IGNORED

CRT Sets

NinjaWarrior

I could respond specifically to this post, but sometimes "no comment" is the wisest choice. :roll:

Retroblox shares an uncanny similarity to the RVGS idea that Mike Kennedy pitched some time ago, except the development team isn't entirely incompetent and actually produced a prototype.

• 3 months later...

I just wanna bump this for new people

But all I see is Butt-hurt Replys

Face it Pre-PS2 looks better on a CRT though RGB/Component

Yes, There's people out there just want to get there NES's HDMI Modded to play on there 4K TV's

Last night I'm following someone on twitter, She was playing a SNES Game on her LCD using 16:9 :( that bugged me

• Like 2

Pre PS2? I for one would be in no rush to play the many 480i PS2 games on anything but my Sony Trinitron.

My GameCube/Wii and Xbox libraries were dominated by 480p releases which most HDTV scaling chips handle well enough. But the option is fairly rare in my PS2 collection and 480i just doesn't make the leap very well from a visual standpoint in many cases, not to mention that HDTV scalers often introduce noticeable input lag when tasked with deinterlacing a video signal.

Short of perhaps a high-end upscaler like a XRGB, I'd say that a nice SD CRT is hard to beat for PS2 games. And as an added bonus, unlike the Xbox and Wii where widescreen games seemed to be more common than not, 4:3 was the aspect ratio of choice for a large swathe of the PS2 library. So games will fill your display without any distortion on the PS2 or the need to adjust scaler settings to stretch or pillarbox each game.

And of course you avoid the 240p over component issue that plagues many HDTV's. Not so important for PS2 games proper since not many output at that resolution, but if you want to play PS1 games on your PS2, it becomes a significant annoyance.

Edited by Atariboy

My PS2, with component, on my 60" Plasma...

utter shyte... and that's not me being a picky asshole... I don't know if it cause my TV is Plasma or what.... but it's... bad

Hard to explain bad.... like the weirdest pixelization/compression artifacts like you've ever seen.

It was actually better with Composite... still ugly.... but better.

I thought my cable might be faulty, but I tried a friend's, and it was the same...

At the time I was upset... had to keep playing PS2 on my CRT... or use composite on my 60"...

But I don't play PS2 anymore, and ironically, my 60" plasma got so little use, I gave it to my parents!

*I do kinda miss it for movies though... but I'm on a VHS kick now, so again, CRT is my best choice!

Edited by Torr

There are lots of other reasons to invest in a high-end upscaler, but it's a topic that's been beaten to death and I don't think we really need to be going down that path again.

It has. Please stop.

• Like 1

Reading comprehension helps.

Pre-ps2 means ps1 and older game systems

CRT is better for retro games period. Go shoot some ducks and tell me otherwise.

Yep, CRT's is the best

My PS2, with component, on my 60" Plasma...

utter shyte... and that's not me being a picky asshole... I don't know if it cause my TV is Plasma or what.... but it's... bad

Hard to explain bad.... like the weirdest pixelization/compression artifacts like you've ever seen.

It was actually better with Composite... still ugly.... but better.

I thought my cable might be faulty, but I tried a friend's, and it was the same...

At the time I was upset... had to keep playing PS2 on my CRT... or use composite on my 60"...

But I don't play PS2 anymore, and ironically, my 60" plasma got so little use, I gave it to my parents!

*I do kinda miss it for movies though... but I'm on a VHS kick now, so again, CRT is my best choice!

Wow, When I was houssitting for my brother on the 4th, He has 55' LCD TV, I would be bored if I didn't bring my Wii with my emulators on Component

I can feel the lag, No CRT's at his house at all

It has. Please stop.

Stop what?

Wait, does that mean I'm not hot? Because I'm certainly not a balding, overweight manchild. :P

I picked up a Sony Trinitron tonight, and I'm excited. I'll finally be able to play light gun games again and use those Master System 3-D glasses I bought years ago.

• Like 2