IGNORED

Intellivisionaries episode 30 is up!

Rick Reynolds

In this episode we review the Mattel Electronics game Royal Dealer. Cmart (Christian Martin) joins us again, as does George, spreading some holiday cheer in this December / Christmas / Holiday episode. We interview former Mattel Electronics ‘retail merchandiser’ Ken Stefancic, and have our usual helpings of Feedback and News. There’s plenty here, even for those folks who don’t care about card games (like Paul)…

http://intellivisionaries.com/episode-30-royal-dealer/

• Like 2

That's what I love about he podcast. There is plenty of other entertainment during the podcast even when the game being covered is not the most interesting one. It's a true testament to all your hard work!

Lol. Yep. I believe that's a "lipstick on a pig" scenario in this case. :)

I remember a kid who got Royal Dealer when it first came out. He explained he was an only child and there weren't that many one player games. I still made fun of him.

I appreciate Rick's expert opinion on Royal Dealer as a Hearts player. It made me think if Intellivision Las Vegas was any good at poker, I don't think it was.

Edited by mr_me

It was really hard for me to get into the game, since I never really played much of these card games in real life... hence my 'douchey' behavior interrupting Rick with my game playing. I was really doing that while we recorded. He didn't know what was coming up next. But Rick is a pro, and thoroughly explained the games, as well as his personal experiences with them, despite my childish (entertaining?) antics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Now that Vectron is the next game, we need to have each of the Intellivisionaries play Joe Z's level 99 rom and see if they can beat the game.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/194913-which-intellivision-games-are-winnable/?p=2478507

Or more directly here: http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/dl/vectron99.rom

I played the game quite a bit as a kid, but I've not touched it since. I'd need to play it for a bit before I'd attempt to tackle level 99

• Like 2

I listened all the way to the end, thinking that the last 4 minutes would have one last gem in a show full of gems... Wrong I was. :)

In this episode we review the Mattel Electronics game Royal Dealer. Cmart (Christian Martin) joins us again, as does George, spreading some holiday cheer in this December / Christmas / Holiday episode. We interview former Mattel Electronics ‘retail merchandiser’ Ken Stefancic, and have our usual helpings of Feedback and News. There’s plenty here, even for those folks who don’t care about card games (like Paul)…

http://intellivisionaries.com/episode-30-royal-dealer/

• Like 1

It's funny having never played this game but certainly being aware of it and seeing the screen image I always thought the woman character sitting in the center (or I guess head of the table) was a dude. It always looked like two women and a dude you were playing. A dude with a big ol' wide 70s shirt collar. Also the discussion on what the one lady was wearing was amusing. I mean Will got it right it's obviously fishnets.

• Like 1

I just completed a full day training at work on Financial Markets in which the trainer's name was Richard Levine, who claimed that before joining the financial industry, he was a software engineer. :o

I asked and alas, he is not the Rick Levine we know. For a moment I thought the class was going to be very interesting!

-dZ.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

It was really hard for me to get into the game, since I never really played much of these card games in real life... hence my 'douchey' behavior interrupting Rick with my game playing. I was really doing that while we recorded. He didn't know what was coming up next. But Rick is a pro, and thoroughly explained the games, as well as his personal experiences with them, despite my childish (entertaining?) antics.

I just caught up on the podcast, and I wanted to say I didn't find this segment entertaining. Yeah, it's a card game, but Rick clearly is enthusiastic about it and he had something worthwhile to say. The 'douchey' behavior got in the way. I would have enjoyed it better if Rick had done the segment by himself.

I just caught up on the podcast, and I wanted to say I didn't find this segment entertaining. Yeah, it's a card game, but Rick clearly is enthusiastic about it and he had something worthwhile to say. The 'douchey' behavior got in the way. I would have enjoyed it better if Rick had done the segment by himself.

That's funny, I thought the game itself was what got in the way. I mean how exciting can card video games be? I know the guys plan to cover all the games and that includes this one, but there must be something that can be done to cure the boredom for some of us?!

@FifthPlayer - thanks for the recognition that I was putting my best into that! :) I confess, I actually like card games to a degree - not as much as other styles of video games, but I had fun with the cart.

@atarifan88 - funny! I'm sure Paul was trying to do exactly what you're describing. I did in fact wonder if I went into too much detail after listening to the final episode. I really like having a serious deep-dive into all these games, but I wondered if the whole community was listening and thinking "ok Rick, we get it... let it die already!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lol, you did a great job as always Rick. It's not your fault that most people find these games rather boring compared to all the gems on the Inty. I just admit this might have been the toughest to get through, mostly because I just didn't care about the games. Also, no particularly cool variations exist for this game, other than maybe the French Canadian box and the PC manual and that's kinda stretching it, so my attachment to it is rather limited. :) On to Vectron!

• Like 1

I've got countless hours playing Royal Dealer as a kid.

These days when I need to get my card fix taken care of I play Hoyle Card Games

Although now that I have my Ultimate Controller, I can now start playing Royal Dealer again.

Now you and Rick just need to figure out how to play multiplayer Royal Dealer over the interwebs. :)