Best hex / file editor for TI program files

8 replies to this topic

#1 aftyde OFFLINE  

aftyde

Chopper Commander

• 154 posts

Posted Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:57 AM

Hi All,

Figured I'd try and hack BA-WRITER to run from HDX1.BAW and have been searching for a decent file hex editor.  Any simple favorites you can recommend?

Cheers, Arthur...

#2 Lee Stewart OFFLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,053 posts

Posted Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:04 PM

Hi All,

Figured I'd try and hack BA-WRITER to run from HDX1.BAW and have been searching for a decent file hex editor.  Any simple favorites you can recommend?

Cheers, Arthur...

For the TI or the PC?

...lee

#3 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 9,483 posts
  • Location:Virgo Supercluster, Gould Belt in the Orion arm of Milky Way galaxy.

Posted Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:29 PM

For the TI or the PC?

...lee

I usually use WinHex on my FIAD format programs.  Ti files are so small you don't even need to register, of course if you use it on larger PC sized files you'll need to buy it.

Attached Files

#4 aftyde OFFLINE  

aftyde

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 154 posts

Posted Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:13 PM

Perfect!  :)

I usually use WinHex on my FIAD format programs.  Ti files are so small you don't even need to register, of course if you use it on larger PC sized files you'll need to buy it.

#5 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 2,185 posts

Posted Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:18 PM

I added a sector editor to my TIImageTool; you can edit sectors on any kind of image (dsk, pc99, MAME hard disk, HFE).

#6 Lee Stewart OFFLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,053 posts

Posted Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:42 PM

Perfect!   :)

So, I guess this means you want a PC hex editor.  I use HxD, which is freeware available here.  I used it constantly for quite awhile for patching together my fbForth 2.0 cartridge binaries until I figured out a way to cut back on the number of labels I was using—Asm994a chokes on more than 2850 or so.  HxD is very useful for a free hex editor.

...lee

#7 aftyde OFFLINE  

aftyde

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 154 posts

Posted Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:06 PM

Well - one that works on the TI is also of strong interest...  :)

So, I guess this means you want a PC hex editor.  I use HxD, which is freeware available here.  I used it constantly for quite awhile for patching together my fbForth 2.0 cartridge binaries until I figured out a way to cut back on the number of labels I was using—Asm994a chokes on more than 2850 or so.  HxD is very useful for a free hex editor.

...lee

#8 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 2,185 posts

Posted Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:27 PM

My favorite sector editor was HIGGS. I don't know whether this is its real name, at least it consists of three E/A5 files (HIGGS,-T,-U) and has a start screen "DISK MASTER".

#9 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,483 posts

Posted Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:19 PM

For the TI, I like John Birdwell's Disk Utilities (disk manager + disk utilities).  It has sector editing ability for both files and disks.

Funnwelweb's Disk Review has sector editing ability.

Randy Moore did a nice sector editor called Sector One that has both a TI and Geneve version.   FED (File Editor) for the Geneve edits individual files.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users