IGNORED

Lunar Eternal Blue

adamchevy

Is it worth buying a Sega CD just to play Lunar Eternal Blue? Not to mention the cost of the game which is usually between 80$ to 200$. Maybe Dark Wizard would be my second good reason to buy a Sega CD. But I'm really only interested in Lunar Eternal Blue. The Silver Star Story was one of my favorite playstation games. I never knew they started on the Sega CD. Better late than never I guess.

9a6951a33e4c39e8561d4341754e5c22.png

I loved The Silver Star. I haven't ever replayed it, but I did feel it was one of the best RPGs of the 16 bit era. I think I'd rate Silver Star after Final Fantasy III and Shining Force but above Phantasy Star IV in terms of how enjoyable I found it back in the day.

Now, that said, I didn't like Eternal Blue. I found it a huge let down. I also didn't like the modifications Working Designs made to the game engine, like paying experience points for saves and cranking the difficulty up to nearly unreasonable levels.

On the other hand, my partner greatly enjoyed the game. I have to admit the story was interesting, it was just that the game engine made me not care. My partner was able to persevere and it became one of his favorite games of all time.

Eternal Blue is also available on the PS1. My partner thinks the PS1 version is better than the SegaCD version. He also thinks the PS1 version of The Silver Star is better, and this is another area where we disagree. I prefer the random combat and the rawer feeling of the original.

But yeah, find some youtube videos without commentary or turn the volume off.

But definitely get Dark Wizard, it's a truly great game with lots of play and replay value.

• Like 1

Hi,

In my opinion (having played both sega cd and ps1 versions)

I would say that if you prefer the non ps1 silver star chances are you will like the non ps1 eternal blue, i humbly state it is always worth having a sega cd (playing popful mail right now!) As there are a few gems to be had (like popful mail)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Eternal Blue is good, but it's no Silver Star. I haven't played fully though the Sega CD version yet, but my understanding is there's less changes between it and the PS1 remake than the Sliver Star versions. If you just want to see the story, the PS1 take should be fine.

Of course, I agree with Hecmeister- there's a lot of good stuff on the Sega CD. You should look into the library a bit more and see if there's anything else that catches your interest. May I suggest the other two Working Designs titles, Popful Mail and Vay? They're not as good as the Lunar titles, but they're still fun! (At least Vay is. I don't have Popful Mail yet.)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great input so far. I checked YouTube, and I wasn't impressed with the selection of videos . I greatly value the opinions of the Atariage members on retro systems. Sounds like their are many good reasons to own a Sega CD. I'm excited to have a new platform to explore.

Eternal Blue is good, but it's no Silver Star. I haven't played fully though the Sega CD version yet, but my understanding is there's less changes between it and the PS1 remake than the Sliver Star versions. If you just want to see the story, the PS1 take should be fine.

Of course, I agree with Hecmeister- there's a lot of good stuff on the Sega CD. You should look into the library a bit more and see if there's anything else that catches your interest. May I suggest the other two Working Designs titles, Popful Mail and Vay? They're not as good as the Lunar titles, but they're still fun! (At least Vay is. I don't have Popful Mail yet.)

I would definitely suggest popful mail if you like platformers, I am thoroughly enjoying it!

• Like 1

I would definitely suggest popful mail if you like platformers, I am thoroughly enjoying it!

How did you afford a copy? Wow, $250-$350. It must be an amazing game. Is there some kind of multicart for Sega cd? For that kind of money I think I need to buy a raspberry Pi once and for all. Edited by adamchevy
  • Like 1

I did not pick up my copy at today's prices, I usually get stuff and when I have time play it, and switching between systems and all their library's makes it so I always have a backlog of games to play!

As far as a sega cd multicart, I don't know of any

• Like 1

Oh, it's 100% on the buy list, it's just price-prohibitive at the moment.

How did you afford a copy? Wow, $250-$350. It must be an amazing game. Is there some kind of multicart for Sega cd? For that kind of money I think I need to buy a raspberry Pi once and for all.

Not surprisingly, most Sega CD games didn't sell in large quantities, so higher prices can & do happen. I got lucky- Silver Star & Vay came with my $20 console when I bought it 15 years ago.

If you're down to emulate, this is a good system for it. The discs have no copy protection, so (I assume) they're quite hackable.

Edited by HoshiChiri
  • Like 1

I preferred the Saturn version of both Lunar games myself, but there actually was some good games for SegaCD

I agree Popful Mail is a great game played though it many times, I understand it's a bit of collectors item now.

Vay, is a pretty good RPG ported by working designs. I might recommend it over Lunar as it's a little more mature.

If you are down with adventure games as well there are some good titles.

Snatcher (SegaCD is the only native English version) is a really good one, but probably fetches some $ these days.

The port of Rise of Dragon was good, IMO this is the best version. Willy Beamish (the Adventures of), while probably has the best graphics/sound combo of all ports load times really slog the game down.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

man, i can't imagine liking Silver Star & not loving Eternal Blue...and the PSX versions are nice but make big changes to plot/challenge/music sometimes. i'm also glad others here pointed out the greatness of the system's library as well.

and yeah, agreed on Popful Mail's price being crazy right now!

• Like 1

man, i can't imagine liking Silver Star & not loving Eternal Blue...and the PSX versions are nice but make big changes to plot/challenge/music sometimes. i'm also glad others here pointed out the greatness of the system's library as well.

and yeah, agreed on Popful Mail's price being crazy right now!

Popful Mail must be the best game on the Sega CD for the $300 plus prices I keep seeing it sell for on eBay. It would be great to see a remake of this game on the Nintendo Switch.

Yeah I am not sure why the prices are so high. Probably just the rarity of the title these days. I think back in the day I bought it for 10$, new. This game is fun on other platforms as well. While I prefer the sprites on the sega cd, I like the longer and more indepth cut scenes in the pc engine version. The snes version is also not a half bad platformer as well.

• Like 1

Yeah I am not sure why the prices are so high. Probably just the rarity of the title these days. I think back in the day I bought it for 10$, new. This game is fun on other platforms as well. While I prefer the sprites on the sega cd, I like the longer and more indepth cut scenes in the pc engine version. The snes version is also not a half bad platformer as well.

• Like 1

I just purchased an everdrive, I didn't know it played Sega CD games. That's awesome!

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/mega-everdrive-x7-deluxe.html

Yessir....CD BIOS loading. Works with 32x games as well. You'll be hard pressed to ever pay ebay prices again...

Of course you do need the hardware to play the games (Sega CD, 32x)

• Like 1

The Mega Everdrive X7 runs SegaCD ISOs?

I'm not seeing anything like that on the feature list. I'm just seeing that it can be used to run the system as if different SegaCD bios are being used. And it can be used as a Backup RAM cart.

Please clarify, because if this new model can run ISOs, then it's definitely time for me to upgrade my old Mega Everdrive Deluxe cart.

• Like 1

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/mega-everdrive-x7-deluxe.html

Yessir....CD BIOS loading. Works with 32x games as well. You'll be hard pressed to ever pay ebay prices again...

Of course you do need the hardware to play the games (Sega CD, 32x)

I thought the cd bios feature was only loading a bios from a different region?

Edited by Hecmeister
  • Like 1

I preferred the Saturn version of both Lunar games myself, but there actually was some good games for SegaCD

Yeah, if you can read Japanese, the Saturn versions of Lunar are a very affordable alternative. I think I payed about 35 bucks total for the 2 games. Haven't gotten around to starting Eternal Blue yet though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wife ended up buying me a copy of Lunar Eternal Blue for Christmas. It will be great to play this on my JVC X'Eye. I'm going to burn a copy of a few of the more expensive games to see if there really worth the price. The one good thing is that most of the expensive SCD games are really holding value. I could resell them if I don't end up liking them. Right now I'm looking at picking up the misadventures of flink as well.

Edited by adamchevy
  • Like 2