IGNORED

Analogue NT Mini Hardware

Radfoo

Piece of crap. Buttons are laid out wrong. Why no love for the Dog Bone arrangement? Also the twin sticks are borderline useless as a modern controller without a full diamond button pad. I honestly want to know what went through the designers' heads when they created this monstrosity.

/endrant

A dpad and a joystick electrically are the same thing; you just use different muscle groups to actuate them.

Because there are people in China working full time to second-guess what people want for the clone consoles.

My personal opinion... just clone the "dogbone" SNES pad and be done with it. Apply some of that engineering to an Xbox 360 controller style grip (I hate the trigger buttons on all controllers, even the original SNES ones.) Use the SFC color scheme or the Xbox 360 color scheme. Or better yet put tri-color LED's behind the buttons and make them user programmable. That's the trend with motherboards and GPU's nowadays, why not gamepads?

While we are talking about this... why hasn't someone cloned a darn Powerglove. Yes I know it actually is useless for all but like two NES games, but with all the VR stuff out there, you'd think someone could have created a better one by now.

Although I do not mind the SNES-style placement of the B and A buttons, I share KS's other concerns. This is a huge, bulky controller. A good NES controller should be minimalist in design. You don't need shoulder buttons and you don't need analog sticks. The closest that the NES ever got to a general-purpose analog controller was the Power Glove and U-Force, and we know how crappy they were. I can't think of any NES games that would be improved by the use of an analog thumbstick, which has to be converted to digital 0/1 values anyway.

The most annoying thing about these 3rd-party chinese controllers is how they deal with turbo buttons. You may want to play a game with Turbo on the B button but not on the A button. The four-button approach, where you have a Turbo A and a Turbo B button next to the regular A and B buttons, is very awkward. This controller seems to have a turbo toggle that toggles the turbo for both buttons. There should be individual toggles for each button and level settings.

Finally, I wonder how the buttons are being processed through the controller. If the button contacts connect to a USB encoder chip, then those USB packets must be converted into the simple serial byte the NES controller sends. Conversion may add observable latency to the controller response compared to a regular NES controller.

Huh? That monstrosity comes with an NES plug??? Why the analog sticks then? What a hunk of junk... :???:

I stand by my statement that without a proper diamond, the sticks and triggers are borderline useless unless you create some very awkward mappings, since every modern game for PC, PS, and XB uses the diamond layout.

Though I rather like the tertiary AA/BB buttons as opposed to assigning turbo. It's only awkward when you need to hold one button and spray the other, which is extremely difficult on an original pad. Like with SHMUPs, you could spray bullets and tap the bomb when needed. Momentarily releasing the turbo bullet button for half a second to drop a bomb before resuming bullet spraying won't hinder your progress much.