IDE Plus 2.0 Still Available?

ide plus ide+ ide plus 2.0

4 replies to this topic

#1 TangentAudio OFFLINE  

TangentAudio

Chopper Commander

• 218 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:03 AM

Curious if anyone is still producing the IDE Plus 2.0 for sale, or if anyone has one they don't use anymore and would like to sell?

#2 Marius ONLINE  

Marius

River Patroller

• 4,803 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:29 PM

You should contact AA member Simius ...

I am a a huge huge fan of the IDE Plus 2.0 too. It's one of the best inventions since sliced bread.

#3 Larry OFFLINE  

Larry

River Patroller

• 4,083 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:04 PM

What rev are you looking for?  I have a rev C to sell, but it must have the EXTSEL line connected if you are using an Antonia 4MB with the 65816.  If you are using it in a regular 6502 Atari, no issues.  PM me if you are interested and in the U.S. (due to postage costs to Europe).

-Larry 

#4 TangentAudio OFFLINE  

TangentAudio

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 218 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:09 PM

Thanks!  I'm mostly looking to answer some burning 27 year old questions about what it would have been like to run an 8-bit Atari with a real PBI-based hard disk interface.  Around 1990 when I was still a teenager, I bought my last few Atari upgrades - namely an XF551 and a SpartaDOS X cart, to run on my 130XE... But shortly after that, I earned a bit more money and had a choice between a hard disk setup for the Atari or buying my first bare-bones 286 PC.. I went with the PC (with no regrets), but I'm still really curious what that 'alternate reality' would have been like had I stayed on the 8-bit.

I have a SIDE2 and an Ultimate 1MB on the way from Lotharek to play around with, but I'm still curious what something closer to a 'proper' PBI-based hard disk setup would have been like back in the day.  I know I was at least aware of the ICD MIO and the CSS Black Box back then, but they were expensive and I didn't know anyone who had one.  I doubt I'll be able to get my hands on one nowadays, and I really don't feel like mucking around with SCSI drives (though I'm pretty sure I have at least one or two stashed away).

#5 BillC OFFLINE  

BillC

Stargunner

• 1,896 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:30 PM

I don't know if he's still selling them, but Metalguy66 made a reproduction of the MIO a few years back.

http://rasterline.com/

His version uses standard PC modem/printer cables and a 30-pin SIMM, also the firmware has been updated to work with more SCSI HDDs.

http://atariage.com/...n/#entry1057073

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ide plus, ide+, ide plus 2.0

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users