IGNORED

Season 6 - The New HSC - Weeks 5/6 = Arcade Space Shooters

S.BAZ

Great game selections for this round! I've always loved Galaxian and feel like I can play it pretty competently, Asteroids is just an absolute classic (though I had never played Game 4 before and was really surprised by how difficult it was), and Gyruss was completely new to me. I had played the arcade version of Gyruss a little bit in the past but this week was a first time I had experienced the Atari 2600 version, and I have to say it's a pretty impressive port. It's kinda like a cross between Tempest and Galaga, and I had a lot of fun with it. :)

Galaxian (Default Settings, Difficulty B/B): 73,110

1I8eF2J.jpg

Asteroids (Game 4, Difficulty A/A): 44,980

0SW5vwL.jpg

Gyruss (Default Settings, Difficulty B/B): 144,100

PTrLMJT.jpg

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

I got frustrated with Asteroids yesterday so I put in Kaboom! and played that for awhile the first time this week.

Asteroids 4 AA - 19,410

I know exactly what you mean, I was swearing up a storm when I tried Asteroids yesterday. :lol: I must have played at least two dozen games of it and could rarely ever score over 10,000 until I had one seemingly miraculous game where I somehow managed to score 44,980. I still have no idea how it happened but at that point I was just like "Yep, I'll take it."

On a side note, it's a shame we can't use auto-fire controllers for the high score club because Gyruss needs one in the worst kind of way. I put some serious milage on my CX-78 joypad's fire buttons with that game!

• Like 1

Asteroids (4AA): 34,760

Galaxian: 23,240

Gyruss: 123,200

Fun games. Wish I had more time... The Gyruss score is a far cry from my personal best (about 316k), but I still don't have the cart - it's pretty rare over here, and I can't find one at a reasonable price... Emulating is fine, but I don't have my USB joystick adapter at hand at the moment. So this was done with cursor controls, which is really awkward. Love the music. So meditative :-).

post-34656-0-92918100-1488036382_thumb.jpg

post-34656-0-26989500-1488036394_thumb.jpg

post-34656-0-10555700-1488036404_thumb.png

Galaxian - 10,200

Asteroids - 12,480

Probably gonna play these two this week and Gyruss next week.

It's hard to get to the difficulty switches where the Jr. is now (see pic). So, I'll play the A difficulty this week and the B difficulty next week.

Do the difficulty switches have any affect in Gyruss?

Asteroids 18,xxx

Had to go make lunch for my kids & when I got back down to the gameroom my score had disappeared but it WAS 18K something.

EDIT: I was texting a friend as I was playing (not doing both of course) & I told him my score

Edited by RJ