (floppy emulation and can use dsk images (up to 400k)) can you use the RS-232 like the RS-232 for a PEB? In other words, HDX? copy files to and from PC via null modem? Internet access? And 32K memory expansion.

My wife warned me not to make an impulse purchase. So for a side port ram expansion, with rs-232 and floppy emulation, it seems so worth it.

Any gotchas? Special carts I need to use? Works out of the box?

Uses external power supply?

NanoPEB is serial, CF7 is parallel, otherwise the same.

HDX with a nanoPEB is not like HDX in a PEB with a modifed RS-232 card. You can use it inside a customized version of Fred Kaal's disk manager to copy files, but you don't have access to a general HDX device that can replace a disk. I'm sure about Internet access.

• Like 1

This is what a bought... they (2) arrived in a padded envelope. Fairly well padded but NOT in a anti-static pack. You can see the difference in the second picture where I put the old v. new side by side.

nanopeb

nano2

Compact Flash Drive, Controller and RS232 Port for the TI-99/4a

• Original Version 1 nanoPEB using TMS9902 uart.
  • Emulates three floppy drives at a time (using TI-99/4a file management)
  • Kingston 128mb Compact Flash included
  • Works with Disk Manager 2, Extended Basic and CFHDX1 (PC file sharing software)
  • Works with Editor/Assembler
  • 32K RAM
  • RS232 port - DB9 connector. - up to 19200bps ! (Requires null modem cable to connect to PC)
  • Requires a regulated 5v DC power supply with 2.1mm barrel connector. (NOT included)
  • Power switch allows unit to be turned off without unplugging power supply
  • Manual and DOS utilities to move files to/from PC available at http://webpages.charter.net/nanopeb/ .
  • Includes CFMGR, a disk manager tool written in TI-99/4a assembler.

Please note no case is offered. Due to TI-99/4a sector size only half of the space on the compact flash is available for use. Item may vary slightly from one pictured. TI console, serial cable and power supply are not included.

Edited by aftyde
  • Like 3

This is what a bought... they (2) arrived in a padded envelope. Fairly well padded but NOT in a anti-static pack. You can see the difference in the second picture where I put the old v. new side by side.

Hi, is it possible to upload a Hires-Pic, especially the pic with the old an the new one ? (or both) :)

I just saw a modification in the Vol 2 No 4 Shift 838 Newsletter that shows how to pass the 5V power line from the console through the Speech Synthesizer so that the NanoPEB and the C7+ can be powered. No need for an external power supply. Pretty neat!

I just saw a modification in the Vol 2 No 4 Shift 838 Newsletter that shows how to pass the 5V power line from the console through the Speech Synthesizer so that the NanoPEB and the C7+ can be powered. No need for an external power supply. Pretty neat!

Yes and both implementations work well. I have done both of them for both of my Nano's on separate speech synthesizers.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought one of these. I'm trying to buy a power supply for it in ebay. It specifies: "regulated 5v DC power supply with 2.1mm barrel connector." I'm curious what the proper amperage should be. I'm finding 1 amp and 3 amp power warts. Any advise?

you could do one of the power mods I documented in my last newsletter to get the power for the NanoPEB.

I will look for my adapter later and find out the exact specifics for you too.

Mine shows:

output 5VDC 2000mA

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

While the device will only draw what it needs, it's always good to give it a little 'overhead' as it will not hurt to get the 3A unit, and you can always rest easy knowing any problems that may occur will not be power related.

Wise advice. I have been bitten by that many times before. I always add a margin of at least 500mA to the required specs as a buffer for any power supply I use for my projects.

• Like 1

I just bought one of these. I'm trying to buy a power supply for it in ebay. It specifies: "regulated 5v DC power supply with 2.1mm barrel connector." I'm curious what the proper amperage should be. I'm finding 1 amp and 3 amp power warts. Any advise?

The one Jaime (nanoPEB manufacturer) sold me for mine is 2.4 A (2400 mA).

...lee

• Like 1

I bought this from what's left of Radio Shack - and it works great. There is also an excellent Shift838 article that discussed how to wire a power plug into a Speech Synth. I keep my NanoPEB off the side of my Speech Unit - makes it easier to add and remove from the console. Here is the link to the Radio Shack power supply. I don't have a direct link for Shift838 but I believe it's about six months back - an enjoyable hunt nevertheless... :)

https://www.radioshack.com/collections/ac-to-dc-power-adapters/products/3-12-volt-2500ma-high-power-ac-adapter

I did basically the same thing on my speech synth to support the new sidecar 32K memory expansion.