IGNORED

Atari 2600 Official Release Date?

sramirez2008

Atarimania has Pong Sports year 1975

I've been trying to figure that one out for a while. My best guess is either that the game was coded in 1975 (which seems really early given the system's late '77 launch, but remember that the launch was delayed almost a year), or the date refers to home "Pong" products in general (the Sears version of Pong launched for Xmas '75, and of course was designed and made by Atari). I don't have any evidence to support either theory, but it's the best I can come up with.

Copyright dates on cart labels are dubious as often as not. Pac-Man and Defender are dated 1981 but didn't come out until 1982.

It's not limited to the Atari, either. The Bally Arcade's clone of Space Invaders is dated 1977 when its arcade source material didn't even come out until 1978.

I've been trying to figure that one out for a while. My best guess is either that the game was coded in 1975 (which seems really early given the system's late '77 launch, but remember that the launch was delayed almost a year), or the date refers to home "Pong" products in general (the Sears version of Pong launched for Xmas '75, and of course was designed and made by Atari). I don't have any evidence to support either theory, but it's the best I can come up with.

Copyright dates on cart labels are dubious as often as not. Pac-Man and Defender are dated 1981 but didn't come out until 1982.

It's not limited to the Atari, either. The Bally Arcade's clone of Space Invaders is dated 1977 when its arcade source material didn't even come out until 1978.

It's like trying to date an antique radio by the patent number on the label. "No, your radio wasn't made in 1949. It's most likely 15 years newer."

• Like 1