Photo

Trebors 7800 ROM PROPack

28 replies to this topic

#1 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• 4,646 posts

Posted Sun Jan 1, 2017 6:00 PM

A source for reference of ROMs with proper headers, inclusive of the original NTSC and PAL library as well as homebrews, hacks, demos, and prototypes, presenting...

A tremendous thanks to RevEng for both hosting the above archive, at the phenomenal 7800.8bitdev.org site - A fantastic reference for developers and those curious of the technical aspects regarding the Atari 7800 platform - And for the awesome 7800header tool, included with 7800AsmDevKit and 7800basic.

Some noteworthy points of the archive:  Proper flagging for light gun, trak-ball, and paddles, which incorporates separate files for the respective controller types and regional difference when applicable.  No more generic titles.  Every ROM was examined and modified accordingly with an appropriate embedded name.   POKEY and HSC support configured properly for the games which support them.

A more detailed list of whatsnew for the archive is included in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

#2 evg2000 OFFLINE  

evg2000

Stargunner

• 1,346 posts

Posted Sun Jan 1, 2017 6:09 PM

Thanks

#3 sramirez2008 OFFLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 2,606 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Sun Jan 1, 2017 6:15 PM

Yes - Thank you.

#4 Jinks OFFLINE  

Jinks

River Patroller

• 4,468 posts

Posted Sun Jan 1, 2017 6:33 PM

Fyi looks as tho hover bovver and apple snaffle are completed. Hoping for a release someday..

#5 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,646 posts

Posted Mon Jan 2, 2017 10:36 AM

Fyi looks as tho hover bovver and apple snaffle are completed. Hoping for a release someday..

A couple of months ago, I saw that thread GroovyBee started. Perhaps he will respond to your inquiry.  ;)

#6 Jinks OFFLINE  

Jinks

River Patroller

• 4,468 posts

Posted Mon Jan 2, 2017 10:38 AM

A couple of months ago, I saw that thread GroovyBee started. Perhaps he will respond to your inquiry.  ;)

;)

#7 Everett1954 OFFLINE  

Everett1954

Moonsweeper

• 305 posts

Posted Wed Jan 4, 2017 7:56 AM

Great work and much appreciated!

#8 Atari_afternoon OFFLINE  

Atari_afternoon

Dragonstomper

• 551 posts

Posted Wed Jan 4, 2017 6:16 PM

Thank you - much appreciated here either :) love to discover new things on "old" consoles :)

#9 Stun Runner 87 OFFLINE  

Stun Runner 87

Stargunner

• 1,245 posts

Posted Thu Jan 5, 2017 6:26 PM

A source for reference of ROMs with proper headers, inclusive of the original NTSC and PAL library as well as homebrews, hacks, demos, and prototypes, presenting...

Trebors 7800 ROM PROPack v1_0

A tremendous thanks to RevEng for both hosting the above archive, at the phenomenal 7800.8bitdev.org site - A fantastic reference for developers and those curious of the technical aspects regarding the Atari 7800 platform - And for the awesome 7800header tool, included with 7800AsmDevKit and 7800basic.

Some noteworthy points of the archive:  Proper flagging for light gun, trak-ball, and paddles, which incorporates separate files for the respective controller types and regional difference when applicable.  No more generic titles.  Every ROM was examined and modified accordingly with an appropriate embedded name.   POKEY and HSC support configured properly for the games which support them.

A more detailed list of whatsnew for the archive is included in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

Very cool.
Thanks for sharing.

Is Toki on the list ?

#10 bmx OFFLINE  

bmx

Chopper Commander

• 218 posts

Posted Mon Jan 9, 2017 2:27 AM

:thumbsup:  Thanks

#11 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 18,138 posts

Posted Mon Jan 9, 2017 2:32 AM

Thank you for doing this. Now we only need to wait for Batari to iron out the Concerto bugs! :lol: :lolblue:

#12 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,646 posts

Posted Sat Jul 8, 2017 8:11 AM

*UPDATE*

Trebors 7800 ROM PROPack v2_1

What has changed since v1.0 posted back in January?

For starters, an alternate version of Winter Games, that some have on (original retail) cart, has been included under the 'Retail' folder.  It features significantly less sounds, simpler graphics and slightly different colors, in some areas:

WG.PNG WG-Alt.PNG

More discussion regarding the two versions is found in this thread.

A plethora of demos, hacks, and homebrews have been newly added or updated respectively:

NEWAllura (Picture Demo), Asuka Sky (Picture Demo), Asuka Surf (Picture Demo), Batman (Picture Demo), Buttons (Picture Demo), Capcom Vs SNK (Picture Demo), Double Buffer Demo, Double Dragon (Graphics Demo), Double Dragon (Title Picture Demo), Double Dragon (Walking Demo), Draker Quest II, Enterprise (Picture Demo), Frogus, Graphics Modes Test, HunterS (Picture Demo), KC Munchkin (Alt Movement), Kessel Attack (Hack), Mario Bros (Mario Right Hack), Plumb Luck, Pokey Kong (Early Version) (Hack), Shantae Tiles (PlotMap), Sick Pickles, Slime Time (Hack), SMB Screen (PlotMap), Styverson (Picture Demo).

UPD3D Maze Game, Double Dragon (GFX Hack), Rider of the Night, Santa Simon, Sky Scrapper 2115, Super Circus Atari Age.

A huge thank you to all the hardware and software devs that make this community so active and exciting.  It is truly appreciated...

Enjoy!

#13 iddod OFFLINE  

iddod

Space Invader

• 41 posts

Posted Sat Jul 8, 2017 8:37 AM

ah, my flashcart loves you... thanks man...  :thumbsup:

#14 Mephitblue OFFLINE  

Mephitblue

Star Raider

• 69 posts

Posted Sat Jul 8, 2017 8:54 AM

Thanks for maintaining this rom pack!  Just loaded it up on my Retropie

#15 24Fanatic365 OFFLINE  

24Fanatic365

Chopper Commander

• 200 posts

Posted Sat Jul 8, 2017 1:22 PM

ah, my flashcart loves you... thanks man...  :thumbsup:

Luckeee! I so wish the Concerto would hit the open market sometime. Or that someone else would pick it up and run it to release!

Read my writing at https://www.smashwor...ew/ThatAaronGuy

#16 groundtrooper OFFLINE  

groundtrooper

Dragonstomper

• 589 posts
  • So many POKEY home brews. So few POKEY chips.

Posted Sat Jul 8, 2017 4:29 PM

Nice update. Thanks. Now that I have DKPK I can open up another slot on my Mateo's and try some other roms. 

#17 Mayhem OFFLINE  

Mayhem

Commodore Chaos Knight

• 5,231 posts
  • Cartridge master

Posted Sun Jul 9, 2017 5:39 AM

Nice update, there's probably a few bits in there I don't have...

#18 Tigerduck OFFLINE  

Tigerduck

Star Raider

• 71 posts

Posted Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:36 AM

Thank you, saves me a lot of time to search for completeness of me roms...

#19 Atari_afternoon OFFLINE  

Atari_afternoon

Dragonstomper

• 551 posts

Posted Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:43 PM

Thank you for your work, it´s much appreciated :)

#20 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,646 posts

Posted Sun Dec 3, 2017 5:29 PM

*UPDATE*

What's new since July?

In honor and recognition of Ken Sider's body of work, along with the approval of AtariAge, the final AtariAge cart release versions of b*nQ and Beef Drop have been made available for public distribution.

Additionally, there is a slew of demos, hacks, and homebrews that have seen updates or newly added:

NEW: 10 Print Maze Demo, 24bit Value Comparison, Animated Moving Demo 24 / 32, Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest (Wonder Hack), Death Merchant, Ghosts'n Goblins 320B PlotMap Title Demo, Ice Climber 320B PlotMap Demo Screen, INXS 320B PlotMap Title Demo, Mappy Sound Demos, Maze Generator, Millipede (Snapshot), Paddle Test (DLI Sampling), Price Randomization Test, SMB 2 Screen (PlotMap), Space Junk, Spire of the Ancients (Formerly "3D Maze Game"), Super IRG Flipping Images Demo, The Big Burrito, Trakball Test (DLI Sampling), Truchet Tiling Demo.

UPD: Frogus, Graze Suit Alpha, RPG Tile Demo, Scramble (Date update), Sick Pickles, Sky Scraper 2115.

A very heartfelt thanks and gratitude to all developers on the hardware and software front continuing to infuse the community with excitement...THANK YOU!

#21 Jin OFFLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• 2,982 posts

Posted Sun Dec 3, 2017 5:42 PM

Thank you very much for the update Trebor! Your ROM pack really is the definitive Atari 7800 digital compilation and I for one sure appreciate all the work you've put into it. I'll be looking forward to trying the final versions of the Ken Sider—may he rest in peace—games as well, since I've never owned the original carts. Thank you once again and I'll look forward to seeing you in the next round of the 7800 High Score Club! :)

#22 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

River Patroller

• 2,387 posts

Posted Sun Dec 3, 2017 5:58 PM

Thank you very much for the update Trebor! Your ROM pack really is the definitive Atari 7800 digital compilation and I for one sure appreciate all the work you've put into it. I'll be looking forward to trying the final versions of the Ken Sider—may he rest in peace—games as well, since I've never owned the original carts. Thank you once again and I'll look forward to seeing you in the next round of the 7800 High Score Club! :)

Same for me, Thank you. Also, I'd like to mention the work done in the testing and fixing of the bad ROMs when compiling the PROPack. No need to hunt for good versions of ROMs.

#23 groundtrooper OFFLINE  

groundtrooper

Dragonstomper

• 589 posts
  • So many POKEY home brews. So few POKEY chips.

Posted Sun Dec 3, 2017 5:59 PM

Very nice update Trebor. And very timely for me.

My Concerto should be showing up this week and this will be a great test. I am crossing my fingers that it works, but my 7800 Serial numbers don't lean towards a positive outcome. One can hope I guess. 

And if it doesn't work I have some stuff to strip some headers from and load onto my Mateos. Have 3-4 games on there that I have bought the carts for so I can free up those slots for something new.

#24 Lynxpro OFFLINE  

Lynxpro

River Patroller

• 3,666 posts

Posted Mon Dec 4, 2017 12:57 PM

Dumb question but what does "No HSC set" mean? Does HSC mess up when the supported games are played in an emulator?

#25 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,646 posts

Posted Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:45 PM

Dumb question but what does "No HSC set" mean? Does HSC mess up when the supported games are played in an emulator?

Short Answer:

"No HSC set" means that the presence of high score saving code is not set in the header flag.   However, HSC does not mess up when the supported games are played in an emulator.

Detail Answer:

"No HSC set" is an incorrect header setting for games that do contain high score cart (HSC) saving code (I.E. Asteroids, Centipede, Dig Dug, Food Fight, Galaga, Joust, Ms. Pac-Man, Robotron: 2084, Xevious).

For games that do containing HSC saving code, under real hardware, when HSC saving (cart or device) is present, associated screens and saving would be demonstrated.  By fixing the HSC flag in the respective ROM image header, it properly reflects the cartridge/game data and behavior.

Emulators the support HSC saving (I.E. A7800), and have it enabled, will provide the appropriate HSC saving.  Emulators that do not have HSC enabled or do not support the HSC, simply play the game as usual. 

So, just as would occur under real hardware, it is dependent on whether such HSC saving means are present and enabled, or disabled/absent, that will determine the respective game's behavior under emulation when the header is properly set.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users