IGNORED

WANTED: Feedback for Alpha Race

Dauber

I'm looking for feedback for the next episode of the Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast (you can find it on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/homebrew78 )

What are your thoughts on Alpha Race on the 7800? As it is loosely based on Omega Race, thoughts on Omega Race are welcome as well.

This game will be covered on Episode 3.

You can also e-mail text or audio to homebrew78 -at- fab4it -dot- com

• Like 1

Hi Sean!

Just a note to let you know I am really enjoying the show, but so far I don't have any of the homebrews you have covered/announced. I am planning to submit feedback when we get to the items in my modest collection...

Thanks for all the work to carry the 7800 library forward! I was very happy that you were willing to take the baton from Phil.

Best always,

Ed

• Like 1

Played this game for the first time in a very long while, and then many times over; attempts stretched over the last few days.

Potential for a great game leaves the player yearning for more.

The ship's movement is a bit too abrupt. Considering the lack of multi-colored sprites, one of Maria's 320 modes would have been better suited for this title, allowing it to present and perhaps play considerably better.

I really want to like this homage-port more, but the final product leaves a feeling of underwhelmed. The aforementioned lack of color and resolution couples with very little TIA sound almost providing the vibe of a game release for the 2600 rather than the 7800.

Hoping to see more from the author as there is some really good talent evident; if brought together with some polish and overall improvements to game presentation and handling, a great game could be the end result.

• Like 2

Theoretically, 11:59pm CST Thursday, January 26. but if it gets in late, I can use it in a later episode. :)

I agree with Trebors findings. The movement seems too fast like you tap the thrust and your going your max speed instantly.

Definitely an older type of game that may seem more 2600 suited but what the heck better than what I could have done.

• Like 1

I like the extra options on controller choice and ship colors. The game itself feels simple, but I wind up dying fairly quickly - I haven't found a good strategy yet. If this was part of a HSC, I'd feel more challenged to play it more and might wind up liking it a lot, but for right now, it's an ok game.

• Like 1

I like this game. I like the sounds and options, but admit that it takes time to get a hang of the Thrust and Brake controls, especially once you start bouncing off the walls while trying to avoid the Indestructible Omega 3. I prefer to play with the background set to black, the ship set to yellow and the lights off because it provides a Vector like look.

I also like the accompanying letter, which serves as a certificate of authenticity. It not only identifies the number of your hand produced cart, it also provides a bit of insight to the developer. The letter states that "Alpha Race represents a lengthy labor of love by a life long fan of video games and the industry which was largely founded by Atari."

Thanks for making this game Brek Brixius. :)

• Like 1