IGNORED

Pondering on purchasing a Playstation 4.

I just got my tax refund direct deposited and I am seriously thinking of making the decision of purchasing a console. And after some time of thinking and wasn't heavily interested for some time until now. I am debating and sort of leaning over the fence in purchasing a Playstation 4. Before I get to the debate and comments I searched for older threads in regards to this topic but haven't seen any listed. To any of you that own a Playstation 4. I have some questions about it and please help me out.

I am not much of an online gamer and old school in playing solo and someone alongside for multiplayer matches. I know that you can play physical discs without having to go online.

I only have internet on my smart phone but have nothing hooked up inside (don't have a notebook/PC/tablet). Do I have to do anything in regards to hooking it up online before I start gaming sessions? If I recall the slim version was just released this past September and I think the price tag is $270-$300. Is there a high failure rate or other hardware issues? Does it need constant updates?

Lastly the games. I think most of them are FPS, sports, and obviously 3D based. Is the library good enough to own one? Or shall I pass on it? I am not interested in the PS4 Pro which I guess has finer tuned graphics and capabilities. That is all I need to know. I know I waited nearly 3 and a half years since it's launch. Any insight is much appreciated.

• Like 1

I have a PS4 since almost launch. First on the hardware: no major issues.

The PS4 library is quite large now and pretty diverse. I never have trouble finding stuff to play. It's not all gritty 3D FPS. You can find many 2D games, unique indie games. I've mostly gamed on PCs and only owned 4 consoles in my life: Atari 2600, Atari Jaguar, Wii and PS4, and I can say the PS4 has easily had the best library and been the most fun.

There are periodic updates for for firmware and games to be downloaded. Firmware maybe twice a year max. Software, it depends on the game. You could connect it to your phone via wifi periodically to get the updates. Or take it to someone's house every so often who has unlimited data to get caught up. Unfortunately that is the state of software today on practically all devices.

And yes you only pay (PS Plus) for online gaming. If you don't play on online , you don't need PS+

The biggest factor in buying any console should be whether it has games that you want to play.

We finally got a PS4 at Christmas and I've found the library to be pretty disappointing so far. The system has been out for over 3 years and only has 10-15 exclusives that I really wanted to play. A Black Friday deal made it cheap enough for me to justify the console purchase, but after a month I was back to shopping for obscure PS3 games that I missed instead of buying anything for the PS4. The PS4 library is dominated by fps, sports, and endless sequels. zzz...

But, should add that I already had most of the quality PSN cross-buy indie games on PS3 or Vita. If you're new to the PSN ecosystem there would be a larger library to explore.

• Like 1

The biggest factor in buying any console should be whether it has games that you want to play.

We finally got a PS4 at Christmas and I've found the library to be pretty disappointing so far. The system has been out for over 3 years and only has 10-15 exclusives that I really wanted to play. A Black Friday deal made it cheap enough for me to justify the console purchase, but after a month I was back to shopping for obscure PS3 games that I missed instead of buying anything for the PS4. The PS4 library is dominated by fps, sports, and endless sequels. zzz...

But, should add that I already had most of the quality PSN cross-buy indie games on PS3 or Vita. If you're new to the PSN ecosystem there would be a larger library to explore.

that's the whole games industry in general, in the 90s there were so many different types of games, now all we have is racing sim's, sports and fps, with indie titles

FIFA 17 is basically 16 with a better graphics engine, Gran Turismo Sport will be GT6 with better graphics, etc, I miss stuff like Theme Hospital and Transport Tycoon

Edited by D.Daniels
  • Like 2

One other note... some of the mainstream PS4 games require a constant internet connection, even if you don't want to play online. Games like Destiny, Need for Speed, The Crew, etc. offer single player campaigns for people who don't have PS+ BUT the game still needs to connect to online servers even if you're playing single player. Some of the games store your stats and progress on their servers and others allow you to play in the online world and PS+ is only required if you want to interact with other players.

There are also a lot of PS4 games that are strictly online multiplayer... Overwatch, PvZ 2, Battleborn, Blacklight, etc. require internet and a PS+ subscription or you can't play the games at all.

I try to avoid any games that require constant internet connection. The servers can be shut down at any time and the game will never work again. $60 games with expiration dates... no thanks.

• Like 2

I know with the Xbox One you needed the internet originally for a required update, not sure about the PS4 though. You can download updates from your phone and transfer them to a USB flash drive and update the PS4 that way and worked fine for me.

I haven't had hardware failure, but I've ran into a couple annoying quirks. Sometimes the system will refuse to recognize the controller when coming out of rest mode. If this happens, you just need to power off the system. Kind of stinks if you're in the middle of a game and you haven't saved. Another quirk I had was my controller would randomly power off and wouldn't pair with the system unless you hooked it up with the USB cable. The controller has a reset button that seemed to have fixed this problem.

The system has a nice selection of games. A lot of the unique games though are on the PSN store. I haven't had any performance issues with any games except Earth Defense Force 4.1 when a ton of stuff is happening on screen. So you can expect most games to run without any issues.

That last part is key. I came to the PS4 without ever having owned a playstation before, so I was very happy with the library. But I can understand if you played some of these before, then it's less thrilling :)

, I miss stuff like Theme Hospital and Transport Tycoon

yeah these types of games are weak on PS4, although we did recently get Industry Giant 2, which seems like it's in the vein Transport Tycoon. I have no idea if it's any good. I hear rumors Cities: Skylines may come to PS4 eventually.

Although in general I think a mouse is best for these games, so that's why they mostly come to PC

yeah these types of games are weak on PS4, although we did recently get Industry Giant 2, which seems like it's in the vein Transport Tycoon. I have no idea if it's any good. I hear rumors Cities: Skylines may come to PS4 eventually.

Although in general I think a mouse is best for these games, so that's why they mostly come to PC

sorry I was referring to management games in general, your right PC's are the best for them, but I guess you could use the touch pad on the PS4 pad, even know it would be uncomfortable, or maybe hold a shoulder trigger and use the stick to drag

Edited by D.Daniels

I doubt my opinion will be popular, but I'd say no, not unless you can get one for about 1/2 the going rate unless and only if you really are strongly into the Sony made/2nd party made exclusives. The PS4 and One are so wishy washy in how similar they are, they both get the same games and much of those do appear on Steam/PC. You'd be better off going that route as it maybe more costly up front for the computer, it can do hundreds of more useful things and you won't have to also pay $50/yr to use online features. Also factor in Steam has sales weekly and steeper holiday sales where those expensive $60 games drop to $30 or less and the general prices tend to drop anyway faster too which compounds in the sales.

I'd find a console if you need one that has unique games or styles about it that would be a benefit to compliment what the PC(PS4/One) can already handle, again, only if you don't care much about Sony's personal IPs.

I have a PS4 and the games just never arrived I cared about much and their own stuff was weaker (though pretty eye candy) than the PS3 stuff I adored so I just dumped my games and use it as a movie box now.

• Like 2

It all comes down to the games that interest you. Do some research on the PS4 library and see if the games actually appeal to you.

As far as an internet connection, that could be a problem. The system may require an update out of the box and a lot of games in the modern day require day one patches and may refuse to function without them. Some aren't even finished and require you to download the rest after getting the disc (*cough* Tony Hawk 5).

• Like 1

I've had a game maybe two on PS4 that were buggy out of the box that needed an over a GB sized download patch before it would start since it sniffed out an internet connection. You may run into issues, but without a connection the games should work as they were pressed at least for better or worse.

• Like 1

It all comes down to the games that interest you. Do some research on the PS4 library and see if the games actually appeal to you.

As far as an internet connection, that could be a problem. The system may require an update out of the box and a lot of games in the modern day require day one patches and may refuse to function without them. Some aren't even finished and require you to download the rest after getting the disc (*cough* Tony Hawk 5).

reminded me of what guru larry said on his video, that any games collectors who collect TH5 are collecting a future drink's coaster if updates ever go offline in the years to come

Edited by D.Daniels

On my hierarchy of needs, I would get a laptop computer long before bothering with a game console ...but I can't put myself in your shoes, because I can't imagine living without constant connection to the internet. You're probably healthier than me.

The PS4 is well built and I haven't heard of systemic reliability issues. You can buy a service plan but it's probably more cost effective to only buy what you need.

There is a rich variety of games for this machine and you should be able to find fun things to play without needing to go online. It's not limited to the genres you cite, but your options expand a lot more if you go online and download indie games and retro remakes.

You can buy older games for next to nothing from Amazon and Gamefly.

That's gaming today though, you won't escape the 'patches' whether you are on PS4, XBox, Steam or mobile.

That's gaming today though, you won't escape the 'patches' whether you are on PS4, XBox, Steam or mobile.

The point is mandatory patches (implemented in a way where you won't be allowed to play the game without updating). That won't fly for someone who doesn't have internet access.

• Like 1

The point is mandatory patches (implemented in a way where you won't be allowed to play the game without updating). That won't fly for someone who doesn't have internet access.

I know that mandatory system updates were included on disc for the Wii, Wii U, PSP and probably other systems. Someone in an internet-free house might be happier with something other than PS4, otherwise you'll be loading the firmware update onto a USB drive and installing that way.

The PS4 doesn't have mandatory patches, except for online play.

They took into account that some players might not have internet connectivity. But some games ship broken and really need their patches

Internet access is a given nowadays. So is a high speed connection.

I don't think anyone's debating that. The reality is, the OP does not have internet access. Maybe he's thought about bringing a console to someone else's house for updating if needed, but he hasn't chimed in.