IGNORED

Bootstrapping Atari DOS over Cassette?

Simba7

Is there a way to create an Atari DOS disk through the Atari 1010? All of my Apple II, Atari, and C64 disks were destroyed awhile ago and I'm working on rebuilding.

Kind of like reading sectors from cassette (aka. a portable media player via cassette adapter) and directly writing them to the floppy drive.

Hmm.. I'm sure with a little work you could make a DOS cassette, then make a new DOS disk. I don't know that anyone has ever had that need before.

After playing with ADTPro, which can handle transfers from Serial, Cassette, or Network on an Apple II, it made me wonder if it was possible with the Atari.

I have all my gear, but the filer with all my disks I had since High School was destroyed when my grandpa passed. It's not easy bare-metal bootstrapping an Atari as it is an Apple IIGS.

To do this, you need two pieces of software

1) A Disk operating system that can be booted from cassette. There are some. Such as TT-DOS. You can use XEX2CAS and A8CAS or Turgen System to transfer it with cassette adapter.

2) A sector copier that allows input from cassette. Perhaps some exists, I don't know.

But the best way is to get rid of cassette and buy a disk drive replacement device as suggested above. It is affordable, reliable, and fast.

And also allows you to download software from internet sites and transfer to the real floppy disks.

Edited by baktra

Is there a way to create an Atari DOS disk through the Atari 1010? All of my Apple II, Atari, and C64 disks were destroyed awhile ago and I'm working on rebuilding.

Kind of like reading sectors from cassette (aka. a portable media player via cassette adapter) and directly writing them to the floppy drive.

I might be able to send you some dos disks. PM me

• Like 1

You don't need a full blown DOS tape. All you need is a small program that would boot from tape and write the raw sectors to the disk. Sounds ALMOST trivial as long as the DOS image is small enough to fit in a single pass bootable tape.

You could make this under emulation. Create a WAV file, and record your own tape.

But agree, getting some disks by plain snail mail, even when not that sexy, sounds much easier unless you are currently at the space station :)

Edited by ijor
  • Like 1

This seems like the easiest solution to me.

Sounds good to me. I have a few hundred blank 5.25" DSDD disks on hand that I bought from eBay (https://tinyurl.com/z3sh9yb). Just need to get them formatted and usable. :)

I'd like to find a disk notcher, but what they're asking for is ridiculous.

As for what "ijor" said, that is exactly what I was looking for. You don't even have to have an actual cassette on hand, just the cassette adapter and hook that to a computer's audio output.

Edited by Simba7

Cheap paper punch works for this. Not as clean as a disk notcher, but we used them for many disks back in the day :)

Absolutely. Make a template or use an old disk to align and punch away! But punch needs to be sturdy, though. Some of the new cheapies will bend when trying to go through two layers of the jacket.

-Larry

• Like 1

Our old users group had a cassette rescue listing that let you load dos from a listed format on the cassette... the whole concept was.... if you forgot to boot from a drive and had done a fair amount of typing (from a magazine or some other such project) you could use the enter command to get dos off the cassette and not wipe out your hours of labor... and then turn on you disk drive and save your work........ a much better idea than saving to cassette which might not be reliable or worse yet... take forever to do...

I was thinking something along a lines of a self-extracting sparse disk image. You boot it from cassette and it would write selected sectors to a floppy disk.

Sparse image because loading 90 KB from cassette is unimaginable.

Can someone identify sectors occupied by vanilla DOS 2.5 installed on a freshly formatted floppy disk? Maybe it is inside the dir2atr utility.

All I an say about this is that it will be a labour love, a painful long long long one though..I like you lost all my stuff when family passed, my mother in my case and its an unfriendly task trying to even partially recreate it all.

I wish you every success Simba and hope someone can help with the 'sector' type reading software, it seems crucial to the whole deal...

Paul.

Edited by Mclaneinc

all you have is a 1010 and an Atari floppy drive. And a PC with internet conection. Right?

How are you going to get the DOS/DUP data to your 1010 tape?

I suggest a SIO2PC or APE PC serial or USB to SIO adapter, such as the one

from Steve Tucker's APE site.

There are instructions to make a SIO2PC adapter, fairly easy and cheap.

Once you have the adapter and cables, you can make your PC into an

Atari hard drive and read/write to your real floppy. You can even use

DUP.SYS or SpartaDOS with APE/SIO2PC to format a real floppy and

write DOS/DUP to the real floppy.

And you can find lots of Atari games/etc online and write them to your floppy.

Edited by russg

all you have is a 1010 and an Atari floppy drive. And a PC with internet conection. Right?

How are you going to get the DOS/DUP data to your 1010 tape?

I was thinking of a cassette tape adapter to the PC's audio output port.

51xadE%2BiqHL._SX300_.jpg

As for the SIO2PC adapter, I have one on order from Lotharek via eBay. I also have an FTDI USB adapter coming as well.

Edited by Simba7

I thought I made one years ago and posted it here but can't find it.

I just tried to create another one by using a memory dump from an already loaded Dos + Dup. But it just doesn't want to work.

Such a thing would be useful for emergency situations, though you can only create formatted disks with DOS but not DUP.

But it would be easy enough to just use a copy program to do DUP in a seperate operation (note DOS 2.x won't copy from tape).

Using tape adaptors like that is pretty common but probably better to use something like an old phone rather than the PC - any inadvertant OS generated sounds cause read errors on the Atari.

Edited by Rybags

Xdos2.4 from Stephan Dorndorf can be loaded as an Xex. So you have to convert that xex2cas and then cas2wav and then boot it. Done.

Then you could format and init those disks with that excellent dos 2.5 compatible dos.

If you want to write entire disks from tape to disk... that is possible but then you have to skip the idea of real tape since there is probably not enough space on the tape....

• Like 1

DISKINV @ $E453 & SIOV @ $E459 are built in and fairly easy to use. I would suggest a program to issue a sio command format single density<$22?> then write the ~10k of boot sectors/DOS and directory would be 'a way' as opposed to 'best way' for it. Should be able to do it in a 10 line BASIC contest even using an emulator.

If you want to write entire disks from tape to disk... that is possible but then you have to skip the idea of real tape since there is probably not enough space on the tape....

Not that I am suggesting to do this in this case. But oh, well, some games were recorded on both sides, or on two tapes. Zorro and Kennedy Approach comes to mind ...

offtopic...

How about loading DOS from cart ? There is not only SDX, but there are also SpartaDOS 3.x, MyDOS 4.5x and a few other DOS versions available on cart. (e.g. from Video61 and other sources)...

back on topic...

If you use a real tape (not a WAV), you can simply load a tape-bootloader (e.g. BLC, COS, many others) and then load a DOS in XEX format - but you must either already have the tape-bootloader, a copy-program and the DOS in XEX format on tape -or- find a way to transfer these programs onto tape.

Happy DOS II+D (version 4.5 from Happy Computer magazine) comes as a Basic file, you can type it in if you like (or find another solution e.g. via emulator) and then CSAVE it. Next, use CLOAD and when finished RUN the Basic program and it will create the DOS on diskette for you. But I guess, that the disk therefore must already be formatted...

Attached: HapDOS45.zip: DOS II+D V4.5 (Basic program creates the DOS)

HapDOS61.zip: DOS II+D V6.1 (XEX file)

XDOS24.zip: XDOS V2.4 (XEX file)

The format commands for V4.5 are: FS# (90k), FD# (130k);

the format commands for V6.1 are: FS# (90k), FM# (130k) and FD# (180k)

XDOS is a newer version from the same author (S.Dorndorf)...

Nevertheless, everything is much easier if someone sends you a DOS diskette... ;-)

HAPDOS45.zip

HapDOS61.zip

XDOS24.zip

• Like 1