IGNORED

WANTED: Feedback for Combat 1990

Dauber

I'm looking for feedback for episode 7 of the Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast (you can find it on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/homebrew78 )

What are your thoughts on COMBAT 1990 on the 7800?

You can also e-mail text or audio to homebrew78 -at- fab4it -dot- com

Deadline is, kinda-sorta, 5:59am CST on Thursday, March 23. Any comments from after then will be addressed in a later episode.

PLEASE NOTE: In doing some searching, I did see a lot of (understandable) flak about Combat 1990. HOWEVER -- please consider that Combat 1990 was (from what I can tell) one of the very first 7800 homebrew games built from scratch, and on top of that, it was done specifically for a contest and ergo there was a tight deadline (and the winner of the contest was actually a hack of an already-existing game). So please take that into consideration when sharing your opinions.

Never played it and there doesn't seem to be a YouTube vid showing gameplay, but looks (obviously) to be a slightly more updated version of 2600 Combat. Shields to drain vs. the one hit formula looks interesting. And a single-player mode is definitely a welcome addition! I'm not wild about the 2600 graphics carryover and choice/use of trippy colors though.

On the Youtube video, the creator used to be a bit funny about people sharing ROMs or making videos of it. Not sure if he cares now but I do remember that from before.

The guy who made it also made the 7800 monitor cart, if I remember correctly.

Edited by DracIsBack

where can you find the rom? the reasons why i ask, is because i own the 7800/2600 monitor cart. i was involved in the release of the cartridge, the very first homebrew ever. harry and i are close friends, and we have worked together on and off for well over two decades, heading towards three decades. i also own all of harrys atari work. i have always paid harry the royalties that are due to him, i never miss. so if there is someone out there who is cheating harry of his just do. i would welcome help in knowing who they are.

thanks,

lance

www.atarisales.com

• Like 1

where can you find the rom? the reasons why i ask, is because i own the 7800/2600 monitor cart. i was involved in the release of the cartridge, the very first homebrew ever. harry and i are close friends, and we have worked together on and off for well over two decades, heading towards three decades. i also own all of harrys atari work. i have always paid harry the royalties that are due to him, i never miss. so if there is someone out there who is cheating harry of his just do. i would welcome help in knowing who they are.

thanks,

lance

www.atarisales.com

I would try google. j/k.. do you have the game for sale and how much?? Looks like fun.

thanks for the heads up, i will check it out. i have a few combat 1990's in stock yet. if you are interested, please e-mail me at video61@tcq.net i will fill you in on pricing, shipping, etc. yes harry and his wife are very good friends of mine, and very nice people. our granddaughters share the same first name.

lance

www.atarisales.com

• Like 1

I haven't played it, but I like that you can do one player and go in reverse. Bonus points for being the earliest 7800 homebrew.

From the gameplay video (above) I'm assuming there is no sound other than shooting and explosions, and only one landscape choice (correct me if I'm wrong). These additions could add replay value.

I've never played this game either, however you have peeked my interest and I have ordered a copy (Dauber Effect?). Sadly, I won't be able to review it before the deadline.

Thanks for providing us with "The" Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast. :thumbsup:

Okay, the episode is all prepped and ready for release. When I was putting the show notes together, I saw that copies of Combat 1990 are now on backorder! So those of you who may have contributed to the backorder as a result of this podcast...thank you! I kinda hoped the "Ferg Effect" would happen. :) Glad to see homebrew developers getting some support!