Photo

2017 Flashback FAQ and Speculation Thread

506 replies to this topic

#501 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

River Patroller

• 2,271 posts

Posted Tue Aug 8, 2017 12:01 PM

I'd ignore the audio some since I never cared much for the Sega Genesis tinny scratchy audio anyway if it were the only issue, but when it got into not being able to save or fire up some favorites off a SD card I grew bored with it.  I'm aware of that IR issue but only ever bothered with the handheld.

#502 Hwlngmad OFFLINE  

Hwlngmad

Space Invader

• 25 posts

Posted Tue Aug 8, 2017 1:13 PM

Because anyone bothering to make a written or video review of something like this is (a) a spoiled brat, and (b) inclined towards outrageous hyperbole, because that's where the clicks and the likes and they funnies are. 

The old SD consoles and portables don't sound great, but they play OK and at full speed. As you say, a marvel, especially at the near-nothing price, with legitimate licensing from the Sega (and Mortal Kombat) rights holders, and in wide distribution (no need to order sketchy stuff from China). Maybe it's an age thing -- I know that as an "older person," (genX) I still think miniaturization is still pretty amazing.

Putting my two cents in, I think that this product (Sega Genesis HD) has the chance to be pretty cool.  I, too, am a Gen Xer and think miniturization in all forms (whether it be products by AtGames or Emulation type devices) is quite amazing and really something spectacular to occur.  True, they (most likely) are not going to be perfect replicas of the original hardware and/or software; but getting darn close to it is still pretty cool.  I really do hope that the next Genesis HDs that are shipped out and reviewed can live up to the hype and be a good, reasonable, and cheap alternative to going out and getting the original items themselves.

#503 ComputerSpaceFan OFFLINE  

ComputerSpaceFan

River Patroller

• 2,118 posts

Posted Tue Aug 8, 2017 1:19 PM

Classic Game Room has a review up.

Not the fixed version, as seen by the Pitfall footage. But he seemed to like it well enough. 

Wow Mark of CGR really loves him some Demons to Diamonds, I gotta replay that one cuz I never thought it was all that hot.

I totally agree with him at 7:24 that the next model needs paddles included (I'm hoping for wireless ones)

#504 BitMerge6502 OFFLINE  

BitMerge6502

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Yesterday, 5:46 AM

I noticed that in the pictures and reviews of the AF 8 Gold, the console has "Atari Flashback 8 Gold / 40th Anniversary" printed on the front of it (in white). However, from looking at the box mock up photos of the AF8G Activision Edition (which I assume hasn't been reviewed yet), the console only has the words; "Atari Flashback" printed on the front & nothing else. Is this just for the promo photos, or will there be any other branding on it to distinguish it from other Flashbacks or "40th Anniversary" labeled?

#505 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,424 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Yesterday, 7:41 AM

I noticed that in the pictures and reviews of the AF 8 Gold, the console has "Atari Flashback 8 Gold / 40th Anniversary" printed on the front of it (in white). However, from looking at the box mock up photos of the AF8G Activision Edition (which I assume hasn't been reviewed yet), the console only has the words; "Atari Flashback" printed on the front & nothing else. Is this just for the promo photos, or will there be any other branding on it to distinguish it from other Flashbacks or "40th Anniversary" labeled?

I'm not sure yet. I would be surprised if it didn't have some signifier on it, but yes, the mock-ups to date have not had anything but "Atari Flashback 8 Gold". If I remember when I get a unit, I'll report back. It's being worked on as we speak (the updates from the AF 8 Gold being incorporated, etc.).

#506 TrekkiELO OFFLINE  

TrekkiELO

Moonsweeper

• 303 posts

Posted Today, 9:23 AM

Hey Bill,

Any chance that AtGames is working to get Tengen AKA Atari Games (Warner Bros.) involved with the Sega Genesis Flashback for titles like...

Paperboy

Paperboy 2

Hard Drivin'

Klax
Rampart

RoadBlasters

Steel Talons

:cool:

Thanks!

#507 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,424 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Today, 9:27 AM

Hey Bill,

Any chance that AtGames is working to get Tengen AKA Atari Games (Warner Bros.) involved with the Sega Genesis Flashback for titles like...

I don't recall any discussions like that in recent years. They do continue to work on/with other third parties, so never say never. There should be some interesting (different) stuff coming in the next few years, and even in the shorter term (and yes, even related to Genesis stuff). 

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users