IGNORED

Where is the Intellivision Flashback Portable?

Rev

Picked up the Atari Portable the other day...great stuff. Screen is a bit small...but the SD card slot is fantastic. Added tons of ROMs to it. Works perfect. Def hoping for an Intellivision Portable one day! hint, hint...Keith.

Or an updated Intellivision Lives for 3DS, with all the Imagic games from Intellivision Rocks ... preferably in digital form so we don't have to hunt down cartridges or worry about scarcity.

The old DS game was quite nice, as the controls actually made sense with the little touchpad right up front, overlays and all.

http://www.nintendolife.com/games/ds/intellivision_lives

Although a company like AtGames would never produce one due to lack of a market, that would be an interesting challenge for a homebrew project. With more and more homebrew portables being developed, it's probably just a matter of time (maybe even within a few years) before it will probably be practical to "graft" the necessary controls onto a good portable platform. Certainly I think that's what would be ideal with an Intellivision portable, i.e., having the real deal controls on it.

Something like that could maybe take the form factor of a Nintendo Switch, in that we could have a core processor unit with screen, etc., and have different controls slide onto the sides. This way we could do an Intellivision Portable, a ColecoVision Portable, etc., with authentic controls, sort of like how some of the current Pi-based console systems are done.

• Like 1

I think someone could port jzintv to the newer Nintendo DS making use of the analog stick. Also move the keypad to one side of the touch screen so its thumb workable. That cable link for two player games is optional. It might be better than anything atgames would make. Controls are still backwards. I cant see someone making one as a home project other than fastening a 4" display to an original intellivision controller.

Anyone know the sales numbers for the Intellivision Flashback, just for comparison with a theoretical Intellivision Portable?

All I can say is that it sold reasonably well, but did not meet overly lofty retailer expectations. Same thing with the ColecoVision Flashback. As such, no future hardware from AtGames will be created for either of those two properties. More software beyond the two PC SKUs is still a possibility, although there are no plans at this time, nor do I have any particular expectations for there to be.

That's always a possibility in my mind. Didn't someone pack something into an Intellivision controller already? Again, as long as we already have a movement for homebrew DIY handhelds, I don't see any particular restriction for that eventually forming the foundation of more custom creations. It won't be cheap, but then homebrew stuff rarely is.

With more and more homebrew portables being developed, it's probably just a matter of time (maybe even within a few years) before it will probably be practical to "graft" the necessary controls onto a good portable platform. Certainly I think that's what would be ideal with an Intellivision portable, i.e., having the real deal controls on it.

The Android port of jzintv could be updated to work with USB controllers via OTG cables ... it doesn't seem to have been touched in three years so I don't know how interested the developer would be. This strikes me as the path of second-least resistance.

The easiest and cheapest way to make a Flashback Portable would be to roll your own, using a cheap laptop computer, an emulator, and a USB Intellivision controller. Done!

• Like 2

No, seriously... Has anyone been able to use a Bluetooth controller with it in android? There is a video of someone doing this but I can't figure out how.

My understanding is that jzintv4droid doesn't support external controllers. In general you can get a controller to work with any app without native controller support by having a progran that maps the controller to screen touches. I think it requires a rooted android.

I agree with mr_me in that I don't think jzintv4droid works with external controllers. If support was added, it should theoretically be easy since most USB and Bluetooth joystick use the HID protocol (I worked on the Bluetooth HID specification). Once jzintv4droid supports USB or Bluetooth, adding support for the other should be easy.

That said, there are some exceptions to this (ex: original XBox joystick used USB but had proprietary protocol).