IGNORED

1088XEL Alternative Mother-Board Project

mytek

Edit: do you think that keyboard speaks PS2?

After seeing this picture, I recall seeing this little board, connector, and cable inside the machine before. So it definitely is.

Also, something I didn't know at the time, this variant of keyboard (same as I had) used Cherry MX Blue switches, which have a high reputation amongst aficionados. Not surprising though; these were expensive boxes in their day.

post-6369-0-53436400-1508283422_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

After seeing this picture, I recall seeing this little board, connector, and cable inside the machine before. So it definitely is.

Also, something I didn't know at the time, this variant of keyboard (same as I had) used Cherry MX Blue switches, which have a high reputation amongst aficionados. Not surprising though; these were expensive boxes in their day.

attachicon.gifdolchkeyboard.jpg

Wow that's a sweet keyboard :-o . I'll have to keep a lookout for at least that piece of the system, if not the entire unit if it's at a good price.

Thanks for posting that.

- Michael

Wow that's a sweet keyboard :-o . I'll have to keep a lookout for at least that piece of the system, if not the entire unit if it's at a good price.

Thanks for posting that.

Yeah, I'm kicking myself for getting rid of it now.

You're in the prime area (or near to prime) to find such a beast in the wild.

Not to derail your thread, but the story behind the one I owned is interesting. I bought it in Sunnyvale somewhere around 2000 at a yard sale for $100; it was in like-new condition with all accessories. The woman who sold it to me had a brother who formerly programmed for Psygnosis at their SF branch. When it closed down, he got the box. It still had some remnants from Psygnosis on it when I got it. The unit was used by them to showcase programs when travelling.

When the company originally purchased the unit, they paid $18,000 for it. No Surprise as it was a dual Pentium Pro (200 MHz / 256K L2) machine with a bunch of high-end (for the time) video and audio processing cards. Early dual Pentium Pro machines with these specs went for no less than $10,000 to $12,000 at the time for the low end.

[Edit:] Reason they used this instead of a laptop is because laptops of 1997 (the year this Dolch was from) had crap for video cards. So there was nothing else they could take on the road that would do their wares justice.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 3

*** BOARD MANUFACTURING FILE RELEASE for DIY ***

Production Gerber Files: attachicon.gif1088XEL_Rev1_1_production_gerbers.zip

I've done two test batches through EasyEDA, and both times they came out fantastic and for a very reasonable price. If you use that link, you can simply drag and drop the zipped gerber file, and then fill out the details on the order form.

IMPORTANT: Chose 170 mm x 170 mm, 4-Layer, 2 mm Thick Board and the number of boards you wish to order. All other options can be left at defaults, unless you wish to customize things like solder mask color and/or surface finish to your preference.

Awesome! Thanks!

Just as a quick sanity check, I wanted to ask here: I clicked the EasyEDA link and dropped your ZIP file into it, then selected the size, layer and thickness options. I got a basic price in the range of $89 and change for a minimum order of 5 boards. Does that sound about right? I've never ordered PCB boards before and have absolutely no idea what is "reasonable" for this kind of thing.

This is more as a matter of curiosity really - in all likelihood, I'll try to piggyback on someone else's group buy or try to get a kit from MacRorie or something, but thought it would be a good idea to ask anyway.

• Like 1

Awesome! Thanks!

Just as a quick sanity check, I wanted to ask here: I clicked the EasyEDA link and dropped your ZIP file into it, then selected the size, layer and thickness options. I got a basic price in the range of $89 and change for a minimum order of 5 boards. Does that sound about right? I've never ordered PCB boards before and have absolutely no idea what is "reasonable" for this kind of thing.

This is more as a matter of curiosity really - in all likelihood, I'll try to piggyback on someone else's group buy or try to get a kit from MacRorie or something, but thought it would be a good idea to ask anyway.

I just checked it myself and got the following results for 5 and 10 pieces respectively...

post-42561-0-83627200-1508287685_thumb.png

+ $24.53 DHL Shipping = $22.11 per PCB (clicking Save to Cart will show you shipping)

post-42561-0-37973800-1508287698_thumb.png

+$36.77 DHL Shipping = $14.33 per PCB

Yours was about $3 higher on the 5 board manufacturing cost. Did you select something different such as color or surface finish?

At any rate you can see the economies of scale at work by just going from 5 boards to 10, and although the shipping will keep increasing as the quantity goes up, at around 20 boards they're about $10 a piece to your door.

- Michael

• Like 3

Are their any other companies besides EasyEDA anyone recommends?

I bought $50 worth of boards from them, just to Have them marked as "Delivered", but still in customs and never move. EasyEDA doesn't seem real interested in helping either.

Just wanted to put my experience with them out there before everybody starts sending them their business.

Are their any other companies besides EasyEDA anyone recommends?

I bought $50 worth of boards from them, just to Have them marked as "Delivered", but still in customs and never move. EasyEDA doesn't seem real interested in helping either. Just wanted to put my experience with them out there before everybody starts sending them their business.

I can certainly understand your frustrations, but it would seem that if customs is holding your boards then they are the problem and not EasyEDA. Personally I've never experienced a problem either with EasyEDA or with customs on any of their shipments, and have done 3 separate orders from them, one having multiple boards, and they all seem to arrive at my doorstep within 1 to 1-1/2 weeks of the order.

So although it's nice of you to report about your issues with an EasyEDA order, I won't presume that they are untrustworthy. But each person should weigh their options and make their own decision, because I'm certainly not making any money steering people in their direction. And I would just like to add that the quality of the boards I've gotten is outstanding.

Anyway I hope you get a resolution to the custom issues soon.

- Michael

I wasn't saying they are untrustworthy. But Customer service is always good with things go right. Just don't expect much help with things aren't perfect (Chinese company dealing English customers and international shipping). I Just want people to be aware that it's a lot like ordering from alibaba.com or aliexpress.com.

If you order from overseas, there is a chance of never receiving it and not being reimbursed. It's a small chance, but people nowadays expect everything to be like amazon.

But for the prices, I would take a chance on them again.

Or, even better, I If somebody gets their order and has some extra boards to sell - let me know. :)

• Like 1

LOL. Let me see what I can do . . . I already have 5" screens that work . . :-)

I'd also be interested in making a portable version at some point. Please tell me more about the 5" screens, do they do PAL and if so, is the image centered?

- Michael

• Like 1

*** BOARD MANUFACTURING FILE RELEASE for DIY ***

Production Gerber Files: attachicon.gif1088XEL_Rev1_1_production_gerbers.zip

I've done two test batches through EasyEDA, and both times they came out fantastic and for a very reasonable price. If you use that link, you can simply drag and drop the zipped gerber file, and then fill out the details on the order form.

IMPORTANT: Chose 170 mm x 170 mm, 4-Layer, 2 mm Thick Board and the number of boards you wish to order. All other options can be left at defaults, unless you wish to customize things like solder mask color and/or surface finish to your preference.

There are two shipping options depending upon where you live. DHL is very fast, but not cheap. However you'll get your boards in approximately 1 week choosing that option.

I still have some tweaks to do with the PIC firmware files, but i should get that done and uploaded here in about a week from today.

Enjoy :) !!!

- Michael

Please note that today marks exactly 9 months since this topic and first post were made. I also highly recommend going in on a group buy such as the one MacRorie is putting together. And once again let me warn you that assembly of this board requires an individual with excellent soldering and electronic assembly skills, and should not be attempted by a beginner.

I ordered 50 boards last night. Should be able to sell them for about $10/board + shipping. I went through and totaled up the BOM. It looks like a kit that includes *everything* (including buying UAVs from Bryan, U1MB from Lotharek, Chips from Best/B&C), it will be in the $300 range. UNASSEMBLED.

• Like 15

I ordered 50 boards last night. Should be able to sell them for about $10/board + shipping. I went through and totaled up the BOM. It looks like a kit that includes *everything* (including buying UAVs from Bryan, U1MB from Lotharek, Chips from Best/B&C), it will be in the $300 range. UNASSEMBLED.

What colour did you get? The only reason I may consider ordering a few is to go with crazy options like purple or something.

• Like 1

I know what I want for Christmas ... :)

• Like 2

MacRorie, are you going to have separate thread for pre/orders? I want a bare board.

I think that would be a good idea since this one is more oriented around the design aspect.

And just so stuff is easier to find... all pertinent downloads are also posted on a single page here: http://ataribits.weebly.com/1088xel.html

I will be streamlining the content a bit later on.

- Michael

• Like 2

Assembly...that's the trick isn't it and it will cost us iron-inepted, extra. ;)

Who do we hire...any maso...err volunteers? :P

• Like 1

Assembly...that's the trick isn't it and it will cost us iron-inepted, extra. ;)

Oh, I will definitely sell them in assembled versions as well, I just wanted to get it out in the open about the costs BEFORE assembly. I need to sit down and assemble a production version before I even begin quoting prices there. That's a lot of assembly.

• Like 2

Well, as excited as many people got, I wonder at $500 a shot, how many will buy a finished unit.

I have UAVs I have 1 U1mb so far, I have a 800xl to steal chips from . Then the rest of the BOM, the case, the cartridge 3d slot. Alas this is always the stumbling block of these really cool projects. Then 3 years from now someone will be saying can I buy one?? What do you mean they were too expensive interest wained and McRorie stopped making them?? LOL :)

Ahhh the retro computer hobby.

James

• Like 1

Mother fu**er. Just lost 20 minutes and a full page reply.

Short version - I'd feel I was ripping people off if I charged $150 to assemble and test a board. But I don't have a wave solder machine, and every single resistor and capacitor needs properly bent to fit in the board properly (this is the case with ALL PCB assembly, not a quirk or design flaw of this board). This design is what I would consider DIY, but I have also fully re-built every part of cars by hand before.

I'd love to help anyone interested in assembling their own boards, and all of my pictures are publicly accessible at https://www.flickr.com/photos/75619516@N06/albums/72157680581616133

• Like 6

Mother fu**er. Just lost 20 minutes and a full page reply.

Short version - I'd feel I was ripping people off if I charged $150 to assemble and test a board. But I don't have a wave solder machine, and every single resistor and capacitor needs properly bent to fit in the board properly (this is the case with ALL PCB assembly, not a quirk or design flaw of this board). This design is what I would consider DIY, but I have also fully re-built every part of cars by hand before.

I'd love to help anyone interested in assembling their own boards, and all of my pictures are publicly accessible at https://www.flickr.com/photos/75619516@N06/albums/72157680581616133

Actually for the time involved, $150 dollars sounds about right. Anything less and you might as well just go to work for McDonalds flipping burgers.

Just to give the folks out there a reality check, developing this board and the XEL-CF combined cost me $3,454 after I added up all the receipts. And my labor was for FREE. Good thing I can at least use it as a write off for my main business ;) . And the sense of accomplishment really made it all worthwhile. But I thought I'd share that, so that people get a better understanding of what it can cost a developer to create the things that Atari fans love to see.

- Michael

• Like 13

Short version - I'd feel I was ripping people off if I charged $150 to assemble and test a board.

I am still learning about this project, but I'd have no problem paying someone with your electronic skills/ability and Atari knowledge $150 to assemble and test for me. No problem! I hope you do it!!! :)

• Like 4