IGNORED

1981 4A hates ROM cartridges

jedimatt42

Ok, they work... but it is very temperamental. All of my ROM only cartridges are problem-matic, and my XB-2.7 Suite throws a fit sometimes too... ( any uber-grom )

I've cleaned and deoxed and contact improved the little right angle grom port piece.

I've searched and searched for the 2x18 edge connector, hoping to find gold plated contacts - or even just new and fresh contacts... but with no luck...

Then I'm wondering, is this a thing: can the socket on the motherboard get messed up? Have people heard of this? or do people generally have 200 spare consoles and just move a fickel-ported machine to the back of the line?

I generally get better mileage with the Navarone widget installed. As long as I don't touch it... Well I touched it.

Is there a source anyone knows of for the 2x18 edge connectors - I'm tempted this weekend to pull my console apart and touch up the motherboard joints... I had dismissed this idea, because the plastic housing for the console uses those ears on the right-angle grom adapter to prevent strain... but 10000 iterations of a half-millimeter of flex could amount to some damage... or am I smoking something legal/ish in Oregon?

-M@

Hmm, this looks like a market that could be filled with a newly designed PCB mated to an AMP connector... but what new feature could be added?

I just want to have one work as TI designed it... That would be a new feature for me. Unless I go back to the 80's. :) I LOVE the cartridge based system, and this community has taken it to new heights, and then I'm all - AARRRGGG... For instance, I had ubergrommed Tutenkham correctly a couple times before I could see that I did it correctly...

-M@

• Like 1

For griggles, I had my 4A 90℅ apart to diagnose another member's USB Keyboard adapter woes. So I stole the opportunity to reflow and add a little solder to the cartridge port on the motherboard.

Now all my Rom cartridges work. Without having to reseat them again and again. They just work, the first time. Like they are supposed to.

I probably just increased my lifespan by reducing a repeated frustration.

-M@

• Like 6

That's good advice. BITD I used the same method on my cartridges because the TI was my one and only computer and got so much use that it bordered on 'unintentional abuse'.

I thought about taking that step of building up the contacts on the cartridge themselves, but with each new cartridge I acquired, it became more clear that it was not the cartridge themselves, and I couldn't stomach needing to do that to all of my cartridges.

In this case, I never had a problem with GROM only cartridges, but even TI-XB would lock up. The RED boards would drive me nuts, and so would the black boards. Usually if the cart would show in the TI menu, I'd be ok, for a while..

GROMs only need one side of the pcboard contacts, which translates to one row of the pins where the socket meets the motherboard.

So I visualize that my grom-half has been playing the role of fulcrum, the right angle adapter the role of lever, and rom-half of the motherboard joints as the thing that had to give.

Day 2, and it all just works still :) That never happened before. Gravity would always undo whatever wiggling I did that made it work in the past.

-M@

• Like 4

Thanks for the links above this reply. Had I seen those, I would have bought American.

Ordered Dec 28 and received January 5 (fairly fast for international, imho).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140888511055- 5pc Industrial Card Edge Slot Socket Connector 240-36 18x2P 36P 2.54mm 0.1" 3A

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130970275089- 5pc Industrial Card Edge Slot Socket Connector 22x2P 44P 2.54mm 0.1" Right Angle

post-48993-0-73451500-1483915609_thumb.jpg

Edited by helocast