Photo

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

956 replies to this topic

#951 Nezgar OFFLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,972 posts

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:06 PM

EDIT: Found your earlier picture post here: http://atariage.com/...37#entry4256778

I forgot about those pictures, good stuff. I just compared the pictures against my 800XL install.

The wire connections all match up with mine.

The jumpers match up with mine.

It looks like there's some added solder on the +5 and G pads, or maybe a difference between the Bryan & MacRorie produced boards, but these two pads were bridged when I received them, did you cut the traces between them? I can't see that clearly.

I also installed mine into a socket piggybacked onto the 4050 chip. I think that was to keep the RF modulator functional.

Does the computer run fine with the UAV removed and the original 4050 replaced? (To confirm that some random solder blob didn't short something out...)

#952 manterola OFFLINE  

manterola

Moonsweeper

• 355 posts

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:29 AM

If everything else looks correct, send pictures of your UAV. My UAV came with defect from the assembly: one SM resistor was in the wrong position. It took me weeks to finally realize what the problem was. So that can also be a possibility.

Regards,

#953 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 4,084 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:38 AM

Remind me - I’m on my phone and not at home to check ... that photo is for a 1200XL installation. Are the UAV jumpers for the 800XL and 1200XL configured the same?

#954 mytek OFFLINE  

mytek

River Patroller

• 3,431 posts

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:57 AM

The Atari was running fine before attempting this upgrade. After installation, I turned on the computer and got very badly distorted video. I can't even describe what it looked like, just a jumbled mess. I turned off the computer, reseated just the UAV board, and turned on the computer again. This time the computer didn't even turn on. No power light, nothing.

I was randomly turning the computer off and on at various times and at one time the computer DID turn on (power light came on) but there was no video. I turned the computer off, then on again, and again had no power.

I did a more complete check of the installation photos you posted earlier, and nothing seems amiss (configuration jumpers look correct for 800XL).

Have you removed the UAV and put the computer back to the way it was? If so, does the computer now work and produce proper video?

I noticed you seem to be saying that the computer's power-up was inconsistent after doing the UAV installation, to the point of not even turning ON. If this is only true with the UAV in place, then it suggests that the UAV is drawing a lot of power which should not be the case. However this does concern me and makes me question the stability of your power supply. Have you checked it's output voltage both by itself, and also when powering your computer?

#955 chad5200 OFFLINE  

chad5200

Chopper Commander

• 128 posts

Posted Sat May 11, 2019 5:04 PM

Few questions... sorry if these are already answered in the thread.  If so, please point me.

1)  My NTSC 800XL already has the "Quick & Easy Video Upgrade for 800XL" that Bryan posted about here:

https://atariage.com...rade-for-800xl/

Do I need to undo this modification prior to installing a UAV?

2) Similar to first question, my NTSC 1200XL already has the ClearPic 2002 modification posted here:

http://retrobits.net.../clearpic.shtml

3)  Concerning the UAV.XEX program... I assume this is software to assist calibrating the UAV.  What is the technique for this for calibrating both Composite and S-Video (Chroma/Luma) on an NTSC 800XL and NTSC 1200XL?  

#956 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 4,084 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Sat May 11, 2019 6:57 PM

Few questions... sorry if these are already answered in the thread.  If so, please point me.

1)  My NTSC 800XL already has the "Quick & Easy Video Upgrade for 800XL" that Bryan posted about here:

https://atariage.com...rade-for-800xl/

2) Similar to first question, my NTSC 1200XL already has the ClearPic 2002 modification posted here:

http://retrobits.net.../clearpic.shtml

3)  Concerning the UAV.XEX program... I assume this is software to assist calibrating the UAV.  What is the technique for this for calibrating both Composite and S-Video (Chroma/Luma) on an NTSC 800XL and NTSC 1200XL?  

1. I put a UAV into an 800XL after Bryan's earlier Quick & Easy upgrade. I think all I needed to do was cut the pad on the UAV to provide the +5V for the board - I remember the Quick & Easy mod runs a cleaner +5V signal from up near the power jack so I just re-directed that line to the UAV, if I recall correctly.

2. I haven't done the ClearPic mod to as 1200XL, but I did do a simpler version recommended by others here that involved fewer component swaps; gave a great improvement for minimal effort. I later put a UAV into that 1200XL without further changes.

3. The UAV.XEX program is merely a color-bar generator used to adjust the color-phase pot on the UAV. It shouldn't have much if any visible effect at all on a Chroma/Luma connection.

#957 chad5200 OFFLINE  

chad5200

Chopper Commander

• 128 posts

Posted Sun May 12, 2019 3:36 PM

1. I put a UAV into an 800XL after Bryan's earlier Quick & Easy upgrade. I think all I needed to do was cut the pad on the UAV to provide the +5V for the board - I remember the Quick & Easy mod runs a cleaner +5V signal from up near the power jack so I just re-directed that line to the UAV, if I recall correctly.

I finished installing the UAV on my modded 800XL.  It is working well so I think I might be done.  But I was wondering what you said about the +5V signal as my previous mod also modified that like this: 

"L5 & new power lead

The same trace that brings 5V to the video circuits also powers the clock oscillator circuits. 1 clock circuit for NTSC, and 2 for PAL. The shared power route can cause faint vertical bars to appear in the picture. The purpose of inductor L5 was to deal with this noise, but it doesn't really do enough.

Remove L5 (or at least lift one leg of it out of the board). This will break the old 5V path.

Solder a wire from the front lead of C3 (electrolytic to the right of the power jack) to the front hole of L5 (or to the front lead of C51 next to it). If you run this wire along the RF modulator, it should clear the shield. 20 or 24 gauge wire should work well."

So I am wondering if I should do anything special with this previous 5V modification along with the UAV?

Here is a picture of mine where you can see the 5V modification (black wire running alongside the RF modulator:

IMG_42881.JPG

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users