IGNORED

Getting back into collecting again

Hey guys! After having a 6 year break I'm finally getting back into collecting games again. Just something about it excites me! I remember having lots of cool games....complete, loose, rare. I lost some in the flood in 2009 and also just sold a bunch of stuff off but now I have my own house and I want to fill it full of gaming goodness! Just something about video games and the history absolutely love. Nothing like getting an absolute mint game that's 35 years old lol. Anyways I will be browsing the marketplace forums to help slowly build my Powerhouse collection again. It's my passion :)

• Like 1

Third warning is the charm. If you were thinking about the NES, SNES, (CIB) Genesis, (CIB) Master System, Sega CD, Turbo Grafx16/Duo/PCE/SG (anything NEC), Neo Geo AES or NGPC complete and various MVS, some N64, some Gamecube...just don't. Nintendo by far around is along with NEC stuff the worst.

Get a system and an everdrive, or find a nice android or PC emulator and a stack of roms because unless you're pulling down a good salary or you're a drug dealer forget it. Scalping and flipping have hit such heights it's not worth the effort anymore unless you're more attached to stickers, paper, plastic and cardboard than the games themselves.

• Like 1

Having recently returned from a similar hiatus to collecting in earnest, I have to agree that prices have, shall we say, outpaced inflation.

I remember not having any interest in Amiga CD32 systems when they were plentiful on eBay for an unthinkable $50. If I had only known, I would have bought them all and cornered the market. I'm happy to say that I got most of my desirable systems before this era of hyperinflation-- and I get some twisted pleasure about the value of my collection skyrocketing (though I'll never sell)-- but I really wish that prices weren't so crazy. I just want more gear...

Sooooo, will prices ever come back down? Do we want them too? Is retrogaming in mainstream culture a fad or is this going to be the way going forward?

Edited by RampantOctopus
  • Like 1

Sooooo, will prices ever come back down? Do we want them too? Is retrogaming in mainstream culture a fad or is this going to be the way going forward?

It's a fad. Bit it'll be a long-running fad.

The twenty-somethings of today seem to be far less interested in collecting physical goods (as evidenced by slowly declining physical sales vs. increasing digital.) I'm inclined to think when the current/last generation systems age fully into retro, prices will come down due to lack of interest.

Either that or they'll spike AGAIN due to lack of supply, and physical media will make a resurgence as people realize they traded their right to own a thing for convenience acquiring it. By then the stuff we play now will probably be cheap to due lack of interest in such primitive games, and how much of it may not work anymore.

• 7 months later...

Well a bit of an update. I am collecting for pre-NES and I have found some good Atari/Intellivision/Coleco stuff at reasonable prices! It's fun to see the games and manuals and box art as well,of course, to play the games! I've run across a few NES+ era games at good prices, so there are still deals out there!!! Just don't 100% rely on ebay to build your gaming collection! I am having way more fun this time around while not breaking the bank :) The only issue that scares me the is Nintendo/ Sega era games can be pirated more than ever and I worry about getting a fake game whether from ebay or gamestop. I tend to trust everyone on here at the marketplace or friend/co workers that want to sell their older stuff. But other than that, so far it's been great!

Edited by Breakpack
  • Like 2

I also couldn't imagine rebuilding the collection I had up to the 1990's. It'd be enourmous in terms of time, space, cost, and frustration at trying to get items of good quality.

Not sure I'd want to, because the old adage of less is more applies here, now, more than ever.

Edited by Keatah

Well a bit of an update. I am collecting for pre-NES and I have found some good Atari/Intellivision/Coleco stuff at reasonable prices! It's fun to see the games and manuals and box art as well,of course, to play the games! I've run across a few NES+ era games at good prices, so there are still deals out there!!! Just don't 100% rely on ebay to build your gaming collection! I am having way more fun this time around while not breaking the bank :) The only issue that scares me the is Nintendo/ Sega era games can be pirated more than ever and I worry about getting a fake game whether from ebay or gamestop. I tend to trust everyone on here at the marketplace or friend/co workers that want to sell their older stuff. But other than that, so far it's been great!

As far as piracy goes- never buy a retro game from Gamestop online. it has been thoroughly demonstrated that there's no real quality control going on there.

For Ebay, just keep a good eye on seller feedback & make sure you know what a real game should look like. If I'm not super familiar with a title, I'll sometimes switch up the results & check the most expensive items first, since those are more likely to be better authenticated & you can see what you need to look for. Pick up a set of gamebits so you can open up carts & check the boards themselves for weirdness (and for easier cleaning.)

Lastly- never buy a Pokémon cart online, period. And check them carefully when you find them in person.

I'm going to side with Keatah there. Find a past system or two, or a system and a handheld and just do that and that alone. From there if you are that hard up, if you must have hardware invest in an everdrive and an appropriately large SD or microSD card so you can fit what are called the 'smokemonster' packages of ROMs for that system. Regularly updated they have every licensed and unlicensed game from each region but far more. Hacks, translations, protos, betas, homebrews, and much more all in tidy nice directories to help with sorting and finding. I've got a set of that for the SNES Everdrive and another for the Everdrive GB and they're life savers.

For me I just bother with old school Gameboy/Color/Advance and that's about it anymore and then Switch/3DS for the modern with the occasional fun buy for my computer. Saves a lot of money and less crap to sort through. The rest is self control. I'll buy stuff if it's something on a stupid to ignore deal but they're so few and far between it's not an issue. Just stay away from the rampant hunting, collecting, and losing heaps of cash on stupid crap you won't use piling up a heap of once to try and never to get around to play releases and you'll be better off.

Yes all that. I keep forgetting to mention everdrives as a solution. But that's because my collection doesn't do them unless one wants to count the CFFA3000 for the Apple II as an everdrive; in the generic sense of the term.

I want to add that with digital hoarding, the "disease" and its effects can be hidden and masked very well. A shoebox is big enough to hold several HDD and a pile of SD cards. So you never have to fear sprawling everything everywhere.

---

Back in the day me and my buddies would dream up "cool tech" stuff. And one of them was a crystal card inside a cartridge that would hold all our games, hundreds, thousands. And what do we have today?

• Like 1