IGNORED

Emulators for the Atari 8bit...

Solomon_Man

All,

Looking whats available for the Atari 8 bit Emulators...Windows machine will be the main machine but I do have a few versions of Linux setup.

I am looking to use the Emulator for possibly learning Assembly and to explore programming languages available (C/Pascal/Basic) for the Atari (Software Development) ...I will also of course play a few games...:)

Thanks for the help,

Chris

I've had a lot of fun with this one for the 8-bit computers: http://atari800.sourceforge.net/

As with similar emulators, it takes certain machine ROMs to run. How you go about that is up to you.

I also wholeheartedly recommend a real 800xl, 65xe, 130xe, or even XEGS with a MyIDE-II cartridge. It's not very expensive to get into, opens the door for a huge amount of software, and is often even more enjoyable than emulation. The 800xl is likely to give you the best experience typing, and hence, doing longer programming projects, though I've heard that not all its versions are created equal.

Edited by Zuse

I also wholeheartedly recommend a real 800xl, 65xe, 130xe, or even XEGS...

Zuse,

I have actual machines covered...looking to write and test code on my PC (in the emulator or possible first test on emulator) and then move things over to the actual machines...this is all for learning purposes.

Currently I have a 400, 800, 600 XL,800XL, and a 1200 XL still setting things up and testing as they have been in storage for about 10 years. Have many 1050 drives (6) and another 2 I believe are Indus drives (put away yet). Printers (3 or 4 (put away)including that small Atari plotter - I always used a PC Printer with the adapter my father always used the Atari printers) I even have 2 tape decks....

Was into Atari 8 bit as a kid (1980's)..Became a professional software developer (BS/MS) (20 years about now)....back in 2000 went to the CCAG and bought a whole table more of stuff as the seller bought a school out of ATARI supplies (mostly used) and he did not want to carry it home..Also about this time I bought a SIO2PC cable from someone in Poland/did a lot of ebaying and at that time explored many things I missed as a kid.....Then my wife and I had kids (moved a few times).,..and everything was put into boxes...Honestly I never really got to go through everything I got at that last trip to CCAG (2000)...except maybe the Carts.

Worse thing about all this is back in the 80s I was just an end user so even loading disks etc will take me some time relearning/remembering tricks etc.

Looking at things today there seems to be a bunch more items to consider for my Atari(s) (SIO2BT or the SIO2SD)....

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Edited by Solomon_Man

All,

Looking whats available for the Atari 8 bit Emulators...Windows machine will be the main machine but I do have a few versions of Linux setup.

I am looking to use the Emulator for possibly learning Assembly and to explore programming languages available (C/Pascal/Basic) for the Atari (Software Development) ...I will also of course play a few games... :)

Thanks for the help,

Chris

I swear by the "atari800" emulator which works on both Windows and Linux.

edit: for development, if you use something like cc65, that runs natively on your PC, so you could use the better PC tools to write the programs, then have your workflow stuff the output into an AUTORUN.SYS on an .ATR image and automatically boot it into an emulator. Can't get much easier than that :)

Edited by zzip