IGNORED

Selling collection advice

vw57drvr

seems to me yourself and Shawn are getting kind of polarized here. Over-generalizing and exaggerating.

I'm pretty sure in reality both emulation AND classic hardware are becoming more popular, as retro-gaming has been getting more popular overall.

it's true all those forms of emulation you listed are selling a lot, but why ignore the fact that classic consoles & games are ALSO selling a lot more than before?

...rather than striving to assert that one is popular & the other isn't. ??

Sure, sales of classic game material is on the rise. Won't argue there.

I don't recall seeing any companies producing the classic hardware. Knockoffs and approximations through software emulation - those are a dime a dozen. But real classic hardware? No.

While I haven't compiled all the data for all the systems. What I put together so far tells me there is way more emulation out there than original classic hardware.

FPGA is usually worse as its a very closed echospehere tied to specific hardware

while you may be more impressed with the response of FPGA ... software vs plain software, its temporary effect, usually in communities that are not putting a bunch of effort in maintaining modern standards

if you are buying a specific box to emulate specific systems in specific configurations FPGA is the way to go, but in reality "near flawless" just about damn near everything emulation/simulation has been available on your OS of choice for 15 years now

and frankly I hate the word simulation when it comes to emulation, digital gates do not replicate analog circuits no matter how detailed they are, just add filters

You still need to be schooled up.

Traditional FPGAs like what are being used in today's replica consoles and MiST do not have any OS infrastructure. That is correct. Emulators written for FPGA are very narrow in scope and will most likely rely on the original developer for updates. And proponents of the MiST computer are quick to point out 20 something cores. More than half of them suck ass. True enough. Versatility of software emulators is really unparalleled. If anyone else doesn't know that, now you do.

The new FPGAs from Altera(owned by intel) have complete X86 or ARM cores built into the chip substrate. Or have their two dies interconnected like the PentiumPro with its cache die. Intel has gone as far as mixing in x86 SoC with the FPGA.

This gives the developer a complete ecosphere to work in. With rich libraries and real OS'es. This is where the sweet spot is. No one in the retrogaming community has registered that. They will, in time, though.

I am getting out of console collecting and going with emulation. I just can't store hardware anymore. I would rather sell the entire lot at once, even at a big loss.

I had a lot of shit like that early on. And even more later.

I found that by focusing on just a couple 2-3 systems you can enjoy those in much greater depth and detail, while picking up the rest though emulation and/or an all in one console of some kind.

If you're feeling burdened by all the stuff than this is definitely the way to go.

I got sick over the weekend, plus had to wire my a bedroom my son in law is building so I wasn't able to do much with my stuff. Luckily though, I found that a lot of my systems are in the basement beside the room being built. So maybe it will be a little easier to get pictures of.

Edited by vw57drvr
  • Like 2

haha.....well the attic filled up quick when we moved in. Plus, the attic doesn't seem like the best place to store vintage electronics. The new bedroom will be for my daughters baby. I still love video games, but we moved out in the country to a smaller house that just doesn't allow for displaying all of my stuff. These days I just want to grab the controller and play......without making a trip to the attic to find the system and cartridge. I know emulation doesnt get me 100% replacement, but its getting close.

OK. Being realistic - software emulation will never get you 100% of the way, that's right, but it will get you quite far and is improving all the time. Just now we're seeing some core-rewrites for Stella/VCS. And it looks to be the most accurate implementation ever. Catching a lot of corner cases and obscure roms.

Software emulation takes some setting up and tweaking. But it has the ability to run all your games in one box. 1 box, a mini-set-top-box. Or not even that, just your standard personal computer that can do double-duty for many other things.

For space savings and convenience there is no substitute for emulation. And it's here today.

Which leads me to FPGA. I'd have liked to recommend getting something there, you'd enjoy greater accuracy and more consistent timings. But that's about it. You don't get the support of a full-fledged OS like you do on a computer, updates are highly dependent on 1 person. Cores are often incomplete and don't "expand out" to cover everything. There are no extras. And computers aren't as well supported as in software emulation. And with FPGA you're back to accumulating hardware again.

Maybe in a couple of years I can begin recommending such systems, when they've got an integrated processor to run a feature-rich OS side-by-side the game. It's coming, slow but sure.

Edited by Keatah

Sure, sales of classic game material is on the rise. Won't argue there.

I don't recall seeing any companies producing the classic hardware. Knockoffs and approximations through software emulation - those are a dime a dozen. But real classic hardware? No.

While I haven't compiled all the data for all the systems. What I put together so far tells me there is way more emulation out there than original classic hardware.

fair enough. yeah, I think there is more emulation overall as far as what people are playing.

I didn't think the conversation was hinging on what has been getting produced lately though. I thought it was just about what people have been into lately, although now I do see the relevance. in the long run emulation will make up a large majority of what is available to people, even if that takes another 50 years.

The companies making flashbacks & etc. use emulation because it's far more cost effective & easier to produce. I think the reason it's getting made at all is due to the rise in popularity of the old systems, which are becoming more sought after. the production of all these emulation-based reproductions is also introducing new interest in the original systems as well. So I think the rising interest in each fuels interest in the other.

I just leave all my systems plugged in. Even when I was neck deep in stuff at one point I had 2 4port RCA switcher boxes going along with another 2-3 ports used on the back of the TV. I then had power strips for the various plugs, and the few that were big annoying boxes I'd put towards the end or I'd get a short extension cord for it alone just so it wouldn't hog 3 jacks. It worked out fine and it really didn't eat up much space since I had some shelves/cabinets around the TV area. It's the games and if you're an accessory hoarder that really gets you.

Sorry this is going so slow, but I stay extremely busy. I will try to do better. This is just a small bit of stuff that I was actually able to dig out. My daughter has the basement so full that I can hardly get to my stuff.

7800 games boxed:

1B90D4DA-4E12-4A0D-BF79-53FD7DBDBE81_zps

2600 Boxed:

D2AF5E16-4276-42BC-AA37-9C8DEB2BAACA_zps

Virtual Boys(need work):

23D614AA-31B4-4DC5-BD79-786BB75DB707_zps

R.O.B the robot(probably needs work):

1CED37CA-1154-49E8-BE34-3C0F01831F45_zps

Atari Force Comics:

74D690FC-2F34-4416-A1E5-F395269E4245_zps

FFXI never played. I have the HDD inside my PS2. Didnt use it either:

815C56A2-D6B0-428E-8C4E-02A0242E2923_zps

Edited by vw57drvr
  • Like 1

sad we have to let go ...

emulation has come a long way. Got me a retrode2 recently :the thouhgt of downloading roms was never a consideration.

I gotta say that after copying all my Genesis games I feel free! REAL roms! No more freaking out over people handling the cardboard boxes or throwing carts across the room.

oh, and yes more room in my closet soon.

BTW i will be waiting for your games list

• Like 1