IGNORED

Scrapyard Dog 7800 Youtube

swordquest plus

I've been looking at Youtube videos on Scrapyard Dog for the 7800 console and so far, none of them show someone actually beating the game. I know that some people have beaten it (myself included) and I know that there exists a video of a walkthrough for Scrapyard Dog for the Atari Lynx, but I think it would be entertaining if someone made a video of someone beating Scrapyard Dog for the 7800. What do you guys think?

• 4 years later...

I know this is a very old thread with just two posts, but this game came out last Friday for the Atari VCS modern and I have been unable to find a walkthrough to help get through the first sewer level. I also can't find a single video showing anyone else doing it! Wondering if it really is just that hard, or if no one has done one but can get through it. How? In particular going through the pipe tunnels in the sewer seems basically impossible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

I know this is a very old thread with just two posts, but this game came out last Friday for the Atari VCS modern and I have been unable to find a walkthrough to help get through the first sewer level. I also can't find a single video showing anyone else doing it! Wondering if it really is just that hard, or if no one has done one but can get through it. How? In particular going through the pipe tunnels in the sewer seems basically impossible.

I haven’t actually beaten the game, even though I did the grfx for the dog in KevinMos3’s hack of this game (where you can get infinite lives too).

But I’ve gotten to the last stage - the puzzle room, but cannot really beat the puzzle before time runs out.

Some say this video may be some sort of cheat, but it gives a good overview over the levels.

I’ve used it to try to figure out the most difficult jumps.

What I do is to start/stop video, and analyse second by second.

Here’s the hacks if you should be interested:

Edited by Giles N

8 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Maps : http://www.atari7800.org/scrapyarddogmap.htm

Note:  Thanks to @Mitch for hosting the above game map(s).  I take neither credit for the hosting nor creation of the map(s).

The first sewer level can be completed without entering a pipe tunnel. 

scrapyarddog13.png

If a pipe tunnel is utilized, it can result with being brought back to an earlier part of the level, which it seems you may have experienced.

A couple of the jumps are absolutely ridiculously difficult to achieve.  Even when coupled with an infinite lives hack, too many places in the game are an exercise of cheap deaths, frustration, and/or dumb luck.

If there was an amazing end boss fight, or even a decent one, it may have served as motivation enough for me to record a playthrough, but considering the last and only boss 'battle' is a solve the puzzle/switch around pieces deal, it just adds to the demotivational factor.

scrapyarddog62final.png

19 hours ago, Mockduck said:

...I have been unable to find a walkthrough to help get through the first sewer level. I also can't find a single video showing anyone else doing it! 

Now there's a video* :)

*Complete with edit due to a sloppy fall around section 11.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

Nice! It is that long jump at 11 that I just cant get past.

Start it with the pipe just before the big one to gain momentum.  Perch Louie at the leftmost edge of it..

image.thumb.png.55159e029e252460af2b5c91265a8a74.png

Jump over to the next..

image.thumb.png.14fe081213b57439bfaa9cd7164c5029.png

One continuous motion, keep moving until reaching the rightmost side of the next pipe..

image.thumb.png.c80fe6a8b4f41c677e30039bf1e9b148.png

..without stopping, continue with making the big jump:

image.thumb.png.97e671d0a6071fbaf81aebb0160ece32.png

You'll land on the pipe near section 12:

image.thumb.png.726e20cbdd370e5bfe3b57ed071c88a9.png

16 hours ago, Trebor said:

Start it with the pipe just before the big one to gain momentum.  Perch Louie at the leftmost edge of it..

image.thumb.png.55159e029e252460af2b5c91265a8a74.png

Jump over to the next..

image.thumb.png.14fe081213b57439bfaa9cd7164c5029.png

One continuous motion, keep moving until reaching the rightmost side of the next pipe..

image.thumb.png.c80fe6a8b4f41c677e30039bf1e9b148.png

..without stopping, continue with making the big jump:

image.thumb.png.97e671d0a6071fbaf81aebb0160ece32.png

You'll land on the pipe near section 12:

image.thumb.png.726e20cbdd370e5bfe3b57ed071c88a9.png

I struggled with this last night! I'll have to try it again doing a double jump...

5 hours ago, Mockduck said:

I struggled with this last night! I'll have to try it again doing a double jump...

It is by no means easy or a breeze to pull off. 

As mentioned previously, I have not recorded a complete playthrough, in part, due to the game being absolutely ridiculous and frustrating respecting a few key aspects; this is indeed one of them.

4 hours ago, Giles N said:

For some of the more difficult platforms-jumps, one needs 

a) to have sufficient speed/momentum

b) to already approximately know where to land (+slow down after run-jump)

Point 'b' is the real killer because often on the long jumps you can't see (or know) where to land ahead of time.  So it really becomes a matter of luck combined with timing, hoping it is nail properly, after through trial and error, it is learned how far off to the left or right of the pipe Louie can lean without dropping off and dying.

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

Point 'b' is the real killer because often on the long jumps you can't see (or know) where to land ahead of time.  So it really becomes a matter of luck combined with timing, hoping it is nail properly, after through trial and error, it is learned how far off to the left or right of the pipe Louie can lean without dropping off and dying.

What, ahem, do you mean by ‘Louie’… (My point is «Louie» here. Whats so darned special about him??!!, - like couldn’t Luigi or Yoshi have their own games, their own franchises…??!!  Does «Louis» have to be the center of the universe for every Atari-game like ever?? And as to «lean without dropping off and dying’…» -  its not just about Louie!! It’s about the Dog!! The Dog!! The Dog Scraps..!! Right..??!!

But as to actual playability;

sure, you’re absolutely right.

And I try to live on with it.

I’ve suppressed it for 2 years and 4 months, 3 weeks and 4 days now.

It won’t do.

I cannot turn my back on reality forever.

So…

… the thing is; the Pipe-openings seems very circular, but you (that Scrapyard Dork Louis, or the Super-Cuddly Scrapyard Dog Scraps) , can move to the edge of the actual square space of the pipe-tile… some pixels longer than what the mere visuals would allow for. 

And then, in high-tempo movement Louis/Scraps can jump from a ledge of invisible pixels far to the right of the Pipe-tile being jumped from.

Fair?

No.  

What the game demands?

Yes, sort of.

Jump from thin air.

Just think of the circular Pipe-entrance tile as a square block with equally wide floor.

What you cannot see is what you get.

Edited by Giles N