IGNORED

2017 Flashback FAQ and Speculation Thread

I'd ignore the audio some since I never cared much for the Sega Genesis tinny scratchy audio anyway if it were the only issue, but when it got into not being able to save or fire up some favorites off a SD card I grew bored with it. I'm aware of that IR issue but only ever bothered with the handheld.

Because anyone bothering to make a written or video review of something like this is (a) a spoiled brat, and (b) inclined towards outrageous hyperbole, because that's where the clicks and the likes and they funnies are.

The old SD consoles and portables don't sound great, but they play OK and at full speed. As you say, a marvel, especially at the near-nothing price, with legitimate licensing from the Sega (and Mortal Kombat) rights holders, and in wide distribution (no need to order sketchy stuff from China). Maybe it's an age thing -- I know that as an "older person," (genX) I still think miniaturization is still pretty amazing.

Putting my two cents in, I think that this product (Sega Genesis HD) has the chance to be pretty cool. I, too, am a Gen Xer and think miniturization in all forms (whether it be products by AtGames or Emulation type devices) is quite amazing and really something spectacular to occur. True, they (most likely) are not going to be perfect replicas of the original hardware and/or software; but getting darn close to it is still pretty cool. I really do hope that the next Genesis HDs that are shipped out and reviewed can live up to the hype and be a good, reasonable, and cheap alternative to going out and getting the original items themselves.

Classic Game Room has a review up.

Not the fixed version, as seen by the Pitfall footage. But he seemed to like it well enough.

Wow Mark of CGR really loves him some Demons to Diamonds, I gotta replay that one cuz I never thought it was all that hot.

I totally agree with him at 7:24 that the next model needs paddles included (I'm hoping for wireless ones)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that in the pictures and reviews of the AF 8 Gold, the console has "Atari Flashback 8 Gold / 40th Anniversary" printed on the front of it (in white). However, from looking at the box mock up photos of the AF8G Activision Edition (which I assume hasn't been reviewed yet), the console only has the words; "Atari Flashback" printed on the front & nothing else. Is this just for the promo photos, or will there be any other branding on it to distinguish it from other Flashbacks or "40th Anniversary" labeled?

I noticed that in the pictures and reviews of the AF 8 Gold, the console has "Atari Flashback 8 Gold / 40th Anniversary" printed on the front of it (in white). However, from looking at the box mock up photos of the AF8G Activision Edition (which I assume hasn't been reviewed yet), the console only has the words; "Atari Flashback" printed on the front & nothing else. Is this just for the promo photos, or will there be any other branding on it to distinguish it from other Flashbacks or "40th Anniversary" labeled?

I'm not sure yet. I would be surprised if it didn't have some signifier on it, but yes, the mock-ups to date have not had anything but "Atari Flashback 8 Gold". If I remember when I get a unit, I'll report back. It's being worked on as we speak (the updates from the AF 8 Gold being incorporated, etc.).

• Like 2

Hey Bill,

Any chance that AtGames is working to get Tengen AKA Atari Games (Warner Bros.) involved with the Sega Genesis Flashback for titles like...

I don't recall any discussions like that in recent years. They do continue to work on/with other third parties, so never say never. There should be some interesting (different) stuff coming in the next few years, and even in the shorter term (and yes, even related to Genesis stuff).

• Like 2

I would love to see "Snoopy and the Red Baron" on a future flashback release. It was originally developed and published by Atari. I don't know who owns the current rights to the game itself, but I would imagine there has to be some licensing issues with 'United Feature Syndicate' who owns the trademarks on the Peanuts characters. Hope this game isn't forever lost in "legal limbo".

Edited by BitMerge6502

I would love to see "Snoopy and the Red Baron" on a future flashback release. It was originally developed and published by Atari. I don't know who owns the current rights to the game itself, but I would imagine there has to be some licensing issues with 'United Feature Syndicate' who owns the trademarks on the Peanuts characters. Hope this game isn't forever lost in "legal limbo".

Unfortunately, games like that with additional license restrictions are very difficult to get approval for. Usually it requires multiple layers of approval and extra costs. That's just not a game that would justify that type of effort.

At the same time, there are games like that on the Sega side (with a secondary license issue) that we recently had success in getting (it will be a separate product outside the consoles and portables), so never say never. It's just unlikely.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, games like that with additional license restrictions are very difficult to get approval for. Usually it requires multiple layers of approval and extra costs. That's just not a game that would justify that type of effort.

At the same time, there are games like that on the Sega side (with a secondary license issue) that we recently had success in getting (it will be a separate product outside the consoles and portables), so never say never. It's just unlikely.

I suspected as much, since it hasn't been yet made available. Similarly, I do wonder why it took so long to bring Solaris back. It was an original Atari franchise and was included on the Flashback 1 (which was not ATgames), but never appeared again until the Flashback 6? I'm just glad it's on the HD versions, it's one of my favs along with 'Moon Patrol'. I think the game lists for the HD systems are pretty solid. My only complaint is that Jungle Hunt is not on the Activision edition.

I believe the answer to your Solaris question may partially be answered by the cartridge artwork itself.

c_Solaris_Red_front.jpg

Note the dual copyright and then recall that the Atari Flashback 1 was Nintendo-on-a-chip based, running shoddy offshored recreations of the original games. Not one line of original 2600 code is present, with the games in essence now NES games.

So presumably the original programmer owned his own game code while Atari themselves owned the Solaris trademark and the copyright to the game concept itself. So with my thinking, Atari/Legacy Engineering were free and clear to recreate it for the original Atari Flashback, but AtGames has had to license the source code itself from the programmer in order to emulate the 2600 original.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

There are 39 Activision games included on the Flashback Gold Activision. According to wikipedia, Activision released 45 games for the Atari 2600 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atari_2600_games#Games_published_by_third_parties ) (sort by publisher)

I compared AtGames's PDF (http://www.atgames.net/resources/assets/pdf/2017-Atari-Flashback-Gold-Activision.pdf) with the list of Activision games on wikiepdia. I just thought it would be nice to see a list of Activision games included and not included.

(** included on flashback Activision gold )

** The Activision Decathlon
** Barnstorming
** Beamrider
** Boxing
** Bridge
** Checkers
** Chopper Command
Commando
** Cosmic Commuter
** Crackpots
** Dolphin
Double Dragon
** Dragster
** Enduro
Fighter Pilot
** Fishing Derby
** Freeway
** Frostbite
Ghostbusters
** Grand Prix
** H.E.R.O.
** Ice Hockey
** Kaboom!
** Keystone Kapers
Kung-Fu Master
** Laser Blast
** Megamania
** Oink!
** Pitfall!
Pitfall II: Lost Caverns
** Plaque Attack
** Pressure Cooker
** Private Eye
Rampage
** River Raid
** River Raid II
** Robot Tank
** Seaquest
** Skiing
** Sky Jinks
** Space Shuttle: A Journey into Space
** Spider Fighter
** Stampede
** Starmaster
** Tennis
  • Like 1

Fighter Pilot is an Absolute Entertainment release and shows up on that AtGames list that you linked us to.

And that may be an old list. It still has F-14 Tomcat/Fighter Pilot on it which Bill said a few weeks ago had been cut, no Imagic games that I can see (Bill recently said that some were getting added), etc.

Then again, perhaps they've backtracked and made some last minute changes. Does seem like the 9 games that we expected to be cut are missing just as they should be. Nothing was said about that change at AtariAge until recently, and it's reflected here.

Edited by Atariboy

The official list is NOT out there. I have the list, but can't release it yet. Whatever has been posted and what you see, regardless of source, is NOT accurate. There is no F-14 on there, there ARE Imagic games, etc.

Just an FYI, a production-ready unit is being sent to Activision for their final approvals. Until those happen, there may still be a few minor changes.

• Like 4

So Bill et al, I'm fascinated by these and similar units from a manufacturing standpoint. As mentioned, the miniaturization and reproduction of all these legacy electronics is an impressive indicator of electronics and manufacturing evolution.

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere already, but I had a couple questions.

1. What are the flashback electronics technically doing in the latest generation? As in, are they reproducing some level of the original circuits of the 2600 in a few ICs, are they supporting a software environment that runs 2600 roms, or are they something else running modified game code?

2. Where/how are the controllers or cases manufactured these days as compared to the original systems? Are they sharing any of the original controller molds; are molds cast from original components; is it all scratch manufactured based on specs of the original designs? Obviously the console case is a totally new product, but since the controls are effectively reproductions, it would be neat to know how much if anything relates back to the original process. I'd like to see an Atari joystick manufactured on "How it's made".

It was always funny to see the early parts from the original Kenner Star Wars toy line being reused in products even in the last few years. I suppose these days you can copy most anything to reproduce new molds for mass production. I'm wondering if the next step of these type products will evolve into some kind of "componentized" old school Ford assembly line type manufacturing where generalized ICs and molds are pulled from a shelf to create a variety of products as the functionality of certain designs becomes more universally suited to a variety of applications. That, or we'll 3D print everything in small quantities where everything is as unique as a 3D render. (and everything gets it's own kickstarter??? shudder)

• Like 1

So Bill et al, I'm fascinated by these and similar units from a manufacturing standpoint. As mentioned, the miniaturization and reproduction of all these legacy electronics is an impressive indicator of electronics and manufacturing evolution.

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere already, but I had a couple questions.

1. What are the flashback electronics technically doing in the latest generation? As in, are they reproducing some level of the original circuits of the 2600 in a few ICs, are they supporting a software environment that runs 2600 roms, or are they something else running modified game code?

2. Where/how are the controllers or cases manufactured these days as compared to the original systems? Are they sharing any of the original controller molds; are molds cast from original components; is it all scratch manufactured based on specs of the original designs? Obviously the console case is a totally new product, but since the controls are effectively reproductions, it would be neat to know how much if anything relates back to the original process. I'd like to see an Atari joystick manufactured on "How it's made".

1. The newest HD units are using Android-like hardware with a custom software emulator. The SD stuff and handheld are also using software emulation, but with the same type of chipset that's been present in the units since the Flashback 3.

2. China. They're new molds, just like on the Sega Genesis Flashback design. I don't know what the status is of the original molds. Although they're backwards compatible, the controllers use a different internal design. Many actually prefer the AtGames joysticks over the originals because they have looser play versus the stiffness of the originals. I don't personally care either way, but I do know it's easier for my younger daughters to work the looser joystick than when they try to use the originals. It's all in what you grew up with, I suppose.

• Like 4

So presumably the original programmer owned his own game code while Atari themselves owned the Solaris trademark and the copyright to the game concept itself. So with my thinking, Atari/Legacy Engineering were free and clear to recreate it for the original Atari Flashback, but AtGames has had to license the source code itself from the programmer in order to emulate the 2600 original.

Solaris is on one of the Nintendo DS compilations though, isn't it?

• Like 1

Not in the US, which is the AtGames primary market. (By the way, I'm a big PC Engine/TG-16 fan and have a large personal collection of the stuff.)

A dream of mine is to have a new Turbo Grafx system released. I have the Atari Flashback Portable 2016, am super excited about the Ataribox, and have the Flashback 8 Gold on reserve at Gamestop, but the Turbo Grafx is my absolute all time favorite system. The interesting thing is the Flashback 8 Gold I have reserved is the first Game Console I purchased at Gamestop since I purchased the Turbo Grafx-16 at EB Games in 1992. My uncle took my cousin and I to EB Games. My cousin picked out the Sega Genesis, and I purchased the TG-16 with Cadash, Ninja Spirit, and Neutopia II. Over the years, I have owned several TG-16 units, PC Engine units, as well as the Duo, and currently still have a Turbo Grafx-16 console. A new console, as unlikely as it would be to come to market, would be an absolute dream come true. Until that day, I am enjoying the Atari news as of lately. Fun times to be an Atari fan.

Edited by TheCravenBarley

Many actually prefer the AtGames joysticks over the originals because they have looser play versus the stiffness of the originals. I don't personally care either way, but I do know it's easier for my younger daughters to work the looser joystick than when they try to use the originals. It's all in what you grew up with, I suppose.

Heh, I grew up with the original Atari joysticks and I much prefer the AtGames reproductions, exactly for their looser play.

• Like 1

Oh, I almost forgot. I heard a few rumblings about releasing a 2.4ghz Atari stick and USB dongle for PC use.

GIMMEEEE!!

If you're referring to what AtGames is doing, I said we were considering a PC dongle for our 2.4 GHz Atari sticks and Sega controllers. As of now, it's not scheduled for development this year. The controllers are paired only to their respective AtGames consoles.

• Like 1

A dream of mine is to have a new Turbo Grafx system released. I have the Atari Flashback Portable 2016, am super excited about the Ataribox, and have the Flashback 8 Gold on reserve at Gamestop, but the Turbo Grafx is my absolute all time favorite system. The interesting thing is the Flashback 8 Gold I have reserved is the first Game Console I purchased at Gamestop since I purchased the Turbo Grafx-16 at EB Games in 1992. My uncle took my cousin and I to EB Games. My cousin picked out the Sega Genesis, and I purchased the TG-16 with Cadash, Ninja Spirit, and Neutopia II. Over the years, I have owned several TG-16 units, PC Engine units, as well as the Duo, and currently still have a Turbo Grafx-16 console. A new console, as unlikely as it would be to come to market, would be an absolute dream come true. Until that day, I am enjoying the Atari news as of lately. Fun times to be an Atari fan.

The best non-NEC option right now is the Retro Freak. It does a great job with TG-16/PC Engine/SuperGrafx stuff. Of course, it doesn't support any of the CD stuff.

• Like 1