IGNORED

Rejuvenation

Opry99er

I overpaid in taxes this year by a bit... Anyway, I have a little extra to spend on hobby stuff, and I am going to use it to get my TI setup operational and enhancing the system so I can enjoy it again.

I want to buy a Lotharek to replace my flaky 5.25 drive and I want to get an external 5.25 that I can plug in for duplicating disks.

I also need to get supplies for another tape release.

A few questions:

1) Is the Lotharek really superior to the Gotek? I am aware of the need for purchasing software for the GoTek, but even at that, it would be less expensive than the Lotharek.

2) Are there any external 5.25 drives out there that are preferable to others on our system? Any of them readily available?

3) Does anyone have a line on inexpensive 5.25" diskettes?

Thanks!

• Like 1

All nice questions :)

me too interested in these answers :P i am deciding among Lotharek and gotek too also if i love more the lotharek because i used it already but i need to purchase others 2 of them. someone I know use the Gotek but with the Lotharek firmware into it.

just display and USB change... The problem is that a lotharek cost about $35, the lotarek firmare for gotek cost $10 about... adding shipping costs i think we arrive to $60 each and need also time to understand how do this work...

maybe someone already done and can suggest ? if the price is not so cheaper than the lotharek costs i think will prefer the lotharek anyway.

Hi Opry,

nice to hear.

The Lotharek (I have 3 of them) is like plug and play, Gotek is ähhh ... I don´t know..... (there are some threads here around)

But if you are able to do such small soldering and tinkering jobs, maybe Gotek is a good choice.

Floppy drives are not the cheapest (here in Germany), but sure with a bit luck no problem on your site
TI-99-4A-FLOPPY-DRIVES-TI-99-v1.12-ALL.pdf

For the floppies, I never take cheap ones, I had too many problems.

At least, I wouldn´t use them for my one-and-only backups, so far.

And good quality/brand floppies are available, just some cents more, I think

xXx

Thank you Ralf!!

The floppies are for duplication of my games... I am planning on reworking my old XB games and re-releasing them with nice packaging on 5.25" floppy.

I have made a few changes to each game to bring them up to date and improve a few game mechanics.

The Lotharek is going to pair with my HDX for easy transfers and duplication.

From all I have been reading, the Lotharek is worth the extra $40 over the GoTek.

• Like 1

Also the Lotharek will let you emulate DSk1 and DSK2 at the same time just a jumper setting. Then you new drive can be DSK3, which the 5.25 are also controlled by a jumper, so you would be able to use a straight cable if you were to hook up a lotharek and a 5.25 1/2 height in your PEB...

• Like 1

you can't test voltages and solder, get the lotherek :) also im sending you a console this weekend finally

Greg

Hey!! I bought a multimeter and a soldering iron!!! That makes me an expert, right?? :)

Lotharek, it will likely be.

Thank you for your help, Greg... Many times over. :)

• Like 2

I want to use one of my 3.5 drives as DSK3.

The goal is: Lotharek as DSK1, 5.25" as DSK2, 3.5" as DSK3. Not sure how to make all thst work with wires though, since 1 and 2 will be internal, 3 will be external.

Currently I have a 5.25 full height as DSK1, while the 3.5" DSK2 and DSK 3 are daisy chained in a box with a card edge connector.

Researching now...

I'm in the same boat re: rejuvenation. This year I'm taking the plunge with all the "new" system items: purchased f18a, vga monitor, flashrom 99 w/ case, jedimatt 32k, standalone homebrew game and going to get a digital floppy drive as well (agree that extra $40 over gotek is worth it. I'm not as fortunate with the tax return so I'll be funding my rejuvenation by selling items with more "collector" value. NOS MBX and Alphacom printers with TI-99/4a interface on eBay now. Hexbus items will be listed in the next week or so. Cool stuff to own and appreciate, but you guys developing this new stuff are starting to get expensive!! ;)

• Like 3

I'm in the same boat re: rejuvenation. This year I'm taking the plunge with all the "new" system items: purchased f18a, vga monitor, flashrom 99 w/ case, jedimatt 32k, standalone homebrew game and going to get a digital floppy drive as well

I'm curious, with the configuration you listed, what are you planning on using as the HxC's controller?

Yes the prices can add up, BUT consider how many of those new items we can all buy for less than the asking price of just one of those old rare legacy items.

@ciro: yes, I'll try to scan to TI-99 documentation for the Alphacom this weekend so you have it for your website.

@omega: I have a PE Box with a Corcomp DSDD FDC. 32k standalone is going to allow greater portability. Probably end up with two systems...haven't figured that out yet. And yes, that MBX is the one I listed.

@schmitzi: as you can understand, I can't offer free shipping and open that internationally. However, if you wanted to pay for the shipping costs to Germany, I'd be willing to work with you should you win the auction.

Thanks to all.

• Like 1

@omega: I have a PE Box with a Corcomp DSDD FDC. 32k standalone is going to allow greater portability. Probably end up with two systems...haven't figured that out yet. And yes, that MBX is the one I listed.

Ahhh okay, now it's making sense... two systems. You would not be the first one of us to go that route. :) I have also have a main and portable system. I know other people like Greg who have three systems hooked up.

Ahhh okay, now it's making sense... two systems. You would not be the first one of us to go that route. :) I have also have a main and portable system. I know other people like Greg who have three systems hooked up.

four :D i have one at my warehouse too for testing boards etc.. that one is fugly tho

• Like 1

My Lotharek is almost here. Hopefully tomorrow!

I bought an empty NIB PEB from a local seller on eBay. He was a developer back in the heyday and bought an extra in case his went bad. It was great not to pay shipping.

I only had a cassette recorder as a kid, so I'm excited to finally get to use disk-based software.

• Like 3