IGNORED

2017 Flashback FAQ and Speculation Thread

To SEGA: make AtGames fix the sound in the portable or give the license to someone else. :-/

I get what your saying, but considering AtGames has been doing this for a few years now and there are no other companies (from what I have seen) trying to do the same as AtGames, I kinda doubt it is going to happen. Now, if they could do something a la Nintendo with its NES Classic Edition, then perhaps things would be different then. Still, I believe in what AtGames is doing and deserves a chance to make things right, as it looks like they are doing.

• Like 1

I look forward to what comes next from AtGames...

Although this may not be the thread for it, I thought I'd mention one thing in what seems to be a RetroN 5 Vs. Retro Freak argument...(As both are AtGames competitors).

I know my experience may be the opposite of everything you've heard, but I'd like it on record that I bought both a RetroN 5 and a Retro Freak. The RetroN 5 has performed flawlessly with no issues at all other than the normal issues associated with emulation, and The Retro Freak was Broken right out of the box...I got a title screen and nothing else and soon the title screen disappeared too. I got a refund and never looked back. I always figured I got a lemon and may someday give them another chance (Or I might look into getting a RetroEngine Sigma)...

I look forward to what comes next from AtGames...

Although this may not be the thread for it, I thought I'd mention one thing in what seems to be a RetroN 5 Vs. Retro Freak argument...(As both are AtGames competitors).

I know my experience may be the opposite of everything you've heard, but I'd like it on record that I bought both a RetroN 5 and a Retro Freak. The RetroN 5 has performed flawlessly with no issues at all other than the normal issues associated with emulation, and The Retro Freak was Broken right out of the box...I got a title screen and nothing else and soon the title screen disappeared too. I got a refund and never looked back. I always figured I got a lemon and may someday give them another chance (Or I might look into getting a RetroEngine Sigma)...

Neither the RetroN 5 nor the Retro Freak are considered competitors to the AtGames stuff. They're in a different price class and category. As for the Retro Freak, since I got that a few years back, I haven't touched the RetroN 5. It does everything that does and more, and requires no hacking. It does cost more, though.

I had actually recommended that AtGames become the US distributor for the Retro Freak, but again, they don't participate in products greater than $80. Retailers wouldn't carry them (products priced higher than that) on behalf of AtGames. AtGames plays strictly in the "toy" category, although the NES Mini did provide some wiggle room for this year and beyond.

• Like 1

So the NES Mini is discontinued. Is this a Good Thing for AtGames stuff, a Bad Thing, or just a Thing?

It seems to me it was good that Nintendo stoked some interest in the toy segment of the market.

A very good thing in my opinion. It already served its purpose of raising the price point and quality levels. Now, with it leaving the market, the lazy headlines write themselves: "Missed out on the NES Classic? Sega/Atari has you covered!" The market itself/consumers should also be primed for the easy comparisons.

• Like 3

BillLoguidice, on 13 Apr 2017 - 6:36 PM, said:

Neither the RetroN 5 nor the Retro Freak are considered competitors to the AtGames stuff. They're in a different price class and category. As for the Retro Freak, since I got that a few years back, I haven't touched the RetroN 5. It does everything that does and more, and requires no hacking. It does cost more, though.

I had actually recommended that AtGames become the US distributor for the Retro Freak, but again, they don't participate in products greater than $80. Retailers wouldn't carry them (products priced higher than that) on behalf of AtGames. AtGames plays strictly in the "toy" category, although the NES Mini did provide some wiggle room for this year and beyond.

Although I didn't explain myself very well, I didn't mean that RetroN 5 and Retro Freak were direct competitors....Merely that someone interested in, say, the Sega unit from AtGames, might instead decide to save up and get a Retro Freak or RetroN instead because it would do more...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/13/nintendo-discontinues-the-nes-classic-edition

Son of a biscuit! :mad: :sad:

I don't get it.

Sorry, there have been rumors going around for months pointing to a potential discontinuation. I was unaware of the official announcement at the time of writing. I expect the eBay price will get a notable bump as a result. Damn, what a shitstorm of a product launch... :sad:

A very good thing in my opinion. It already served its purpose of raising the price point and quality levels. Now, with it leaving the market, the lazy headlines write themselves: "Missed out on the NES Classic? Sega/Atari has you covered!" The market itself/consumers should also be primed for the easy comparisons.

Given yesterday's Nintendo Classic announcement, if they can fix the sound issues this year then they have just been handed the golden marketing ticket. If I was at Sega and had any intelligence and saw this, oh boy!

Nintendo took their controller and went home, now play with us!

Nintendo hates Classic gamers, Sega STILL does what Nintendon't!

#SegaStillCares

#GameOverNintendo

And my favourite

#SwitchToSega

• Like 3

I agree with what Bill says. If the product improvements AtGames is planning for the Atari, Sega, and (supposedly) Intellivision flashback consoles I think they (meaning AtGames) is in a very good position. However, just like the state of Missouri, you gotta show it to me first.

• Like 1

I agree with what Bill says. If the product improvements AtGames is planning for the Atari, Sega, and (supposedly) Intellivision flashback consoles I think they (meaning AtGames) is in a very good position. However, just like the state of Missouri, you gotta show it to me first.

To clarify, any SD units, including any potential (still not a given) Intellivision/ColecoVision FB 2, as well as the Atari/Sega portables, will likely be substantially similar to past versions. It's *possible* the sound bug will be fixed on the Sega SD stuff, but not a given at this time.

The hardware platforms/emulation for the HD Sega and Atari consoles, as well as their hardware feature set and UI/UX will be completely different from anything before it. There will be no AV issues. These will be premium offerings with price tags to match. I do not want to go into detail, but other than some general performance tweaks that still need to take place, the HD systems are just about there. If everything continues to come together like it is, those will easily be a match (and then some) for the NES Classic Mini in all but cachet.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I seem to be late to the party on this one, I didn't realize until recently that this info had gotten out.

There is one thing that worries me, and that is the list of filler games. Not there are filler games at all, but rather that they seem to be the same games that were on the previous Genesis classic -this implies that it is running on the same hardware profile as the older system. I'm hoping I'm wrong about that, but I don't see how it could be otherwise.

Awww yeah. This is what we want. Now, how about when, and how much?

85 games (hopefully all Sega Genesis games, not filler stuff)

RF wireless controllers

HDMI 720p

Suspend/restore states

a cartridge slot (wouldn't Everdrive compatibility be nice?)

vintage style case design

attachicon.gifImageHandler.ashx.jpeg

I seem to be late to the party on this one, I didn't realize until recently that this info had gotten out.

There is one thing that worries me, and that is the list of filler games. Not there are filler games at all, but rather that they seem to be the same games that were on the previous Genesis classic -this implies that it is running on the same hardware profile as the older system. I'm hoping I'm wrong about that, but I don't see how it could be otherwise.

I've stated it multiple times, but I can see how all the info can get lost. The SD systems are using substantially the same hardware/software. The HD systems are on a completely new hardware/software base. If there are any issues with the HD systems those will be new issues, not the same old issues. Any of the one-off software, like Frogger, Space Invaders, the generic Sega-like games, etc., have all been ported to the new platforms as needed.

• Like 2

I imagine it didn't happen, but I'd love to see them fine tune their Frogger port sometime. Great conversion, but in my opinion feels halfway complete without a soundtrack and does a disservice to the rest of their work on it.

I'd love to see them copy Konami's public domain substitutions or choose their own selections, and make them sound like they're running on early 80's arcade hardware. Konami did such a good job that most are unaware it's not even original.

Edited by Atariboy

It's 2.4G wireless, and no, it won't be compatible with anything else at this time, although a separate USB dongle might be made and sold (consider that only a maybe at this time).

That controller alone would be worth the money to me...

Yeah, it amazes me no Bluetooth dongles or controller combos have been made for Genesis/Atari-style controllers as of yet. We obviously already have NES, SNES, etc., and even Apple II, and they work quite well.

Yeah, it amazes me no Bluetooth dongles or controller combos have been made for Genesis/Atari-style controllers as of yet. We obviously already have NES, SNES, etc., and even Apple II, and they work quite well.

Arent they're all from the same company though? 8bitdo seems to own that space.

Maybe there's a clue in the thread, "how come a lot of retro collectors skip Atari?"

On second thought, it seems more obvious than that: I can play Atari and Genesis games (and many others) with a SNES controller. I can't play SNES with a Genesis controller, and an Atari controller is even more limiting.

It's 2.4G wireless, and no, it won't be compatible with anything else at this time, although a separate USB dongle might be made and sold (consider that only a maybe at this time). No SD card slot, although that may be a possibility in the future. No cartridge slot on the Atari HD, although an SD card slot might be a possibility next year (the Atari one will have a strong line-up, though). Flash carts might work with the Sega HD, but at the moment, assume they don't just to be safe. It's still being finalized, but will be something I'll eventually test out (obviously several flash carts worked with the standard def console).

Although fun, there's really nothing else to speculate about at this time. You have all of the key facts.

One thing to keep in mind is that 8bitdo, or any other company creating products with base in the far East is not going to create any accessories for the Atari. Just like there is no nostalgia in the Americas or PAL regions for Japan or eastern exclusive "pre-Famicom" consoles, there is zero nostalgia for Atari products in Japan or China / HK because it wasn't market there at all or was extremely unsuccessful.

Surprise surprise when 8-bitdo, Krikzz, et al have nothing to announce for Atari manufactured consoles or any other pre-crash American brand, because the guys designing the products have no experience or nostalgia for them. One potential ray of hope is that if a Genesis 8bitdo product is produced, there is a slim chance it may operate on the Atari, stock, or with a reverse biased diode connected between pin 7 (Atari VCC) and pin 5 (Genesis VCC).