IGNORED

CfHdxS / CfHdxP Feature Request

Shift838

Fred will have to answer this since it's his program or someone that knows a hell of a lot more about it than me.

With Freds version of DM2k and CF2k it is possible to 'Execute' a program from within those program by pressing 'X' on the selected file.

Is it possible to add this feature to the CFHdxS and CfHdxP disk managers? For those of us with a Nano/CF7+

I could see this to be a benefit for these users to be able to execute the program that resides on the PC directory while running the TI-99HDX Server program. this way the user would not have

to always mount volumes and copy the programs to those volumes then remember where they were at a later date to run them.

Can this be done Fred?

• 4 months later...

Insane Multitasker asked me if it was possible to add HDX functionality to the UBERGrom using the UART,

and yes ... after quitte a few evenings and weekends fooling around and debugging here it is.

See www.ti99-geek.nl in the project section for the updated versions of CfHdxS1 v2.0, CfHdxP1 v2.0

and a new program UberHdx1 v2.0.

(They are all in the same download ... if you choose one you get them all)

All these three programs share the same code only the part that talks to the hardware differs:

CfHdxS1 -> SIO of the nanoPEB or RS232/1 of the PHP1220 RS232 card

CfHdxP1 -> PIO of the CF7A+

UberHdx1 -> UART of an UBERGrom (mp UART at last GROM base >983C, GROM slot >A000)

Added some functions (from CF2K)

X for executing a program

When a nanoPEB or CF7A+ is used; ctrl-s and ctrl-d to browse through the available volumes

and ctrl-1, ctrl2, amd ctrl-3 to mount a volume for DSK1, 2 or 3.

A mounted volume is not written back to the CF card ... it only exists while this program is

running.

Fred ;-)

Edited by F.G. Kaal
  • Like 7

The release of this was a tad earlier than expected, but I think that new program will make a lot of people VERY happy.

I'm curious, and to clarify things, if this program was burned into a 49F040, would those only running with Matt's 32K sidecar also have the "X" feature to execute a program from the PC as well? A lot of guys starting out or getting back in would sure benefit from that!

On another note it's kind of neat to see the UberGROM take over some things lately that could only have been done with an RS-232 in the past. At the rate our ranks are growing, the scarcity of RS-232's may not be as large of a problem as I anticipated.

Pairing Ubergrom/UberHDX together with my CF7+, I no longer have to deal with removing the compact flash when I have a few files to copy.

Pairing Ubergrom/UberHDX with a nano serial, I can use the ubergrom as my conduit to the HDX server. That freed up the nano serial port for my UDS-10 (or tcpser connection) so that I could telnet to Heatwave, Fusion, the Keep, etc.

• Like 1

Remember that a DSR hosted in GROM has two issues:

First, it must be /written/ in GPL, not assembly.

Secondly, only programs that scan for GPL DSRs will find it. The Editor/Assembler DSRLNK, which most programs use (or a variant of it), only scans ROM DSRs.

For maximum compatibility you need a ROM DSR.

(Although.. it would be a neat hack to create a ROM DSR that scans GPL DSRs for you... ;) )

• Like 1

Insane Multitasker asked me if it was possible to add HDX functionality to the UBERGrom using the UART,

and yes ... after quitte a few evenings and weekends fooling around and debugging here it is.

Fred ;-)

Thanks, Fred, It's nice to see that feature getting some use. ;)

• Like 1

First, it must be /written/ in GPL, not assembly.

Couldn't the GPL be limited to a thin wrapper around (the exsting) assembly?

Secondly, only programs that scan for GPL DSRs will find it. The Editor/Assembler DSRLNK, which most programs use (or a variant of it), only scans ROM DSRs.

Sure, but at least it would give you more options than using UberHdx1 only.

Couldn't the GPL be limited to a thin wrapper around (the exsting) assembly?

Yes, but if you want it to be fully contained in the GROM, then where will the assembly be stored? Of course I guess you can use the full cart with the 512k ROM, then you're in business. :)

Sure, but at least it would give you more options than using UberHdx1 only.

Anything GPL, and a handful of assembly programs. :)

I have an UberHDX question. From what I'm to understand, the UberHDX has the ability to execute a program file. So if a person with only a 32K sidecar wanted to run E/A 5 programs it should not be an issue, correct? If so...

1) Does anyone know if the hardware will be released as a completed unit or in kit form?

2) On the software, did I overlook the location of the .BIN someplace?

I have an UberHDX question. From what I'm to understand, the UberHDX has the ability to execute a program file. So if a person with only a 32K sidecar wanted to run E/A 5 programs it should not be an issue, correct? If so...

2) On the software, did I overlook the location of the .BIN someplace?

I do not recall if Fred tested with only a 32K - he'd have to confirm that. My tests were with the CF7, nano, and PEB systems as I don't yet have a 32K stand-alone.

I'm curious what are you trying to do with a .BIN file? Your question sounds like it is missing or expected?

Well, since it requires an UberGROM board, I'm assuming if one would wanted run the program without a CF7, Nano or PEB, they would require the program to be burned into a chip inside the UberGROM.

There are a lot of the 32K sidecar units out there now. This would give those users some additional flexibility and capabilities.

That makes perfect sense. Gazoo's XB2.7 cart has the earlier HDX version, which is what I used to initially transfer over the UberHDX program for testing. If the ubergrom was on a side-cart, we could put the file on a FR99 ;) I don't have the ability to modify or update a BIN but others probably do. I wonder if there are any other creative methods that could be employed.

• 4 months later...