IGNORED

Bargain Sales

True enough! Most people don't care what happens to other people's stuff. The only time they care is if it will benefit them directly. It's like the mass CRT exodus we had a couple of years back. The whole neighborhood and surrounding 2 towns seemed to have a clandestine meeting with the end result of everyone dumping their CRTs.

At the height of it I could've gone to the adjacent town and come back with a pickup full of CRTs. Did I? No. Why? Because I don't give a shit. Could I have cleaned, refurbed them, and sold them? Some of them, sure. Am I upset they threw them out. Not one iota.

Not any different than the trashings of all pre-Pentium III computers at e-recyclers.

IT IS WHAT IT IS!

Saying you're going to trash something *IS* usually read as a threat or more so a placing of guilt. It takes careful wording and attitude to make such a statement and not get a bad rap.

For the love of all that's holy there must be a shit ton of emotions that get wrapped up shopping for some people.

It's the same thing on ebay, with something sitting around at a high price of $200, when it should only be around $100. Shit can sit there for YEARS!! I know I'm watching a few items like so. Makes you mad doesn't it!

Just wondering... does that make you a "bottom feeder?" Hehe.

I was pretty clear on that in my first post on the subject. I've seen it on multiple occasions where a seller's stuff isn't selling so he throws a hissy fit and either trashes/destroys the stuff and posts about it or threatens to trash it if nobody gives him his asking price (which is usually overpriced). As I said in my initial post, the OP may be just trying to be humorous but "threat threads" or "I'm going to destroy or throw away if you don't buy" come off as very negative and offputting which is the cause for some of the reaction here.

But you said this just a few posts back:

To be clear, I have no problem with making a few bucks on stuff you want to get rid of even if you are going to toss it otherwise. I also have no problem with you tossing what you don't sell and I'm not saying you should give it away instead. That's an entirely different argument. Its just that putting the threat to trash it in your for sale ad comes off badly.

I can only assume then that it is not the elements of what he did that you have a problem with, just the delivery (eg. "hissy fit")? If that's correct, why get emotional over it? Just pass on it or throw out a bid for an even lower amount if you want it and that's all you are willing to spend. People can be kind of odd a lot of times. So long as they aren't stepping on anyone, just smirk, shake your head, and move on. I know what you mean about how it can come across... but it's just the way things go lots of times.

For the love of all that's holy there must be a shit ton of emotions that get wrapped up shopping for some people.

makes me wonder, cause after watching for YEARS I got what I wanted for 160$, and well dont meet your hero's, im selling it for 175, after I cleaned it all ... trying to break even, offering "free" shipping, some dildo decides its barely worth 100$ and im classified as bottom feeder?

listen I am not for the whole TAKE IT OR I AM GOING TO TRASH IT attitude, but yea ok a price is worth while, due to photographing it, posting it, packing it and etc, but on the other side smashing something you could hardly give away just to make a buck (whats that a half a candy bar?) in a local yard sale is petty, you spent more time and effort mucking about than just trashing some nasty ass microwave

which is why the op has a valid point, and K is just a effing moron like usual

I once had a couple of microwaves and maybe a vcr and tv or two. And it was a yard sale. And I had this great big sign saying last stop before the city dump.

Some prospective buyers came up at the last possible minute as I was cleaning up and asked if I'd reduce the price or give it away because it was the end of the day and hadn't sold. The stuff was at $5 or something already. I said no. And as they turned away I heard one of them say well let's just come back tomorrow on garbage day and get some freebies.

That infuriated me. And so I put the stuff out there, and bashed it up a little so it wasn't usable. Fuck them and the dump cart they rode in on.

We perceive situations vastly different. You seen opportunity for spite when they came back. I see opportunity to charge twice as much. Someone willing to drive all the way back and spend time and gas money is interested and it is just as spiteful to charge them double on the return visit :)

Eh.. they wouldn'a bought it anyways. They had trouble with $5 each item the first time. $10 on the second try? With the trash truck coming around the corner? Don't think so. So spite it is. Whatever it is.

And if it makes me feel good then I'm gonna feel damned good!

Edited by Keatah

There are. And the sad thing is they don't even know it. See it all the time.

Bottom feeder? Me? Ohh no. It's just putting things into perspective and trying to to get It isn't difficult to tell when things are overpriced "because apple".

To spend $200 on an interface card is not a big deal, if it is worth it and rare enough. Like there was this one Apple interface card I waited too long to bid on then forgot it. It was at $50. Hell of a steal. Later on it came up again at $190. Instant buy-it-now. So I took it. Learned my lesson. But have not regretted it. It has to have been the fastest execution I ever did on a buy-it-now. Haven't seen it since.

Another 3 years go by and I finally locate a manual, for song and dance. And the software too as part of a cheap bundle.

Next in my sights is a certain co-processor card, I've seen them move at $1,000+, the other day there was one for $250, but with no software or manuals. I figure $500-600 is a good price. On average 3-4 get posted every year so eventually one will come my way, maybe even at bottom-feeding price of less than $100. Nice to dream. Nicer to get.

The op can do what he wants, his attitude still makes him a dick...

Don't see you wading in to make an offer to rescue anything "for the community"

- easy to tell others what they should do...esp if it costs YOU nothing.

the city of Hypocritica can call off the elections for its new Mayor...i think you'll win in a landslide

Edited by Guest

No, I will not take part in any kind of threat sale. It would be hypocritical of me to buy/take anything from you, EVER...

it's not a threat sale. it's a sale.

only difference is i'm not hiding what will happen to my unsold stuff.

and anyway. please don't pretend that there's anything there you would've bought had the wording been different

you're probably right: one of us is being a dick - and it isn't me.

Edited by Guest

Brenski, the entire problem here is this. If you are going to toss it anyway why not just offer it for free? You should simply post a sale and if you get no buyers, then say pay me for shipping on this stuff AND rescue it from going to the dump.

It is a threat sale because you said buy it or I'm tossing it. You are threatening people that if they do not pay you for your items you are going to make sure they get destroyed in the dump. How do you view that as anything other than a threat?

If you are unwilling to ship people stuff you don't want for cost of shipping and would rather just take it to the dump that is your decision but a decision people will frown on especially when the stuff you are dumping is specific to an audience you KNOW would rather it not be destroyed.

Brenski, the entire problem here is this. If you are going to toss it anyway why not just offer it for free? You should simply post a sale and if you get no buyers, then say pay me for shipping on this stuff AND rescue it from going to the dump.

It is a threat sale because you said buy it or I'm tossing it. You are threatening people that if they do not pay you for your items you are going to make sure they get destroyed in the dump. How do you view that as anything other than a threat?

If you are unwilling to ship people stuff you don't want for cost of shipping and would rather just take it to the dump that is your decision but a decision people will frown on especially when the stuff you are dumping is specific to an audience you KNOW would rather it not be destroyed.

look at the people replying to the thread - all USA-based.

I'm in the UK. shipping isn't cheap.

again. i'll say this. if "the community" is set against it being destroyed, why isn't the "community" banding together to save it? far too much gainsaying, and bad-mouthing - but no actions to back it up - which would suggest that "the community" couldn't care less.

incidentally, as many people have backed my choice as those that have disagreed with it - so the gainsayers aren't necessarily right are they? just shouting loudest.

Edited by Guest

If he offered it for free he'd be setting a precedent.

again. i'll say this. if "the community" is set against it being destroyed, why isn't the "community" banding together to save it? far too much gainsaying, and bad-mouthing - but no actions to back it up - which would suggest that "the community" couldn't care less.

incidentally, as many people have backed my choice as those that have disagreed with it - so the gainsayers aren't necessarily right are they? just shouting loudest.

I guarantee you the community doesn't give a rat's ass.

If he offered it for free he'd be setting a precedent.

and everybody would refuse to buy anything, hoping that a no-sale = pay shipping only

these self-righteous "Communitarians" would be the first to complain if someone demanded that they offer their stuff for free

Edited by Guest

look at the people replying to the thread - all USA-based.

I'm in the UK. shipping isn't cheap.

I find it VERY hard to believe this is the ONLY place you listed these for sale. Just as someone posted earlier there are outlets for you to attract local buyers. People do this stuff al the time. Post something for sale FIRST and whatever does not sell, then they post an ad "pick-up FREE", garbage comes Thursday get it before they do.

Me personally I say take it to the dump. Some stuff has no value to me and this falls in that category. I however would give people the option to take it for free before I trashed it though.

I find it VERY hard to believe this is the ONLY place you listed these for sale. Just as someone posted earlier there are outlets for you to attract local buyers. People do this stuff al the time. Post something for sale FIRST and whatever does not sell, then they post an ad "pick-up FREE", garbage comes Thursday get it before they do.

Me personally I say take it to the dump. Some stuff has no value to me and this falls in that category. I however would give people the option to take it for free before I trashed it though.

you're missed the point again.

where do you think the strikethroughs (sales) have materialised from?

of course i advertised locally, that's where the items have sold. i NEVER suggested that this was the only place i advertised, so i don't know where you get your "disbelief" from.

but i'm not a registered charity, so it's definitely sell-by-friday, or "The Lone Ranger", theme tune:

to the dump, to the dump, to the dump-dump-dump

to the dummmmmp

the dump-dump-dump

Edited by Guest

Guys... c'mon really. If something about someone's "sale ad" bothers or annoys you, the simple thing to do is just ignore it. Vote with your wallet. Don't worry about if someone else isn't bothered about it the same way you are, or are but are willing to buy anyway, and then put yourself on a mission to intervene. As long as there's no fraud or wrongdoing, live and let live. Otherwise, it ends up with people making personal attacks like calling them morons, idiots, etc. And that is I think far worse than any cheesiness that might be in a sale offering. Isn't it?

Edited by fujidude

There are. And the sad thing is they don't even know it. See it all the time.

Bottom feeder? Me? Ohh no. It's just putting things into perspective and trying to to get It isn't difficult to tell when things are overpriced "because apple".

I certainly wasn't calling you a bottom feeder. I was just ribbing you a little after reading one of your previous posts about what behavior defines one as a bottom feeder.