Photo

Just bought an 800xl - What is this mod?

800xl mod newbie

28 replies to this topic

#26 BuckoA51 OFFLINE  

BuckoA51

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts

Posted Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:41 AM

Interesting thanks, so it's definitely some kind of piracy enabling device? Is it any good to anyone? I'm thinking of just buying a broken 800XL for the case and transplanting the motherboard back into that.

#27 re-atari OFFLINE  

re-atari

Moonsweeper

• 387 posts

Posted Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:23 AM

Interesting thanks, so it's definitely some kind of piracy enabling device? Is it any good to anyone? I'm thinking of just buying a broken 800XL for the case and transplanting the motherboard back into that.

It's practical use will by now be moot. I'm sure there are A8 hardware hackers that would like to identify the 2 ground off chips, if only to find out how this thingy works. I have an eprom programmer that can test identify unknown TTL/CMOS IC's. If you plan to bin this PCB anyway, I could give it a go.

re-atari

#28 BuckoA51 OFFLINE  

BuckoA51

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts

Posted Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:37 AM

Ok sure I'll let you know once I'm done transplanting the motherboard.

#29 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• 6,232 posts

Posted Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:28 PM

looks like a developer rigging, no need for os replacement... we want to see it operate under the stock os... we still want to see it behave under cartridge and non cartridge environment as well as whether  project will run with or without os under ram.... depending on what configuration (prom/cart/tape/disk)  etc being tested coded saved for... saves time and effort ;)

Edited by _The Doctor__, Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:36 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 800xl, mod, newbie

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users