IGNORED

Thinking about getting back into the Atari 5200 after 30+ years (QUESTIONS)

Omega-TI

Back in the day I had an Atari 5200 with a couple of dozen really neat games, although around 1990 like an idiot I sold everything. Now that I'm considering getting back in, but I'd like to ask a couple of newbie-like questions.

1) Is there a VGA or HDMI modification for the 5200?

2) What is the best source for a WORKING joystick.

3) I remember seeing somewhere that it has a MultiCart, comments reviews a direct link?

4) What is the current sane & average going price? Some of those Ebay prices are just scary.

Anything else I should take into account or know about?

• Like 1

Oh yeah, one of the big factors in any purchase is, "bang for the buck." The AtariMax cartridge is something that I will want to purchase, but only if I can easily obtain the game .BIN files. For my TI-99/4A the FlashROM 99 has a ton of free .BINS for the taking

<< HERE >> that makes that cartridge a must have. As a returning newbie to the 5200 I seem to be overlooking the stash of files. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

No VGA or HDMI modification that I aware of but the LongHorn Engineer Board (LHE) sold and installed by ElectronicSentimentalies is great on a 5200. It provides composite and S-video output. I have one and it is great..

The best source for controllers are the rebuilt one by Best Electronic. He also sells the part and free directions if you are up to rebuilding the controllers yourself. He offers core credit of your old controllers too.

I also have AtariMax Ultimate SD cart and it is great, plenty of rom files available right here on AtariAge. Serach A8 to 5200 conversions and home brews in the forum and under 5200 section you will find all the retail releases available.

Consider getting a Trak ball too.

I would look for a two port model also (no power supply auto switch box which can cause some problems)

• Like 2

The Masterplay the clones that are available on ebay..etc is essentially a breakout box that you connect to the 5200 that allows you to use 2600 compatible controllers on the 5200 instead of the usual 5200 joysticks.

Our very own AA member atariguy1021 builds a Masterplay Clone. I highly recommend this product. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I checked out the Master Clone and it looks kind of neat, but I have a potentially stupid question...

Since the Master Play clone allows standard (digital) Atari type joysticks like the Wico to work with the 5200, how accurate is the control? IIRC, the 5200 joysticks we analog right? I imagine that alters gameplay to an extent.

The Best Electronic joystick appear$ to be out of my price range.

You still need an analog stick, either the stock 5200 stick, or a Wico analog stick, to play some games. You can't for instance play Gorf, Missile Command or Centipede with digital input. However, a digital controller works wonders for many other games in the library. A Masterplay device is nice, it gives you options. However, there are made-for-5200 digital controllers that are available, such as the Competition Pro, which is what I use.

There's really no getting around it with the 5200, be prepared to spend some money.

Yeah, I guess! My TI-99/4A sucks money like a Javelin AMX sucks gas. Now I'm planning to add another system into the mix. At least there appears to be an end point with the 5200... the TI keeps getting new stuff...that I just have to get. Once I get the console it'll be in for a penny, in for a pound and no going back.

This is the culprit for me wanting back into the 5200 universe...

sd_1.jpg

Honestly I just don't have the room for all the physical cartridges that I would want... or the willingness to buy them all over again.

This cartridge is simply awesome in my book. So now it'll be this and the MasterPlay clone... so far. Anything else?

• Like 3

I checked out the Master Clone and it looks kind of neat, but I have a potentially stupid question...

Since the Master Play clone allows standard (digital) Atari type joysticks like the Wico to work with the 5200, how accurate is the control? IIRC, the 5200 joysticks we analog right? I imagine that alters gameplay to an extent.

The Best Electronic joystick appear$ to be out of my price range.

Getting back into the 5200 is not going to be an inexpensive venture... All investments from when I got back in 2011 are nearing around $ 4k+ [incl.7800], granted I have many consoles ,odd accessories and every boxed [no bounty bob] or loose game along with multiple multi carts and home brews . Not everyone, including myself , really needs all of it to have fun.

I will reiterate what another said about best electronics CX52 lifetime controller, you WILL want it if you to actually want to fully enjoy the system, I've rebuilt close to 20 of my sticks with the upgrade ,and it's hands down the best money I've spent on the 5200.

I took a VERY different approach when I got into Colecovision... Waited till I found a big Coleco lot for next to nothing, bought a loaded 128-1 multi cart, and if this opcode stuff ever becomes "Readily" available, I will delve into that,

but to date I have roughly $80 invested in the 128-1 and the rest was free after I sold the Atari 2600 stuff that came in the lot..

I'm happy and so is the wife.

Edited by peedenmark7

if you are a player and don't collect cartridges and boxes, the Atarimax Ultimate 5200 SD cartridge is the way to go. Saves space and money in the long run.

If the Best Electronic controllers are too much money consider rebuilding your own using his parts.

A working controller and the Atarimax should be the first things youshould buy, all the others you can get later.

• Like 1

if you are a player and don't collect cartridges and boxes, the Atarimax Ultimate 5200 SD cartridge is the way to go. Saves space and money in the long run.

If the Best Electronic controllers are too much money consider rebuilding your own using his parts.

A working controller and the Atarimax should be the first things youshould buy, all the others you can get later.

If I had it to do over again, I'd do it exactly as you say !!!

Getting back into the 5200 is not going to be an inexpensive venture...

It's not that bad. I think your key purchases are:

Atari 5200 2-port system. Let's guess about $150.

2 Best Electronics controllers. Let's say about $120.

AtariMax SD flash cart. I think they're about $150.

Those are your key items. Consider that the starter set. Let's just round it up to $450. It's probably not a casual expense, but, look at it this way, once that is out of the way then everything else is gravy. You have access to all the games. You have access to homebrews. You have controllers that are going to last a long time. From my perspective, that isn't too bad.

After that, there are a few key items you'll want to add:

Controller adapter/Masterplay interface style device = I like the controllers, but it's undeniable that having one of these is handy.

Track Ball = You'll want this for Centipede, Tempest, and Missile Command. If you love any of those three games, then this controller should actually be acquired before you get a controller adapter.

Controller Holder = Unbelievably handy for Space Dungeon and Robotron.

Something to keep in mind about the 5200 is that it's a system which requires you to be faithful. The 5200 isn't a system to casually mess with. It's a system you have to show a level of devotion to. If the 5200 is a major focus of your retrogaming, then you'll probably enjoy it. If the 5200 is just something you want to fiddle with on rare occasions, then you're going to get frustrated.

That's probably good advice. I'll see what condition the controller(s) are in when I get a unit and go from there.

Atari 5200 2-port system. Let's guess about $150.

Ouch...

When I got back into the TI-99/4A the console was only about $35.00 and that price roped me in. Now about $750.00 later I'm almost where I want to be on my primary system, so I've started building a high-end small footprint gaming only configuration.

On the Atari 5200 any system I get WILL get loving attention and get the best care and upgrades one can imagine (over time) like I did to my TI system. Honestly though, I was not counting on the initial investment on the 5200 to be so steep.