Photo

New power supplies for the ColecoVision?

262 replies to this topic

#201 HDTV1080P OFFLINE  

HDTV1080P

Dragonstomper

• 790 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:30 PM

A internal AC to DC power supply would have been ideal if it was originally part of the 1982 ColecoVision design. However I personally prefer a external power supply since it is so much easier for all ColecoVision owners to install. Many people do not want to internally modify their ColecoVision especially if it means drilling new holes in the case.    

Edited by HDTV1080P, Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:32 PM.

#202 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• 2,798 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:46 PM

A internal AC to DC power supply would have been ideal if it was originally part of the 1982 ColecoVision design. However I personally prefer a external power supply since it is so much easier for all ColecoVision owners to install. Many people do not want to internally modify their ColecoVision especially if it means drilling new holes in the case.    

Years ago this was the neatest solution for me and some others also desired this approach.  However, with these new USB pug in adapters on the horizon internal supplies now seem rather complex and overkill (but I still prefer them to the standard brick any day).

#203 EvilDragon17 OFFLINE  

EvilDragon17

Star Raider

• 82 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:31 PM

Okay, great, thanks for your opinions.

I've sent the PCB data to multiple production facilities to get the best price.

Once I know it, I'll setup the preorder page - and then we're off to go.

BTW: If you happen to visit the GamesCom in Cologne this year: I'll be there and have the adapter with me :)

#204 cybercylon ONLINE  

cybercylon

River Patroller

• 2,550 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:20 PM

Do it yourself is my opinion. Having some available through the Atariage store is worth thinking about. I am sure Albert can help with that and my guess is that they would sell.

#205 Zonie ONLINE  

Zonie

River Patroller

• 2,079 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:06 PM

SNIP... Now one could hardware an optional external on/off switch with 3 prong power cord outlet but then one would need to mount the power supply in a special case. If they would just make one a little bit more expensive with a built in on/off switch and AC power cord socket then that would be ideal.

They are industrial power supplies designed to mount in an enclosure with other components. That is why they are semi-open frame.
It wouldn't take much to mount it in a vented enclosure and put a switch on it...

#206 malarrya OFFLINE  

malarrya

Space Invader

• 23 posts

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:38 AM

Okay, great, thanks for your opinions.

I've sent the PCB data to multiple production facilities to get the best price.

Once I know it, I'll setup the preorder page - and then we're off to go.

BTW: If you happen to visit the GamesCom in Cologne this year: I'll be there and have the adapter with me :)

I am so looking forward to this adapter that I've been holding off getting any new ColecoVision games. I have about 40 games already but there's about another 10 that I would like. Is there some sort of waiting list or reserve page I can sign up with?

#207 bradhig1 OFFLINE  

bradhig1

Dragonstomper

• 793 posts

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:54 AM

I got one of those Germen ones off Ebay and it works fine.  UL approved as well.

#208 TheCurlyBard OFFLINE  

TheCurlyBard

Star Raider

• 72 posts

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:41 AM

So, wait, what the Roller Controller needs it's own power brick? The same one as the console?

#209 Greg2600 ONLINE  

Greg2600

River Patroller

• 3,029 posts

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:25 AM

The roller controller uses a daisy chain, so you plug the AC adapter into it's cable, and then that cable goes into the system.  This upcoming adapter though could probably still work on it.

https://www.dragonbo...c-adaptors.html

#210 TheCurlyBard OFFLINE  

TheCurlyBard

Star Raider

• 72 posts

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:02 PM

Ah got you, that's not so bad, I'm probably getting a roller soon but didn't realise it needed any kind of extra supply.

#211 HDTV1080P OFFLINE  

HDTV1080P

Dragonstomper

• 790 posts

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:09 PM

I got one of those Germen ones off Ebay and it works fine.  UL approved as well.

The advantage of the original UL listed ColecoVision power supply from Coleco is that there is no adapter plug involved since its built in. I see the one being sold in Germany uses a DIN style power supply that plugs into a custom made 4 pin adapter plug. While the power supply might be UL approved the adapter plug might not be. The advantage of the ColecoVision USB style power converter adapter that is scheduled to be released soon, is that one can use just about any brand and model of USB power supply including UL listed models. While the USB adapter plug power converter well not not be UL listed (UL is a optional saftey certification in the United States and is not required). The USB adapter plug power converter is suppose to have a official FCC approval which is required on all or most electronic devices imported to the USA or manufactured in the United States. Also the USB adapter plug power converter well be CE approved which is a safety certification for Europe.   

Edited by HDTV1080P, Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:27 PM.

#212 wongojack OFFLINE  

wongojack

River Patroller

• 3,123 posts

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:27 PM

Pre-Order?

#213 EvilDragon17 OFFLINE  

EvilDragon17

Star Raider

• 82 posts

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:50 PM

Pre-Order?

Soon. I'm waiting for the quotation from different companies.
BTW: we have the adapter running here at GamesCom exhibition since Tuesday from 9am to 8pm without a break.
Works perfect :D

#214 mianrtcv OFFLINE  

mianrtcv

Dragonstomper

• 546 posts

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:56 AM

Excellent!

#215 TheCurlyBard OFFLINE  

TheCurlyBard

Star Raider

• 72 posts

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:20 PM

Soon. I'm waiting for the quotation from different companies.
BTW: we have the adapter running here at GamesCom exhibition since Tuesday from 9am to 8pm without a break.
Works perfect :D

This is good news, I'm keen to find out a price for this! Will possibly order a few at a time if the price allows :)

#216 berighteous OFFLINE  

berighteous

Space Invader

• 14 posts

Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:10 AM

Any new news?

#217 EvilDragon17 OFFLINE  

EvilDragon17

Star Raider

• 82 posts

Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:20 AM

Was simply stuffed wirh work - planning to prepare the preorder
this week.

Sent from my Gemini 4G using Tapatalk

#218 berighteous OFFLINE  

berighteous

Space Invader

• 14 posts

Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:51 AM

awesome! 

#219 Spector OFFLINE  

Spector

Dragonstomper

• 666 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 8:41 AM

Shouldn't be too long now hopefully- I'm bumping the topic up to try and stop me from missing out on ordering one when it finally comes through. I've been looking forward to getting one for a while  :)

#220 EvilDragon17 OFFLINE  

EvilDragon17

Star Raider

• 82 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 12:43 PM

Nope, won't be too long and the production has already been started - so they will happen (just didn't find the time to put them on the website yet).

#221 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

River Patroller

• 2,387 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 10:03 PM

Nope, won't be too long and the production has already been started - so they will happen (just didn't find the time to put them on the website yet).

Can we get a link to the website? Thanks!

#222 Lil Alien OFFLINE  

Lil Alien

Space Invader

• 27 posts

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2018 6:40 PM

Can't wait! Still in for the 2 when ready!

#223 TheCurlyBard OFFLINE  

TheCurlyBard

Star Raider

• 72 posts

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2018 9:17 AM

Have we got a price yet?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

#224 EvilDragon17 OFFLINE  

EvilDragon17

Star Raider

• 82 posts

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2018 10:49 AM

Probably around 30 - 35 EUR.

#225 TheCurlyBard OFFLINE  

TheCurlyBard

Star Raider

• 72 posts

Posted Sun Oct 7, 2018 6:42 AM

Probably around 30 - 35 EUR.

That's cool, definelty affordable!

Will they be able to support the Roller?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users