IGNORED

ACA500plus expansion available for preorder

remowilliams

I always wanted to gut a broken A1010 and use its case for the ACA500 alongside my A1000. But alas, only bad 1010 I've run across, ended up stuffing an HxC SD floppy emulator into it. Turned out really nice! icon_love.gif

Huh. Never thought about that. I have several 1010s in various conditions. I actually have not done a single floppy emulator, I use the real thing but there is an idea here.

Looks really good! Glad it includes 2 plates as i already modded my case for the indivision ecs.

I was thinking the same thing as I did the same thing :) This is a well thought out case. Still waiting for mine....I have a USPS tracking number now as DHL passed it over to them.

This case was the only way to go. It was not cheap (around $60 USD) but the quality is superb not to mention the fact that at least in my case it is protecting about $350 of hardware :) Well worth the price and not a very common thing either. I mean, with how many people actually own ACA500+'s I can't imagine there will ever be a big market for the cases.

Wow, been a long long time since I really USED an Amiga to do stuff. Took me half a day to get drives partitioned and WHDLoad with ClassicWB running (doing it all in emulation...even though I probably did not have to) ...boy am I rusty! Anyway, working great now! I love this ACA500+!

post-21417-0-03972200-1489547171_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-50064900-1489547185_thumb.jpg

Edited by eightbit

Well for crying out loud. After spending all of that time prepping the second card with Amiga FFS in order to use WHDLoad games, it turns out I could have just formatted the Aux card FAT32 and simply copied the WHDLoad games to it. I know they said you can exchange data between PC and the ACA500+ via the Aux CF port, but they did not mention you can execute Amiga code (games, apps, etc) from a FAT32 formatted CF. They also did not mention you can boot Workbench from that slot either :) Well, no documentation does not help at all.

I did find a curious bug. If you have a CF fully formatted and partitioned with Amiga FFS partitions and use it in the CF Aux slot it works fine and all of yoru partitions will show up, but a "CF Aux:NDOS" icon will also show up on the desktop. Must be something to do with the dual format support of that slot and the FAT95 driver not understanding it while the amiga driver does. Just out of curiousity I tried to format it but it just goes forever (Or so I am to assume...didn't let it try for too long!) ;)

Now I have the Amiga slot with ClassicWB and some partitions for demos, apps, and work stuff and the Aux CF slot with a FAT32 formatted 4GB filled with WHDLoad stuff. Works great!

• Like 1

Wow, been a long long time since I really USED an Amiga to do stuff. Took me half a day to get drives partitioned and WHDLoad with ClassicWB running (doing it all in emulation...even though I probably did not have to)

It's actually easier to set up CF HDD/WB on the ACA500plus then it is in emulation thanks to having all the Workbench disks in ROM and automounted :)

And yes the CFAUX FAT32 file support is awesome!

It's actually easier to set up CF HDD/WB on the ACA500plus then it is in emulation thanks to having all the Workbench disks in ROM and automounted :)

And yes the CFAUX FAT32 file support is awesome!

Yes, if you want vanilla WB 3.1 it is really useful to have them in ROM. However I wanted to use ClassicWB, and I see no way of actually getting that set up initially other than using emulation. Maybe there is a way... but I couldn't find it. Setting it up in emulation only took minutes though as long as you know the steps and it works GREAT on the real amiga 500 with the ACA500+ when done. I am really impressed at what this machine is capable of now. If I had this setup in the late 80's I probably would have never purchased any game consoles ;)

The only other thing I need now is a 1MB A500+ trapdoor expansion. I have an A500+ but it is an oddity. It is a 512kb A500+....not common but Commodore did make them obviously. I have a 512mb trapdoor expansion and thankfully the ACA500+ converts it to chip so that almost every game is playable. I say almost as I cannot play Cannon Fodder whdload as it needs 1.1MB chip :( . I see Kipper2k made a 1MB A500+ expansion so I reached out to him and hope he will get back to me. Unless anyone knows of any other 1MB trapdoor for the A500+ that is available anywhere?

Edited by eightbit